12-18-2013

Michigan, USA

20 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 1 of 5

Y2P Frustrated and Disappointed

2013-12-18, 19:20 PM

I have been researching a new ultrabook for the past several months, and I have come close to going with the Y2P. But a number of issues that I have been reading here have prevented me from making the purchase:

1. The problems with the screen colors, and continuing problems even after the Bios update. This makes me doubtful about Lenovo's QA process.

2. The wifi card is already outdated; why in the world would Lenovo not use a dual band AC card? And there seems to have been all kinds of problems with the WiFi. I've read about replacing the card, but why shouldn't Lenovo make this available to customers who don't want to buy something already obsolescent?

3. Battery life is reported to be poor, and nowhere near what Lenovo claims it to be. There seems to be some kind of complicated fix for this as well, messing with voltages, but again, what a huge pain!

4. When I went to possibly purchase a unit today, despite my increasing misgivings, there were no models available with 8 gigs of ram. Someone on the chat window was exceptionally unhelpful in this regard, and was speaking to me from somewhere on the other side of the planet with broken English. I wonder if or when there might be a possible upgrade to the Y2P that might be a bit more attractive. I was ready to buy the i7, 8 gigs Ram, with as large a ssd as I could find, but no availability = no sale. I'm quite disappointed in Lenovo; the Yoga is a great design, but there seems to be serious lack of attention to what users want.

Solved! See the solution
Options

238 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Views: 2304
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Y2P Frustrated and Disappointed

2013-12-18, 21:48 PM

Anyone who is still having issues with the colors after applying the BIOS and Energy Manager fixes is either doing it wrong or has a defective machine.  The yellows on my Y2P after doing the fixes are perfect.

No AC card on wifi?  Buy one and install it.  You can pick up a Y2P for hundreds less than any other device with comparable specs.  Drop $30 on an AC card.

Battery life is what you would expect from a machine pushing 3200 x 1800 pixels.  If you want more you can reduce the resolution to 1920 x 1080 but then of course you lose some of the eye candy.

No 8 gig machines available?  Welcome to trying to buy an incredibly popular unbelievably low-priced machine a week before Christmas.  Does this really surprise you?

The Y2P is the best ultrabook/tablet you can buy at this pricepoint, period.  You want more for the same money?  Good luck with that.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

12-18-2013

Michigan, USA

20 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 3 of 5

2014-01-11, 21:53 PM

Mitchellvii, your commitment to the Y2P convinced me to keep on trying, and as soon as it was available, I got one fully loaded. Thank you.

Options

10 Posts

01-09-2014

NL

36 Signins

205 Page Views

• Views: 205
  • Message 4 of 5

2014-01-11, 22:37 PM

I'm surprised when I hear people say the battery life of the Y2P disappointed them. My subjective experience has been that it just keeps going and going. It's hard for me to find situations where I need to draw it down all the way to zero, especially with the ability to run it at low performance, low brightness and 1920x1080 resolution. Of course I link it to an outlet when I can, but that's hardly an inconvenience at all and simply a matter of common sense to do when using a laptop at home.

Options

26 Posts

04-15-2014

Chile

82 Signins

486 Page Views

• Views: 486
  • Message 5 of 5

2014-07-23, 3:40 AM

This Y2Problem laptop is a pain.  I've got two open case numbers open on it within three months and they want it returned for repair, spoke to Lenovo here in Chile and they won’t touch it as it’s under international warrantee, and Chile isn’t covered. Should have read the small print when I purchased it regarding the warrantee.

The WiFi in this thing is a joke like the rest of the people in the 111 page thread. The audio connector has a dodgy hardware problem...like others. Hours wasted applying updates, removing conflicting blue tooth driver, altering various settings with other power, blue tooth etc.

A never ending cycle of pissing about with it and when I come to reformatting as I no doubt will at some point, I’ll have the joy of figuring out what the hell I done before to fix the problems out of the box.

As for simply changing the AC card for 30USD, if you live and US fine but takes 4-6 weeks to arrive here and I’ll not be here then. So I’ve had one shipped to the UK from the US, so plus shipping, import tax and extra post office handling charges, it’s now shipped again to my next job location, more charges, so dropping 30USD is now looking like 100USD but I’ll get it fixed and have a working WiFi rather than waiting a couple of more months.

This is my own personal problem with getting a new AC card I know but that’s why a bought a high end laptop, not to have these problems when travelling and it does as it says on the tin!

I won’t be buying any Lenovo again for personal use or for work after this experience, should have stayed with Sony...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete