Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Joebarkho
Blue Screen Again
Views: 847
Message 1 of 13

Y2P fan on for way too long

My fan just stays on after nothing, light browsing? Fan on. Looking at the desktop? Fan on.
Anyone else?

I'm getting my 3rd replacement sometime next week.

I blame all problems on the horrible packaging. Laptop box in a bigger box with a little paper? There's going to be A LOT of bouncing around especially getting things from over seas.
Former Administrator
Views: 814
Message 2 of 13

Re: Y2P fan on for way too long

Hey Joe,

You say this is your 3rd Yoga 2 Pro?  

With regard to the fans, has it always been the case with this particular one or all of the ones you have had?  

Did this begin day one, or did it develop over time?   If it developed, perhaps there is some Windows update that has affected power management?

What kind of system temps are you seeing?

Mark

Joebarkho
Blue Screen Again
Views: 811
Message 3 of 13

Hey Mark,

I'm receiving a third.
The second is the one that always has a fan on.
It happened out of the box. It would stay on for prolonged periods of time, and I usually don't do anything intensive.
Temps are between 40-60C, but I'm not using it right now for specific numbers.
I can get back to you on that.
Former Administrator
Views: 808
Message 4 of 13

The behavior of your 2nd unit sounds different, but I noted Mitchelvii having problems with his fan intermittantly too...

Should we combine these two threads?

Mark

mitchellvii
HDMI
Views: 789
Message 5 of 13

Mark I believe my fan issues may have stemmed from the fan becoming temporarily unbalanced causing a slight grinding noise followed by some heavy speed cycling. My guess is that the system noticed the unbalance and went into some sort of protection mode to prevent overheating or perhaps to force the fan to rebalance.

Seems to have worked as fan has not grinded since. However it does still go into some speed cycling for about 2 minutes occasionally (like an engine revving).  This may be a maintenance routine to keep the fan balanced. Who knows?

vlangs
Serial Port
Views: 744
Message 6 of 13

Please help with the fan! When the fan isn't on you get 9/10 hours of batt life..basically just internet explorer.

Using chrome or most metro apps causes the fan to turn on for any and every page load which is ridiculous

Been looking for a way to control the fan speed, the other thread had some old app for the yoga 13 and rejects the config on the yoga 2 pro
Former Administrator
Views: 735
Message 7 of 13

vlangs,

Are you running the Lenovo preload?  What mode do you have energy management set to?  (And does changing it affect your fan?)

Did it do this since day 1, or after some Windows updates?   Yoga 2 Pro has been out  a while and we are just starting to hear these fan concerns, so I'm wondering if something has changed?

Could you try some software to check CPU temps?  Also, if you start the system cold, does this happen right away or after it heats up?

Mark

Joebarkho
Blue Screen Again
Views: 729
Message 8 of 13

Ok So my buddy has one, and I have two (one is being sent back)

His at 39C, the fan is off

My replacement (newest one) is at 36C and I could hear the fan. This one also has really off colors. My current and replacement both DO NOT have the bios update. I chose not to do it because the very first Y2P that I already sent back had issues with screen flickering at low brightness settings.

CPU ussage is 2-6% I'm not even touching it.

The 2nd one that Im sending back (I'm probably going to keep this one instead of the newest one because of the really off color) is quiet at 37C

This really sucks. I want to like this laptop so bad. I keep gettiing tempted to buy something else, but there isn't anything I like!

acvyse
Punch Card
Views: 723
Message 9 of 13

Use this for temps to help Mark out.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Former Administrator
Views: 717
Message 10 of 13

I saw your other thread on the color.

I'm still not clear why you didn't apply the BIOS and Power manager updates?   Most people reported success with them in the main "Yellow" thread.

It may take a few days, but we'll look into the fans.

Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors