Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PotOdds
Paper Tape
Views: 523
Message 1 of 5

Y2P: loose plug connection

I'm not sure if this is a design issue since there are no other complaints that I can find.

My OEM power plug has a difficulty time making proper connection to recharge the battery.  It's pretty loose, you can wiggle the power plug tip and there is enough movement to question the design of the plug.   Typically in a high product like an Apple MacBook with the MagSafe connector, it has a reassuring snap when connecting the power cable.   The Y2P just feels like it will fall out by turning it on the side and shaking it.

I bought the Pwr+ adapter on Amazon because it was highly rated and compatible with Y2P.   But it doesn't charge, no matter how much I wiggle the plug head.

Hoping for quick response before I bring the notebook to a repair shop

PotOdds
Paper Tape
Views: 495
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y2P: loose plug connection

This is why I love the Internet.  With some diligence, you can find almost anything and save quite a bit of money.

One of my side projects is to upgrade the WIFI to AC which looks pretty simple enough from multiple sources on the web ie YouTube.   This link is especially useful.  How To Upgrade the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro’s Wireless Card

Since I'm going to have to open the laptop anyway, I thought why not try to replace the power connector part myself.

According to the Y2P Hardware Maintenance Manual, Y2P HMM, the part number is 90204394, VIUU3 DC-IN Cable.   They are sold on eBay for about $29.

I'm conjecturing that the reason why the yellow plug jack is now loose is due to the jack's "pinching" mechanism no longer being taut.  Replacing it with a brand new jack should fix the problem.

Has anyone ever replaced the jack before or removed multiple layers in laptop?   Is it an easy job or is painstakingly precise?  

I'm planning on going ahead in either case cuz I'm a cheap guy Smiley Happy .   It would probably cost me $100 for the computer repair shop to fix.

PotOdds
Paper Tape
Views: 483
Message 3 of 5

More research on the net produced this great Youtube video showing how to disconnect various components.

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro 13" Laptop How To Repair Guide

There is the following pieces blocking access to the yellow jack

1. M.2 SSD drive

2. LCD hinge

3. right board

Gonna order the part of eBay.   Will post my results when done.

PotOdds
Paper Tape
Views: 455
Message 4 of 5

Update

Got the new 7260NGW card from Comega City on Amazon.  Installed it without a hitch.   I can see my 5G connection from my Wireless N router.   The speeds are insane.   I'm getting 15-19MBps downloads.   I don't even have an Wireless-AC router!

I really hope the power plug upgrade goes just as smoothly. Smiley Happy

PotOdds
Paper Tape
Views: 421
Message 5 of 5

I got the power plug and it was relatively straight forward to install it.   I noticed that the old plug had a crack which explained why it was no longer snug.   New plug is working great.   Now even the Pwr+ adaptor is working.  I guess I won't have to return it after all.

Like the saying goes, I love it when a plan comes together Smiley Happy

If anyone is on the fence about doing this upgrade, I can recommend doing it.  A+

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors