cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
millar14
Punch Card
Views: 297
Message 1 of 7

Y500 - Buy a Backlit Keyboard from Lenovo or Anyone Else?

Hello,

I was just wondering, as the title says, if it's possible to buy a backlit keyboard from Lenovo or any other place for my laptop? If not possible to buy from Lenovo directly, any other suggestions?

I bought a Lenovo Yoga 500-14IBD (14" screen, to confirm) and I am pretty happy with it for the amount it cost, but ideally it would also have a backlit keyboard. But as this isn't a flag ship or even premium device to an extent this feature is not present - even though backlit keyboards in my opinion shouldn't just be exclusively found in premium devices.

I'm not big on customising computers more than just simple things like upgrading the RAM but I would definitely consider installing a backlit keyboard in this laptop if the installation wasn't too difficult and the keyboard itself isn't too expensive.

Thanks,

Moderator comment: Model added to subject for clarity.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 287
Message 2 of 7

Re: Y500 - Buy a Backlit Keyboard from Lenovo or Anyone Else?

Unfortunately, each keyboard is usually made for that specific build line. Unless the Yoga 500 14 has a backlit keyboard as an option, you'll be likely unable to find one, unless someone modifies them (which in itself is very difficult due to the thin profile of keyboards nowadays).

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 282
Message 3 of 7

Good day.

Have a look at your device's hardware manual to get an idea of the tasks required to replace the keyboard (which is integrated into the top cover of the base section):

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_yoga_500_hmm_201504.pdf

Page 55 is the specific section, but it requires a complete tear-down of the machine.

That said, it would seem that there is a backlit keyboard (both US and UK) shown in the parts list section. Please see page 80, for the items that include "BKL" in their descriptions. Those part numbers should be helpful in confirming that they are indeed backlit.

Hope this helps your research.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

millar14
Punch Card
Views: 278
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for your reply.

I looked into what you said about that maybe they just aren't available for my device and I found a video (link at end) of review of the laptop on youtube, albeit not in my country (UK), and the video is of the exact model number as can be seen from the first few seconds of the video and about 10 seconds in you can see the spacebar on the keyboard has the orange keyboard backlight shortcut. 

So from that video it definitely looks like my device can be equipped with one, it's just a matter of getting the part itself and installing it personally or professionally.

Link of referenced video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEUzphPiZQA

Thanks gain,

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 274
Message 5 of 7

You're welcome.

It might be worth contacting Support (info below) to see if they can take an order or advise of an alternate parts source.

Regards.

United Kingdom

IDEA-branded and B, C, E, G, H, K, N, Q, V, Y Series Products

English
0333-777-3991 (National Rate)

9:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

millar14
Punch Card
Views: 213
Message 6 of 7

Didn't get anywhere with this. Emailed support too and they emailed me back with a link that didn't work basically.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 188
Message 7 of 7

As noted above, there is a few part numbers for backlit keyboards in the HMM. Have you called support asking for the parts department to order the FRU?

Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors