01-17-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 4

Y520 WIFI adapter missing after January 2020 Win10 Patch update

2020-01-17, 5:45 AM

My Y520 automatically received the January, 2020 Win-10 'Patch Tuesday' update today.  After it rebooted, the WIFI adapter had disappeared.  It didn't even show up in the Control Panel list.  I manually downloaded and installed the device driver.  After rebooting multiple times, the entry showed up in Device Manager with an exclamation point, saying "Error 10, more setup was needed", but I couldn't figure what else was needed.  I tried removing and reinstalling the driver, but got the same error.  Finally, just to get it working, I restored to the restore point from before the update, and it came up fine.  So the update did something to the WIFI device driver.  

I assume this is going to happen again when Windows tries to update again, and I have another duplicate Y520 which will update in a day or so, if things happen like normal, so I'd like to find out what is going on. Vantage on both systems shows that all system updates are current. The adapter is the Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A.

Has anybody else had this happen with the January Windows update yet? 

Thanks,

Ron

Options

736 Posts

08-02-2018

US

411 Signins

10354 Page Views

• Views: 10354
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Y520 WIFI adapter missing after January 2020 Win10 Patch update

2020-01-17, 12:36 PM

Hi ,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Try disabling automatic Windows driver update to prevent this issue to happen every time  there's a Windows update. 

Here's the steps:

1.  Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.

2. Make your way to System and Security.

3. Click System.

4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.

5. Select the Hardware tab.

6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.

7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.

Hope this helps.

Auxen

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

1 Posts

01-17-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-01-17, 16:52 PM

Thanks.  I can try that, but at some point, I'll need to update drivers again.  Hopefully something will have changed by then. 

I had similar issues with my old HP laptop, with odd things like the DVD drive or sound driver being disabled after about every other monthly update, mostly due to messed up Registry entries.  So far, I hadn't had anything similar happen with either of these Lenovos. 

Options

736 Posts

08-02-2018

US

411 Signins

10354 Page Views

• Views: 10354
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-01-17, 17:47 PM

I understand.

Keep us posted.

Regards!

Auxen

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete