Options

4 Posts

10-19-2014

INDIA

10 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 1 of 6

YOGA 2 13 - Need Guidance before Buying.

2014-10-19, 11:15 AM

Hello Guys,

I'm a student and about to buy Yoga 2 13 [NOT PRO].
This is the config available in the local market - i5 4210U|4GB|500GB*8GB SSHD

I have quite a few questions. Please be kind enough to answer few (if not all) of these.

1. I have read about the refereshed line of this same lappy. Is this the refereshed series ?  
Anyway to verify it ?

2. Additionally, I'm planning to buy a ssd already after i read about the awesome empty M.2 Slot in this lappy. Which one should i go for ? Do the speeds of mSATA and M.2 SSD's differ ?  Which is the fastest M.2 SSD available ?

3. Regarding the wifi card, is their sometype of problem in this particular card other than the fact that it does not support 5GHz band ?  Is it faulty or has poor reception or anyother problem ?  Is it really worth dropping the purchase?

4. After Moving the OS to SSD, how mch time does it take to boot up and load up the drivers ? Generally laptops with SSD's bootup in less than 7secs with everything loaded up and in ready to work mode. Does it work the same way after SSD has been installed or does  it take time to fireup just like a normal laptop with HDD ?

5. I know the RAM is soldered, but can it be increased to 8GB if needed through lenovo Customer Center ?

6. I read in reviews that keyboard/trackpad is sluggish and lacks tactile response.  Is it so ?

I would be obliged if you could please take of some spare time and help me decide whether to go ahead with the purchase or drop it. 

Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: YOGA 2 13 - Need Guidance before Buying.

2014-10-19, 14:56 PM

wrote:

Hello Guys,

I'm a student and about to buy Yoga 2 13 [NOT PRO]. ----> Are you sure? The Y2 has crappy wifi and to find one with a 7260 AC card is hard. Unless you find one with a preinstalled AC card, you won't be able to manually upgrade do to a BIOS whitelist, which does not cover post-AC card installation(s). The Y2P can be bought in the States with a 7260 AC card and if anything, it can be upgraded post sales.

Wifi is an important part of a computer (in today's day and age) and frankly, Lenovo's computers HAVE A HARD TIME CONNECTING/STAYING CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET!!!!

This is the config available in the local market - i5 4210U|4GB|500GB*8GB SSHD ---> 4 gb RAM is TOO little. Chrome/FF/IE now-a-days take up like 1 gig a pop. The OS takes up 1 or 2 by default.  Trust me, 8gb is the way to go.

I have quite a few questions. Please be kind enough to answer few (if not all) of these.

1. I have read about the refereshed line of this same lappy. Is this the refereshed series ?  
Anyway to verify it ? The refreshed Y2 comes with a 7260 AC wifi card, not a 7260 N or Realtek N card, like the earlier Y2. However, note the Y3P has just been released.

2. Additionally, I'm planning to buy a ssd already after i read about the awesome empty M.2 Slot in this lappy. Which one should i go for ? Do the speeds of mSATA and M.2 SSD's differ ?  Which is the fastest M.2 SSD available ? M.2 is better but also more expensive. I can't answer the 2nd one since I have never looked.

3. Regarding the wifi card, is their sometype of problem in this particular card other than the fact that it does not support 5GHz band ?  Is it faulty or has poor reception or anyother problem ?  Is it really worth dropping the purchase? I think the WiFi is a deal breaker. I use the Internet constantly. A laptop without stable Internet sucks. Imagine trying to download the same file over 10x, just to get 1 copy. Also, it gets frustrating really quick. However the 7260 AC card WITH the right driver (which may need to be installed as post-sales troubleshooting) will fix the WiFi problem. My signature below contains a link to the Y2P Fix and Tips thread. Use that thread to find a good WiFi driver for the 7260 AC card.

4. After Moving the OS to SSD, how mch time does it take to boot up and load up the drivers ? Generally laptops with SSD's bootup in less than 7secs with everything loaded up and in ready to work mode. Does it work the same way after SSD has been installed or does  it take time to fireup just like a normal laptop with HDD ? My laptop came with a SSD, but my old Lenovo laptop sports an added (post-sale) SSD and its inital HDD. The SSD carries the Window's installation and works like a beauty. Then again, theoretically, this is the expected outcome.

5. I know the RAM is soldered, but can it be increased to 8GB if needed through lenovo Customer Center ? No, buy 8gb now. Else, you will regret it. 

6. I read in reviews that keyboard/trackpad is sluggish and lacks tactile response.  Is it so ? Don't know. I own the Y2P.

I would be obliged if you could please take of some spare time and help me decide whether to go ahead with the purchase or drop it. 

Options

265 Posts

07-04-2014

EU

924 Signins

7415 Page Views

• Views: 7415
  • Message 3 of 6

2014-10-19, 22:25 PM
In addition to the Indest answers
wrote:

Hello Guys,

I'm a student and about to buy Yoga 2 13 [NOT PRO].
This is the config available in the local market - i5 4210U|4GB|500GB*8GB SSHD

Anyway to verify it ?

2. Additionally, I'm planning to buy a ssd already after i read about the awesome empty M.2 Slot in this lappy. Which one should i go for ? Do the speeds of mSATA and M.2 SSD's differ ?  Which is the fastest M.2 SSD available ?

The Yoga 2 13 has a special connector for the 5mm HDD and a free m.2 position.

Get a compatible m.2 SSD (e.g. M550 256GB) as system drive and you can keep the HDD for (sequential) data.

3. Regarding the wifi card, is their sometype of problem in this particular card other than the fact that it does not support 5GHz band ?  Is it faulty or has poor reception or anyother problem ?  Is it really worth dropping the purchase?

If no BIOS 1.09 and Intel 7260 AC dual band, DO NOT buy the Y2 13

4. After Moving the OS to SSD, how mch time does it take to boot up and load up the drivers ? Generally laptops with SSD's bootup in less than 7secs with everything loaded up and in ready to work mode. Does it work the same way after SSD has been installed or does  it take time to fireup just like a normal laptop with HDD ?

5. I know the RAM is soldered, but can it be increased to 8GB if needed through lenovo Customer Center ?

You will need 8GB. If not now, then in a few months

6. I read in reviews that keyboard/trackpad is sluggish and lacks tactile response.  Is it so ?

I'm fine with the keyboard except for the space bar, which seems to be specific for only my Yoga ..

Options

43 Posts

08-13-2014

United States of America

279 Signins

1427 Page Views

• Views: 1427
  • Message 4 of 6

2014-10-20, 6:05 AM

Listen to the others. The convertible form factor and empty M.2 slot make it seem like a must-have little machine, but the wi-fi problems really do ruin it. 

You should also look at the number of complaints in this forum from people whose screens have cracked for no apparent reason and were not covered by Lenovo under warranty.

These Yogas, even the non-pro version, are expensive. Take a look at what else you can buy for the same money or less, there's so much to choose from.

As a Yoga 2 13 owner myself I can tell you it has not been a joy to own.  I'd rather have plain old laptop that's durable and reliable than a fancy multi-mode convertible that's so prone to breakdown.

Options

4 Posts

10-19-2014

INDIA

10 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2014-10-20, 7:36 AM

Where can i get the one with 7260 AC Card ?  I just went through lenovo's site and I'm unable to see any Yoga 2 with 7260 AC Card.  Can you just give me one link where its up for sale or any official link ?

Options

4 Posts

10-19-2014

INDIA

10 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2014-10-20, 7:38 AM

Thanks indest for such a detailed reply.  Thanks a lot.

I'm unable to see the refreshed line up (the one with 7260AC) even on the lenovo's site.
Can you please point me in the correct direction ?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms