Australia

2 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 42 of 112

Re: YOGA 3 14 - How to reclaim my Esc key and permanently disable Paper Display

2015-10-10, 11:50 AM

Hi guys,

I have had this issue, and have been waiting for a different solution, as the Yoga 3 14 i have came with an app called Lenovo Settings, it lets you reverse the Fn function, and let you just press ESC for the ESC function, and Fn + ESC enables Paper Display and so on. 

The fix i need is you need to go into this after you restart your PC or else it reverts back to ESC = Paper Display. 

Can Lenovo fix this?

Options

5 Posts

09-07-2015

uk

11 Signins

170 Page Views

• Views: 170
  • Message 43 of 112

2015-10-26, 15:57 PM

Dear Lenovo,

Please fix this issue, after 4 months of owning this laptop I have RSI in my left shoulder and joint pain in my left thumb. My usage pattern has not changed, I have never had any RSI before, I have always used portable comptuers, several of these have been Lenovo's. 

To press the ESC key I have to lift my hand from the palm rest, and stretch my thumb under my palm to perform the chord Fn+ESC. If this was an occasional movement it would not be an issue, however I press escape over 100 times per hour, this is not unusal at all for anybody who programs a computer, or for that matter uses even MS Excel.

Esc-Enter are "Cancel/OK" according to all of the windows UI guidelines, to the point that you cannot be "Certified for Windows (any version)" test if you launch a Dialog which doesn't treat Esc as cancel, web site accessibility rules say the same.

I don't need to justify the importance of the Esc keystroke to Lenovo, because Thinkpads advertise how great their keyboard layout is due to the enlarged Esc key. Ergonmics are key at Lenovo, Right?

There was no advertisement to say that the Yoga 3 does not have an ESC key but instead uses a combination of keys that are unergonmic to press.

So as a consumer, who's bought at least 4 Lenovo computers in the last 10 years how was I supposed to know that your corporate view on Esc had changed. That these days people don't press ESC very much any more what they really want is a button that makes their display turn a kind of dirty brown color before crashing HP's printer driver driver and then crashing Adobe's Acrobat  reader.

I can understand why my retailers view that they easiliy refund me 4 months after I bought the laptop especially as I am requesting they resolve a problem which is "by manufacturer design" as sending it back to lenovo will not resolve the problem.

Fix this problem, the computer DOES NOT WORK I cannot use it without an external keyboard when it becomes not a portable computer. It had a windows compatible sticker on the box, however when used with Windows Software the computer is unable to pass even the most rudimentry "Compatible for" test let alone "Certified for" because I can press that Esc key all day and it doesn't cancel the current action. Because of that none of the Accessibility features of windows work correctly (let alone any applications), disable people cannot use this machine because ESC is needed to cancel Sticky Keys which EXIST to stop people needing to press keyboard chords (irony not intended).

Please understand, I actually like the computer, aside from the pain it caused me for 2 weeks before I figured out what was causing the RSI. I want a refund, or a replacement with a proper keyboard that has an ESC key. I am out of pocket £800, I want that money back, the retailer isn't at fault however by law they do have to refund me under the description of goods act. Sadly for them they too didn't know that Lenovo had moved to a "No Escape" policy.

Options

1 Posts

11-05-2015

Alaska

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 44 of 112

2015-11-05, 21:07 PM

same issue.

I love to push Ctrl+Alt+Esc for my task manager. but now its Ctrl+Alt+Fn+Esc, when its set to use my Fucntion keys as legacy.

Also, why would the option say to use my keys as normal unless it really meant it?

Options

2 Posts

11-06-2015

Germany

3 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 45 of 112

[SOLVED] Re: YOGA 3 14 - How to reclaim my Esc key and permanently disable Paper Display

2015-11-06, 21:42 PM

I have spent some time debugging this in Linux now and have come up with a patch to solve it, posted at https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/7573501/. I would appreciate if others could test it so we can integrate it into Linux-4.4 and later, or possibly even backport.

To clarify: the Fn+ESC key combination (or plain ESC when FnLock is set in BIOS) generates a WMI event with GUID "26CAB2E5-5CF1-46AE-AAC3-4A12B6BA50E6". My patch intercepts this event and generates an ESC key event. Other operating systems should be able to do the same thing. I have tested this on a Yoga 3 1170, but the other models that are affected by this bug should work with the same solution.

Options

23 Posts

09-09-2015

DE

53 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 46 of 112

Re: [NOT SOLVED] Re: YOGA 3 14 - How to reclaim my Esc key and permanently disable Paper Display

2015-11-07, 10:56 AM

hi,

there is allready a similar solution for windows...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/YOGA-3-14-How-to-reclaim-my-Esc-key-and-permanently-disable/m-p/2174042#M32993

BUT pls do not mark this as "solved" !!! we'r still waiting for a solution from lenovo. something like a biosupdate.

cu

inteks 

Options

11 Posts

11-18-2015

CZ

36 Signins

290 Page Views

• Views: 290
  • Message 47 of 112

2015-11-18, 1:36 AM

@yogahoff Yes i need exactly the same thing. Fix the ESC after the reboot Lenovo! *baby dolphin with sad eyes*

Options

1 Posts

11-20-2015

Canada

5 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 48 of 112

2015-11-21, 0:20 AM
Hi Inteks,
You are clearly the man when it comes to sorting this out. Is there a way you can dumb this instruction down? Hijacking the Esc key is probably the single most stupidest thing I have ever come across when it comes to using a computer. Hi idiotic does someone in Lenovo have to be to do this? Its CRAZY. I am sooo frustrated as I do like my Yoga 3 14 but it is now unusable. Why not just do it the other way? Where you have to press fn+esc for the useless paper display, something you really only have to hit once. I use Autocad and I escape out of commands about 50 times a minute. Not been able to use the esc key (as it should be used) has doubled my work time. I know the last post on here was like sept 13 but if anyone could help i would appreciate it as lenovo seem to have gone underground on this?
Options

9 Posts

09-04-2015

USA

9 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 49 of 112

2015-11-21, 5:05 AM

There are many bad decisions that many laptop makers make.  Which is why my main development laptop has been Dell for the past 15 years.  

ESC solution posted here works really well.  I just got it installed and it even handles shortcuts like Ctrl+Shift+Esc.

The biggest problem for me now is that HOME & END keys require function key presses.  And that's what most laptop manufacturers don't get.  They think that most people don't need home for normal use.  While more advanced people know that Ctrl + Shift + End is a shortcut to select until the end of the line.  Which I use in my normal programming day at least 100 times.  Which is the main reason I prefer normal keyboards with Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn block and stayed with laptops that had those blockes as long as I could.

Options

4 Posts

11-25-2015

AR

16 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 50 of 112

2015-11-25, 19:19 PM

Just my two cents...

I observe that, when you configure Fn for legacy, the keys Home, End, PgUp and PgDn have exactly the same functionality as when you configure Fn keys for multimedia.... I think the ESC key should be the same... NEVER swap function... always ESC by default... the same as Home, End, PgUp and PgDn, they never change... Fn swap should be only for Fn... (ie. F1 to F12). That would be the expected and desired behavior.

Surely this should be fixed in BIOS...

Thanks

PS: this is my first post here... PLEASE.. please please... fix this!!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete