Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dws
Paper Tape
Views: 13,477
Message 1 of 15

YOGA 300 11by No tablet mode or screen touch after upgrade to windows 10

I have a basic model of the YOGA 300 (11 BY).  Due to size limitations of the eMMC drive, I couldn't upgrade to windows 10 (not enough disk space).

So I downloaded the windows 10 installer/ISO to a 32gb SD Card, and upgraded from there.. actually (probably a mistake in retrospect) I did a clean install..

Windows 10 runs with no problems, and I downloaded./installed all the Lenovo drivers for windows 10 for this machine.

Unfortunately I now have two issues:

1. When I flip the screen into tablet mode, the laptop doesn't seem to realise, and so I don't get the auto-tablet mode that I would expect?

2. Even with all the Lenovo drivers for this machine installed, I do not get any touch-screen response at all.. only mouse driven.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S:  Anyone with the same version of YOGA 300 with an eMMC who wish to gain more drive space?  You can buy a cheap USB 3.0 slimline USB disk (because the SD Card sticks out a bit) and create a VHD which gives you a second "real drive"... this was particularlly useful when wanting to store my dropbox/onedrive sync locations!

lookoutsir
What's DOS?
Views: 13,336
Message 2 of 15

Re: YOGA 300 11by No tablet mode or screen touch after upgrade to windows 10

Exactly the same problem here too.

tomm88
What's DOS?
Views: 13,236
Message 3 of 15

has anybody managed to sort this?

I have the same problem in terms of it not detecting what operation mode it is in and rotating....tablet, stand, tent etc.

But my touch screen does work...not sure how! i didn't do anything different but restarted...

lookoutsir
What's DOS?
Views: 13,225
Message 4 of 15

No, no joy yet and Lenovo UK support seem impossible to contact.

I saw a thread on a forum regarding a similar issue for a different Yoga model and the solution there seemed to be running the device troubleshooter. Tried it for the 300 11by and no joy Smiley Sad

dws
Paper Tape
Views: 13,220
Message 5 of 15

Yes, same here, not able to get through to any lenovo support people. I know is a base level machine, however would be nice to get the full usage from it.. Windows 10 works great, however would be great to flip into tablet mode and use the touch screen..

I think all the drivers seem to be there, although I noticed there is no screen input device driver, and of course nothing to detect the mode change..

Hopefully lenovo will sort soon..
yoga_300_11
What's DOS?
Views: 13,144
Message 6 of 15

Hi

Am currently runing Windows 8. We had the same issue and after removing Harmony and ending programs through the task manager such as the 'ymc' and all the Mcfee tasks as it seemed this was stuck in an update loop.

That still didnt solve the problem.

The hard drive was becoming full and for no reason. Running the One Key programme I cleaned up the entire computer.

This seemed to be th place that temporay files can be deleted. After this and a full restart the hard drive went from 1.76 to 4.5GB free and solved this problem.

Windows 10 has a new setting.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/enable-tablet-mode-windows-10

Hope that helps!

dws
Paper Tape
Views: 12,932
Message 7 of 15

Re: YOGA 300 11by No tablet mode or screen touch after upgrade to windows 10 - SOLVED!!!

Okay, well the following finally solved things for me!   

As mentioned in the original post, I had to install windows 10 from scratch.. not enough space on the 32gb eMMC (although I found a few useful bits to gain a whole lot of space! will mentioned in a min...).

Anyway firstly, the main issues of the touch-screen / tablet mode not working after windows 10 upgrade:

- I'm sure I tried this before, however I re-downloaded all of the drivers for the YOGA 300 11-BY  **EXCEPT** the 
  BIOS update.. I think it actually warns you that the BIOS update is only for the FLEX model, not the YOGA 300

- Unfortunately I am not sure of the order I re-installed the drivers, however when I installed them, I had a warning
  that the drivers on the system were "newer".. even so, I still installed the ones I downloaded..  I think I loaded
  the VGA driver last if that is any use?

Basically after the above and a restart, the touch screen / tablet mode worked!!!  I am sure I tried re-installing drivers before, however can't be sure what/if all them etc.

** DISK SPACE **

Yes, I knew the YOGA 300 was a budget machine with the 32gb eMMC drive, however I wasn't aware just how much space is taken up with the old OS backup and with windows 10, a recovery install partition.

Basically I have windows 10 (with fixed touch screen etc), Office 365 (full) loaded and a few other apps etc, and I still have nearly 15gb disk space free !!

One thing I did is purchase a 32gb slimline USB disk (could have been an SD card, however it sticks out a bit).. now I am sure you could purchase a 64 or even 128gb USB slimline disk for 20-30 gbp?  Anyway, the key is to use a bit of startup script to mount the USB drive as a VHD (virtual HD) which enables windows to view it has a "real" drive.  The reason for this is you can use this drive as the default drive for all pics/downloads/documents and so on.. if you are like me, I have dropbox and onedrive.. and so they also sit on that VHD which means they don't take space off from the limited eMMC...

The other thing I did is delete the old OS backup (approx 3.5gb) and also with a bit of work, remove the recovery partition for windows 10.. essentially that is why I have a a lot spare - however I realise if I need to "recover" or re-install windows 10, I will have to do that from a USB boot disk which is how I installed windows 10 in the first place, so it's really not an issue.  I used a utility (free for one use) called "EaseUS Partition" which enabled me to delete the recovery partition and merge it with the main partition (C: Drive).. sure, it needs a little technical knowledge, but not rocket science at least !!  

I will try to document / write up the steps for the above it will help.

lesl
What's DOS?
Views: 12,823
Message 8 of 15

Re: YOGA 300 11by No tablet mode or screen touch after upgrade to windows 10 - SOLVED!!!

wow thats great it worked.. please can you let me know were you downloade your drivers 

dws
Paper Tape
Views: 12,821
Message 9 of 15

Yes for sure, it's the main Lenovo support site...

http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-300-11iby

remember to only download the drivers for this model (300-11iby) - mainly as some of the bios update drivers say "only for lenovo flex"

Hope it helps.. certainly working nicely for me now..

Quite a nice machine now I have freed up the disk space too, and of course having the touchscreen back working in windows 10.  I use onenote a lot with a stylus, and it really is very quick for that handwriting type thing.

Anyway, hope you get it to work !

el83
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,267
Message 10 of 15

I have been having the space problem and upgrade problem as well! just bought yoga 300-11 iby! I will try to use your advice! are there anywhere any instructions for the clean install of windows 10 instead of upgrade? What about the order of drivers? Does lenovo have any directions? Thank a lot!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors