Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crxsx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 800
Message 1 of 6

YOGA 520 battery showing less duration time after using conservation mode

Hello,

I'm having an issue that's been bothering me since a couple of days ago.

During the first month, my 1.5 month old YOGA 520 14IKB battery icon displayed 8-9 hours when fully charged. However, I had to work with the laptop plugged in for a while, so I activated the conservation mode. It charged the battery up to 60% and then stopped it. I use that configuration for about 2 weeks and then some days ago I disabled the conservation mode in order to have more juice while unplugged.

However, now the estimate time for the battery to run out reduced drastically to about... 3hours!!! I tried to discharge it until 5% and the charge to 100% but that didn't fix it... I also read that could be a problem of outdated drivers but all my drivers are up to date (according to the Lenovo site). There are, however, updates for the graphics cards on Intel and NVIDIA sites, but the Intel tool says that Lenovo has a custom driver for the UHD 620 and probably that is also the case with NVIDIA.

Could anyone, by chance, give me any tip on how I can restore my battery time? Thank you. 

Highlighted
Crxsx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 757
Message 2 of 6

Re: YOGA 520 battery showing less duration time after using conservation mode

Hello

Meanwhile I've noticed that Lenovo has a new driver for the NVIDIA card for the version Yoga 520-14IKB (Type 80X8) dated from July 31 2018. My version, however, is the Yoga 520-14IKB (Type 81C8) and the latest NVIDIA driver shown is from May.

I have also installed this driver Lenovo System Interface Foundation  which I found on the forum and appeared on the downloads for Yoga 520-14IKB (Type 80X8) , but not on the Yoga 520-14IKB (Type 81C8) page. But since it said it was suitable for all ideapad systems, I figured it would be OK to install.

I'm running my laptop unplugged again and it is showing the same 3 hours - 3 hours 20 tops, though...

Also, maybe I should mention that my battery has 51,14 Wh and completed only 15 cicles, according to Lenovo Vantage.

I also thought that maybe even having disabled the conservation mode and it show it charging to 100% on the icon, maybe that 100% corresponds to the 60% it had on Conservation Mode? I read somewhere on the forum that sometimes there are miscommunications with the battery firmware. 

Any suggestions please? Thank you.

Crxsx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 730
Message 3 of 6

In case anyone has the same issue: a system restore fixed my problem. I don't think I'll be using conservation mode again, though.

Chorongie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 651
Message 4 of 6

Hi,

How do you get 8-9hrs display for the battery life? 

I bought my Yoga520 recently but the highest battery life it shows is ~5hrs+ only and usually its ~2-3hrs+ which is far below my expectation as i bought this wanting a long battery life for normal usage.

Am i doing it wrongly?

Anyone able to help me please?

Thanks!

Crxsx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 630
Message 5 of 6

Hi there,

Lenovo laptops come in different configurations. And this specific model (Yoga 520 14IKB Type 81C8 ) is sold with at least two different batteries. The one I got is 51,84 Wh (you can see what kind of battery you have in Lenovo Vantage). Right now is charged to 100% and it shows me that will last for 9h28m. Of course that time can decrease depending on what you do with your laptop or if your screen is too bright. If I play a game, which I don't do often on battery mode, maybe it lasts 5 hours or so, but for watching videos, browsing the Internet or writing documents, it seems it lasts forever!  Also, I never let the battery drain totally before recharging it again (whenever possible) and it still has the same 15 cycles since the time I last wrote here. Really, when I bought this laptop I didn't expect that the battery would be this good so I was pleasantly surprised.

If you have the same battery as me, and if you ever had more time than what is shown now, maybe you can try a System Restore to see if it fixes the issue. 

Chorongie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 616
Message 6 of 6

Hello! Thanks for the reply.

We got the same model and my battery shows 52.5 Wh.

Whats your brightness level usually? 

And what game do you play usually to get ~5hrs? I might need to test it out too.

I might really try a system restore if the problem persist but i hope to avoid that if possible as i have put quite a few school and work stuff on this laptop already =/

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors