Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
racarlos
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,302
Message 1 of 14

YOGA 700 Yoga Mode Control high CPU usage in Rundll32

Hello All,

I have an issue with my YOGA 700 laptop when logged in multiple accounts simultaneously. Whenever an account is left logged on and the user is switched as opposed to logging off, the cpu usage ramps up very high with several RUNDLL32 processes being the culprit. I have checked the RUNDLL32 processes with Process Explorer and the command line are as follows:

C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe C:\ProgramData\LenovoTransition\Server\x64\EnableAutoRotation.dll,RunCustomMonitor

The directory is as follows: 

C:\ProgramData\LenovoTransition\Server\x64\

The only solution I have found is restarting the laptop. The problems comes back when again more than one user is logged in. Also, the rundll32 processes only run high cpu on one account at a time and there doesn't seem to be a preference for a specific account, all of them are plagued one at a time with the problem. Disabling the Yoga Mode Control service is a fix but that breaks the mode control which is essential in this laptop. I have tried installing all the available software on the Software page foor the YOGA 700. The rundll32 processes drain the battery very fast and I can't always log off other users when they have apps open! 

I have posted a screenshot of process explorer showing 2 rundll32.exe processes using 25% cpu usage each. However, sometimes up to 4 rundll32.exe processes open up and they use combined 100% cpu usage, which makes the laptop run very hot and slow. In those occassions, a restart is unavoidable. 

Anyone can help with this or could this be passed to the development team for an update? My YOGA 700 is still in warranty, should I contact customer services regarding this?

Thank you all.

Ramin

popy
Punch Card
Views: 7,196
Message 2 of 14

Re: YOGA 700 Yoga Mode Control high CPU usage in Rundll32

Hey, i have the issue also on my yoga 900.

There are 4x child rundll32 processes created from ymc.exe (Yoga Mode Control) which goes crazy when two or more users logged in.

Every proccess uses 25% which results in 100% cpu load!

Is there any fix out there?

PS: i have also contacted Lenovo support regarding this issue. Lets see if they answer. Here are links in forum with similar issues:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/ll06_en/message-id/44513

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-900-Excessive-Fan-spin/m-p/3389337/hi...

thx

racarlos
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,124
Message 3 of 14

There are new drivers for Yoga 700 Energy Management, Mode Control and Lenovo Utility. Also a BIOS update. Try installing those first. If this doesn't resolve the problem, the Onekey initial backup recovery did the trick for me. I just had to go through all the bloatware removal again and updating windows 10 and of course restoring my backed up files since OneKey Recovery does not give option to keep personal files, everything is deleted so BACKUP PERSONAL FILES!. CPU usage is normal now.

I made a manual OneKey Backup now to a USB in case it happens again so I don't need to go through the process of removing bloatware and updating windows 10 again. 

racarlos
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,111
Message 4 of 14

After this post I made sure I installed the latest drivers from the Lenovo Website and it seemed to break the stability of the system and the issue came back! This means I will have to try system restore or even OneKey restore the backup I made manually. DO NOT install Yoga Mode Control from the website, the silent driver installs Lenovo provides just seem to break stuff!

lenovogeorge
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,061
Message 5 of 14

I have the exact same issue on a brand new Lenovo Flex 4. This must be happening to thousands of people who have these models of Lenovo laptops. I'm guessing most people just don't notice because they don't have multiple users, or they simply aren't technical enough to notice the cpu is getting ramped up.

In any case, this is a show stopper for me. I'm not going to put up with my CPU running high all the time for no reason. I've only had the laptop for 4 days and am now to the point of deciding wether or not I'll return it. If Lenovo continues to choose to not provide a solution, I'm returning it and buying something else.

btw, I ran the Lenovo Utilities and all my drivers are up to date. I've updated Windows 10, so it is also current.

lenovogeorge
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,058
Message 6 of 14

I have exactly the same problem!! Lenovo fix this!! I like my new laptop, but am planning to return it if this is not resolved. My cpu runs so high the fan constantly kicks in.
popy
Punch Card
Views: 7,041
Message 7 of 14

As a workaround until its fixed, disable service "Yoga Mode Control" (ymc.exe) under windows services.

Sure you loose the automatic tablet mode question, when you wrap around the display.

I will try to solve it with an workaround posted here:: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-900-Excessive-Fan-spin/m-p/3451758#M4...

Sadly i didnt found time to try it.

pOpY

Highlighted
lenovogeorge
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,857
Message 8 of 14

Sadly Lenovo chooses to not address this problem and/or provide a solution. And I'm sure many of the other problems such as fan constantly running, slow computer, laptop getting hot, etc., are also side effects of these processes chewing up all the cpu power and never dying.

As such I resolved the problem myself by returning the laptop and got a full refund. Just very glad I bouthg mine from Costco so the return was very simple and easy. Sorry Lenovo, but if you are going to sell a 2 in 1, basics like switching from laptop to tablet mode should just work.  You wasted numerous hours of my time (and the time of hundreds of other customers) trying to resolve this issue and I'm completely frustrated with your company and its products.

Now I'm out shopping for another laptop, but this time Lenovo is not in the mix.

remibedi
Paper Tape
Views: 6,749
Message 9 of 14

I have this same issue on my Yoga 900, and have the same info show up in process explorer... but note that i only have one user on this laptop, so I don't think that the number of users, or switching users is necessarily the only trigger.

I'll notice the issue every now and then, after hearing the laptop fan being loud for a few minutes, even when there are no programs open or running.  Then I'll open task manager and see that there are 3 rundll processes hogging the cpu. To temporarily fix it, I just kill/end the 3 rundll process in task manager, and usually that fixes the issue until the next time I notice it, which is usualy a different random day.

I can't say yet if it happens at regular intervals after starting up my laptop or not.

lenovogeorge
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,554
Message 10 of 14

I gave up on Lenovo ever responding and addressing this issue. I HATE wating time working around bugs in a NEW and expensive product.

As such I returned my laptop and encourage others to do the same. Obviously it is the only way we'll ever get Lenovo's attention.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors