cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ninja636
What's DOS?
Views: 4,034
Message 1 of 11

YOGA 720 constantly dropping WIFI connection.

Hey guys,

Purchased a yoga 720 two months ago and in the beginning it would drop the WIFI connection maybe once a week. Over the last few days it's been dropping the WIFI connection every 5minutes or so. 

After it drops it'll take some minutes to reconnect again unless I go to device manager and disable/enable the network adaptor.

I've already tried updating the driver and no difference.

I've already set the power plan for the network adaptor to 'maximum performance' and no difference.

Surely there has to be a fix or something I can do?

Guru
Views: 4,001
Message 2 of 11

Re: YOGA 720 constantly dropping WIFI connection.

Open up your Event Viewer and see if there are any WLAN errors. If there are a lot of them, then Windows update has probably wrecked something.

If that looks normal, download WiFi Scanner from the Windows store and see if one of your neighbors is interfering. If so, and you have a recent dual-band WiFi router, split the bands into different SSIDs, force the router to sit on a 5Ghz channel where there's no interference and force your 720 to connect to your router's 5GHz side only. 

If that's still an issue or you don't have a dual-band router, then start looking for things that interfere with WiFi, such as LED lighting, microwave ovens and so forth.

There's another thread going on this if you want to look at that.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
lxchin
Paper Tape
Views: 3,967
Message 3 of 11

yeah man, I have been getting the same problem as well. Gees, I love the laptop, but the 2.4ghz wifi sucks big time on this machine...
lxchin
Paper Tape
Views: 3,952
Message 4 of 11

So if you guys are still experiencing the drop out problems, maybe try updating the driver from the Intel website.

I updated to the AC 8265, wifi driver, version 20.10.06 using the intel help forum. If you go to intel communities on thread 116008

use the below address as i am not allowed to post addresses here.

communities dot intel dot com then /thread/116008

It is really weird that there is a new intel  AC 8265, wifidriver, but the lenova site does not update it as part of the Yoga 720 updates. On the other hand, on my other machine, Lenovo X1,which uses the same wifi chip  AC 8265, the wifi adaptor has been updated to the latest 20.10.06. Anyway it has been one day, and so far good speeds and no drop out from the 2.4ghz wifi...
drsmona
Paper Tape
Views: 3,894
Message 5 of 11

Updating to the newest wifi driver did improve my internet speed significantly and solve the random wifi dropout that was there before.

Although, there seems to be still another internet related problem in my Yoga 720 even with the updated driver.
Now I figure that everytime I connect external HDD from the usb 3.0 port, internet immediately disconnect. Has anyone experienced this and know how to solve this?

dcondevigo
Paper Tape
Views: 2,198
Message 6 of 11

I have exactly the same problem, when I connect an external drive to the usb port (the big one on the right side) the wifi conection stops working. Did you find a solution?

Guru
Views: 2,173
Message 7 of 11

Is it a USB 3.0 HDD? The signaling rate for USB 3.0 is 5Ghz. So, interference might be your problem. Get either a better-shielded cable, a longer one ..or use a USB 2 cable, which will force the drive out of the higher signaling rate. 

dcondevigo
Paper Tape
Views: 2,168
Message 8 of 11

It seems that the problem is not related with interferences. Mi wifi works at 2.4ghz, and if I use larger cables the problem doesn't disapear.

If I turn off the HT mode in the wifi driver advanced options everything works fine. The downside is that the wifi speed is reduced. The problems that I had with some usb pen drives that stopped working also disappeared with this setting ...

It seems to me a driver or hardware problem.

Guru
Views: 2,161
Message 9 of 11

@dcondevigo wrote:

It seems that the problem is not related with interferences. Mi wifi works at 2.4ghz, and if I use larger cables the problem doesn't disapear.

I said longer, not larger. The idea is to get the hard drive a couple feet away from the laptop. You didn't say if the HDD is USB 3. Is it a spinner or SSD?  Try a USB2 cable to force it down. Interference is interference. 2.4 is close enough to 2.5, which is a harmonic of 5.0 that point-blank interference would be an issue.   

Only other thing I can think of is power drain, which really shouldn't affect the WiFi card, but I guess anything's possible. Use a split USB cable (or external power if your HDD enclosure supports it) to supply power to the HDD.

dcondevigo
Paper Tape
Views: 2,157
Message 10 of 11

I tried with longer cables, the problem is the same. Its not a problem with the external drive, its a problem with the USB port. I have the same problems with pen drives and even with a mouse wireless adapter.

Top Kudoed Authors