Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsburdette
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,222
Message 61 of 205

Re: YOGA 730 flickering, Screen blicking

laomai, now I think you're understanding what I'm going through with Lenovo. I wouldn't waste your energy with Hector too much. Looks like he's a new hire as his account register date is ‎08-02-2018 @ 10:14 AM and he's only posted 72 replies to messages. I don't think they even have an escalation department. I'm considering filing a police report for the theft of my laptop since no one will reach out to me about the status of my laptop that they've had in their possession since August 16. And when I have spoken with someone, they simply tell me someone else will reach out to me. They just continue to kick the ball down the street. Good luck, you and I are going to need it.

Wifes_IT_Guy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,203
Message 62 of 205

Does this video ring true to anyone else?  
Yoga 730  13ikb 
  - Depending on App and/or Website

- Touch above the Hinge

Seems to be combination Software & Hardware

Video Example

laomai
Punch Card
Views: 1,181
Message 63 of 205

@dsburdette looks like we are in the same boat Smiley Frustrated

I am willing to cut Hector some slack. Everyone is new once and he is doing what he can . At least he is responding to us via this forum. I appreciate that.

I think the problem lies with the tech support team. They are a black hole and seem uncoordinated with the front end customer support.

I am also thinking what other steps I can take to escalate the case. I tried to get the customer support supervisor to call me back but I think I missed his/her call Smiley Sad

All I wanted to do is to get in touch with the tech support team to help them contact me better!

laomai
Punch Card
Views: 1,174
Message 64 of 205

@Wifes_IT_Guy

Mine is something similar though I can't reproduce it as constantly. For me, the whole screen displays garbage and after a while it just goes blank. Have posted a video here https://1drv.ms/v/s!As2qv8RIGueEgZsmzpFuTPIVVUL5BQ

tk12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,099
Message 65 of 205

I have a similar problem with my screen. I've had my Yoga 730 for several months, and the problem just started today. The Yoga 730 is the best computer I've owned, and I'm very disappointed in this screen problem--especially the lack of support from Lenovo in helping others with the same problem. I certainly won't send mine to them for repair.

My screen problem seems to be entirely a physical problem with the lid, screen, and/or hinges. The flickering does occur "spontaneously" while I'm simply using the computer (maybe by expansion/contraction of the lid as temperatures change), but I can make it stop by touching the lid in certain ways. I also can produce the flickering manually. With the lid open, I often can cause it by lightly touching the top center or top right and left corners of the lid as if trying to close it. If I close the lid by pressing on the left and right sides, there's no flickering. It goes through periods when the flickering is bad and then periods when it doesn't occur and I can't manually produce it, so it's intermittent on my PC (at least for today).

laomai
Punch Card
Views: 1,030
Message 66 of 205

I got an update from Lenovo support. The part is not available and backordered for 2 weeks. 

I googled the part and it is the entire motherboard. Each part is specfic to each CPU/RAM combination as they are soldered onto the motherboard. 

Obviously, it is not acceptable to have to wait 2 weeks for parts. I will try to escalate this again tomorrow to see what they say about this as their service commitment. 

yoga730 part.JPG

gijello
Paper Tape
Views: 994
Message 67 of 205

How long has Lenovo had your 730?

I'm going on 4 weeks without a single update.

This is beyond absurd Lenovo. My daughter just started college and hasn't been able to use her computer for almost half the semester.

oliixy
Paper Tape
Views: 897
Message 68 of 205

I have the same exact problem. I barely have 6 months with this laptop and its already failing on me. Not even my cheap Toshiba laptop was this bad. I've tried to contact support but I get nothing. I have updated everything but it still happens. At this point I want to sell it but who is willing to buy this laptop???? I need it for college as well but because this laptop isnt functional I have been using my phone. At least I know now to never buy a Lenovo laptop. 

Forlornpope
Paper Tape
Views: 880
Message 69 of 205

A LOT of us have been having this problem, and so far many of us have had nothing but negative interactions with your service agents. I can't understand why a problem that seems to be so widespread hasn't initiated a recall from the company. This thread alone has over 8,667 views since MAY. 

My problem started in July (2 months after buying a new YOGA 520). I followed customer service's instructions, deleted and reinstalled driver, reset my system, and finally had the screen replaced. This process took nearly 4 weeks. Three days after receiving the computer back, it started again. 

After initiating the process again, I asked for a replacement unit. The agent refused, then after I escalated my case, it was determined that I would not receive ANY support because I had moved after I purchased the unit. The support agent apologized and directed me to contact Lenovo Middle East. Lenovo Middle East took two emails and "resolved" my case for me and aren't responding to my requests for additional help. 

So far I've updated drivers, updated my BIOS, uninstalled and reinstalled my monitor, troubleshooted through Microsoft and Lenovo's website and have done everything short of cracking the thing open (in the naive hope that something might someday be covered under warranty). 

Lenovo really needs to step up its game with this problem or a lot of people (myself included) are going to be former customers really quickly. 

tk12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 982
Message 70 of 205

Maybe someone at Lenovo will consider whether the problem is a design or manufacturing defect in the lid--maybe a bad electrical connection to the screen in the lid. Testing indicates that it is on my laptop. On mine, it isn't a software or hardware issue. It's caused by the lid flexing from touch (or even temperature changes or vibrations while typing).

I see the same problem shown in the link provided previously by laomai. And I can reproduce it and even stop it most of the time simply by touching the lid to make it flex slightly as when closing or opening the lid. I'm concerned that the more I open and close the lid, the worse the problem will get.

If this is true, replacing the motherboard won't help. Replacing the entire lid and screen might help. As Forlornpope said, he had the screen replaced, and it didn't solve the problem. But the problem could be the electrical connection to the screen, not the screen itself. And if it's a design or manufacturing defect, replacement lids likely will have the same defect.

I agree that Lenovo isn't handling the situation very well. They're a good company, and they sell quality products. They shouldn't be afraid to admit they have a serious problem in this case and go the "extra mile" to maintain their reputation and satisfied customers.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors