Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iamtired
Punch Card
Views: 1,220
Message 71 of 205

Re: YOGA 730 flickering, Screen blicking

My Lenovo Yoga screen started flickering about a month after I purchased it. I've tried updating the BIOS and the drivers, I did a restore, I've tried everything Lenovo has recommended trying. I'm afraid to send my computer back to the company because I need it for school. Does anyone have any updates on the situation?

laomai
Punch Card
Views: 1,187
Message 72 of 205

So sad to see so many Yoga 730 having this issue. It is a clear signal that there is something wrong with this machine. 

The worst part is that Lenovo does not have parts stocked for this while at the same time have plenty of machines in stock for new buyers.

I find the best way to get some updates is to go through the online chat. The folks there try to get you some info but they too have limited info. You can ask them to escalate the issue for you and ask to speak to their supervisor if they do not do so.

Given that they do not have parts for repairs, I would not advise sending it your laptop for repairs unless it is unusable. There is a chance that it will be held for an extended period of time waiting for the part to arrive.

@Hector or Lenovo, we have found an issue with your product and am taking the proactive effort here to surface this to you and provide you with where the potential defects are. We sincerely hope that you can take the feedback and fix the product so that current and future customers will not turn into disgruntled customers. 

tknice
Paper Tape
Views: 1,092
Message 73 of 205

You can add me to the list, which is unfortunate because I love this laptop.  I purchased it from Best Buy around 4 months ago and the first one was almost unusable and flickered immediately.  I returned it and they exchanged it for a new one.  After about 3 months now this one is doing it too.  Not unusable like the first but still very bad.  I've updated drivers but nothing makes a difference.

Please help Lenovo or this will be my first and LAST Lenovo and I will certainly be spreading the word!  If you take care of it, I will let everyone know that as well!

Forlornpope
Paper Tape
Views: 1,025
Message 74 of 205

I've received word from Lenovo on my warranty, and I've got bad news for any of you who purchased a product and moved - they're not going to do anything for you. 

Europe claims it's not their responsibility because I bought the product in a different region and has a slightly different serial number. 

The Middle East claims it's not their problem because the warranty isn't "international" - citing fine print on Lenovo's website 

The retailer claims I can only avail myself of the warranty if I'm in the country. 

So I'm screwed. They identified the problem as a link between my motherboard and screen, but gave no idea about how much it might cost to repair it myself. In the meantime, I've got a nice expensive paperweight so a company that made $45.35 billion in revenue last year can save a few bucks on customer service. 

Thanks Lenovo! For nothing! 

MrBaker01
What's DOS?
Views: 933
Message 75 of 205

I'm in the same boat. Bought the laptop from Best Buy about three months ago. Went in there Friday to see what my options are. They told me I have to go to Lenovo, which sounds like a pointless exercise judging from this forum. What a complete POS. Lenovo should be ashamed of themselves for putting such a crap product with known flaws on the market. Will try to call Lenovo today and report back.

Sonkway
Fanfold Paper
Views: 913
Message 76 of 205

Add me to the list of unfortunate customers with this issue.  Also sent it into Lenovo.  I use this machine for work but for a small business without an IT department to provide a loaner, so an extended wait time is not acceptable.

Purchased in June, didn't really see issues until about mid-August.  Usually use an external monitor, except when I travel for work; a little embarrassing in front of the client when your laptop screen keeps fading to black...

Looks like they received it on the 8th and are stating the part is not in stock.  No estimate provided on when it will be.

2018-10-15 09_01_33-RepairStatus - US.png

laomai
Punch Card
Views: 904
Message 77 of 205

I just spoke to a friend who had a Yoga 730 15" and he had the same issue. It is beyond belief that there are so many affected customers and Lenovo is not investigating this. Can anyone at Lenovo comment if this issue is being looked at? 

An update on my case: My part has arrived and is being shipped from the repair center to the technician. For those who had lodged a case, you might want to contact Support to see if a batch of parts have arrived. 

All the best.

lread
Paper Tape
Views: 810
Message 78 of 205

Adding my name to the long list of disgruntled customers. Bought my Lenovo Yoga 730 from Best Buy in June, starting noticing the screen flickering issue in August and sent it in for repairs (under warranty) in September. They had the machine for about a month.

Since receiving it back, I have already started noticing brief screen flickers that I assume will only continue to get worse (as they did previously). Very obviously a defect in the design and I can't afford to be without my laptop again for a month to get it "fixed". 

I hope Lenovo is listening. I intend to escalate.

GlobularCluster
Fanfold Paper
Views: 777
Message 79 of 205

Add me to the list.

I got mine at Best Buy in August.

In fact, I had to exchange several 730s. The others had issues like the finger print sensor being flaky, or the touch pad cutting out. None had the flickering screen.

By the time I had given up on Lenovo, I was already past the 15 day return window for refund and had to get yet another 730.

This one was built in May and has the screen flicker! I noticed too that unlike the other 730s, it doesn't have a Samsung SSD. It is rather some generic drive. Appears Lenovo cut costs?

Anyway, I can get the screen to flicker instantly by plugging anything into the USB port.

It also flickers when nothing is plugged into USB, but unit appears to be doing virus scan, or some other task putting a load on the system.

Someone had posted that Lenovo said the issue was a motherboard issue with power control. Going by what triggers my flicker, I think that makes sense.

Seeing all the folks here waiting for parts and basically being left out in the cold, I'm really upset at Lenovo!

I had called their support when dealing with the issues on the other 730s. It was terrible! They said the warranty only covered hardware only, they couldn't even offer alternative drivers, etc. for the hardware, as that is software! They said I could pay a $/per hour rate for further assistance!

After having a Dell for 8 years and working with their support a couple times, I was shocked how poor Lenovo is at customer service!

This thread just makes that point even more clear.

I'm hoping I see them step up and offer a proper resolution for us. I will then call and get an RMA.
iamtired
Punch Card
Views: 737
Message 80 of 205

I have to send mine back in; it's completely useless. The screen flickered and flickered until finally it went completely black. It hasn't turned back on since except for the occasional flicker of color. If "fixing" it doesn't work, is there any way to convince Lenovo to replace the laptop with an entirely different model? I'm willing to take something of equal or lesser value AS LONG AS IT WORKS. I can't afford another laptop, and I desperately need one; half of my classes are online. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors