Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
valoisr
Paper Tape
Views: 347
Message 1 of 7

YOGA 910 1Tb, 16Gb, UHD arriving early Sep 2017

New to community.  Just ordered Yoga 910 as indicated above.  Specifically model # 80VF00FRUS. 

I've read numerous reviews and see two adjustments that are required to address the fan and heat issues: 1. BIOS update and set "Quiet Mode"  2. Uninstall the QUALCOMM WLAN installer/driver.

Is there anything else that I should do as the "first things" before I begin installing software and transfering my data files from my previous computer (ASUS ROG G74s) ?

The Yoga 910 I ordered states that the anniversary date is April 2017.  Possibly, the fan noise and heat issues have been resolved by Lenovo ???

Thank you,

Ray

alceryes
Token Ring
Views: 314
Message 2 of 7

Re: YOGA 910 1Tb, 16Gb, UHD arriving early Sep 2017

Definitely install the latest BIOS, yes.
But, I'd recommend testing it out for a day or so to get a baseline BEFORE changing anything else.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 292
Message 3 of 7

Before you do anything else - and this is something working with Windows has taught me over the years - BACK THE COMPUTER UP. Get a system image on external storage and create a recovery drive. Do this before you allow the computer to see the internet. Pretty sure Windows will let you get that far before requiring an internet connection. Because, the second Windows can phone home, it'll start updating.  Getting that initial system image and recovery media can help you roll the computer back to Day One no matter what. 

Second: Test the recovery drive to make sure you can get to the point you can restore the image. You may need to use the Novo button to get into the BIOS and make sure Boot from USB is the second on the Boot Order list. 

At this point, you can download the latest BIOS on another computer and install it so the new BIOS is in place before Windows starts updating itself. 

After all of that, flip on the internet and let Windows update and, if necessary, remove the Qualcomm Installer. I say IF necessary because going straight to Creators' Update might skip over the trainwreck Anniversary Update caused for those of us on the initial Win10 OS. 

When all is said and done, make ANOTHER backup and system image.

Now, you're ready to load software, update any drivers that didn't do so and hopefully enjoy the same notebook computer the rest of us do. 

Come back here if you have any problems. Odds are, one of us has worked through them.

Good luck.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
valoisr
Paper Tape
Views: 287
Message 4 of 7

Thanks Doctor don, your advice is much appreciated.  UPS advise unit is on the truck for local delivery by end of day today (fri 01 sep).

Will be putting the unit through its paces and see how it all goes.  Will be MOST different from my current laptop: ASUS ROG G74S circa 2012 and weighig in at just over 10 lbs, battery good or 90  minutes or less most of the time.  But a what a workhorse !

Purchased the 910 from Costco so 90 days to keep it or return it.  I'll let you know how things work out.

Thanks again.

Ray

valoisr
Paper Tape
Views: 271
Message 5 of 7

UPS showed up as promised Fri PM.  Unit was ordered from Costco wed PM.  That's fast !

What an absolutely gorgeous unit, the dark grey color is most elegant.  Will be messing around with it for the next few days without any updates (apart from backup as Doctordon advised).

Looking forward to great performance, expectations are high.

Ray

valoisr
Paper Tape
Views: 219
Message 6 of 7

So far ...

Kybd excellent, better "feel" than my ASUS ROG, backlit nice and soft ... the short right-shift key somehow is not a problem.  

Screen magnificent.

I've got most of my software installed and all working A-1.

NB:  The fan kept coming on aswas mentioned in various posts and searches on the net.  I uninstalled the Qualcomm Installer/driver.  I haven't heard the fan come back on with one exception.  I have not done BIOS update yet to go to "Quiet Mode" as I'm told this lowers the performance speed.  Is it possible that this was already done at the factory?  Build date is April 2017.

valoisr
Paper Tape
Views: 195
Message 7 of 7

How can I check if "quiet mode" has already been activated?  The anniversary date on my unit is Apr 2017.

Thank you.

PS: that track pad is sooòoooo responsive. The very best I've ever used.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors