cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pedjulino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 180
Message 1 of 7

YOGA 920 Glass Edition - Impossible to reach Lenovo Repair???

Hi all.

I purchased Lenovo Yoga 920 Glass Edition from Lenovo Web Store on September 13, 2018. The notebook was delivered to me on September 21, 2018 in Chicago. I bought the highest configuration available for this IdeaPad i.e. 4K display, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD.

During the initial three weeks of usage, I have experienced "blue screen" error crash while working in Windows on several occasions. On October 16, 2018 after yet another blue screen error crash, the system completely failed and I could have never used the notebook again ever since. It seems that there was a complete SSD failure since no SSD was detected by BIOS and Lenovo Windows Recovery Key did not help either. Finally, I run a hardware scan that showed all components passed the test, except the SSD, which was not even scanned since it was not recognized as existing at all. The conclusion is very likely that my 1TB SSD died after only three weeks of usage.

Having said the above, I am unable to use my US$2k worth notebook ever since mid-October last year. The trouble is that I live in Montenegro (Europe) and this notebook is under Continental warranty, meaning that it can be repaired only int the US or Canada. I have asked Lenovo to make exception and allow their local authorized repair center in Montenegro do the repair, but that was refused under the excuse that some parts may be unavailable since the notebook was assembled in the US. I doubt that this would be a problem since obviously it is the SSD which malfunctioned and SSD is worldwide available and can be shipped anywhere as replacement part.

In any case, I am not in a position to use my computer for already 4 months and counting. I am unable to ship it for repair myself since it has to be shipped from within the US/Canada address and also shipped back to US/Canada address after repair is done. I tried to ship it from my country and even from Germany, but there are always some obstacles in the way - DHL told me they cannot ship it since it contains battery which is in a breach of air transport regulations, UPS asked me that I provide them wih Lenovo return label, which I cannot since Lenovo ship return label only to the US or Canada address etc...

Can anyone please help me with this situation or find any alternative solution or contact Lenovo to do the exception since I am very dissappointed by the whole situation and the fact that I bought very expensive computer directly from manufacturer and used it for 3 weeks with no way to repair it ever since? My calls to Lenovo support from outside the US are also very costly.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Pedjulino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 121
Message 2 of 7

Re: YOGA 920 Glass Edition - Impossible to reach Lenovo Repair???

Anyone?

Pedjulino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 73
Message 3 of 7

6 months and still no solution... for $2k...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 69
Message 4 of 7

There is the possibility it's just not making good contact. Reseating the SSD may work, though it's a longshot.

Best bet is to get a friend in the States or Canada to handle the warranty return FOR you. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Pedjulino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 65
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your reply. I tried, but they don't allow for warranty return since 30 days period from the date of purchase expired...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 39
Message 6 of 7

I don't mean a store exchange. I'm talking about using the repair center. Unless something's changed, the 920 comes with a year warranty. You can purchase an extended warranty and even damage protection.

Check your warranty here (you might need to creat an account). You can also contact support from that page. But you'll have to ship it to a friend in the States who'll be the point person for getting it repaired. 

If you would rather attempt to repair it, yourself, you'll likely need a new SSD and the backup set/image you hopefully created when you unboxed the computer. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Pedjulino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 36
Message 7 of 7

Thank you very much for your reply and for trying to help me. Warranty is fine, I still have it until mid-September as well as the option to extend it.

But as I already explained it above, I tried to ship it from my country and even from Germany, but there are always some obstacles in the way - DHL told me they cannot ship it since it contains battery which is in a breach of air transport regulations, UPS asked me that I provide them wih Lenovo return label, which I cannot since Lenovo provides return label only to the US or Canada address etc...

I don't know why do they not allow for Authorized Lenovo Repair Center in my country to inspect and do the repair which is not only the simpliest, but the only solution. Also, why ThinkPad has worldwide and IdeaPad only continental warranty? Why there is no option for me to pay and upgrade my warranty to worldwide so it can be repaired anywhere??

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors