Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidliu9518
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,469
Message 1 of 16

YOGA 920 Thunderbolt/EGPU Issue -HP Omen egpu

I have recently purchased a YOGA 920 and a HP Omen egpu enclosure. I am having problem connecting it to my laptop.

First, I tried both port, there's the sound of connect and disconnect, and nothing shows on the laptop, and the laptop is not charging.

I have tried with power cable connected, and now it was connected. The egpu still was not charging (no power delivery), and it only works one port 2 (port closer to touch pad) with charger connected to port 1. If I switch them, the laptop goes blue scree. I can remove the power after it is connected but then there is no power supply.

It is kind of similar to the issue as MrKnowNothing https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/YOGA-920-Thunderbolt-3-Port-No-devices-fou....

I have tried different drivers but all of them do not work. I have updated BIOS and Type-C firmware from Lenovo to the most recent version.

One more thing. Is it normal that thunderbolt controller is not showing up in device manager when nothing is connected?

I have tried it with my friend’s xps, it works perfectly, basically plug and play.

I think it is not supposed to work like this and the egpu should have power delivery to my laptop. Even if there is no power delivery, it should still connect without power adapter connected. Is this hardware problem or driver problem? Is there anyone else have similar problems?

Thanks!

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content. 

wildpig1234
Punch Card
Views: 2,426
Message 2 of 16

Re: YOGA 920 Thunderbolt/EGPU Issue

guess its not compatible with hp omen? ;(

I was hoping to be able to charge and also use the thunderbolt output at same time so I can connect at least one 4K monitor to each port and still charge
davidliu9518
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,423
Message 3 of 16

If your thunderbolt monitor have power delivery then it should charge your laptop through thunderbolt cable, if it is not thunderbolt then I think it may not be able to charge it. It should be standard for thunderbolt 3, and my egpu charges other laptops. Also, with power connected, my Yoga also works with it and this is why I suspect there is something wrong. On egpu.io site I have seen others with successful implementation of egpu with Yoga 920, and those egpu provides power for the laptop as well.

wildpig1234
Punch Card
Views: 2,418
Message 4 of 16

I just have monitors with DP1.2. cheap $350 4K generic LG and Crossover, nothing fancy. but was hoping to find a dock that would allow me to connect to so I can use both thunderbolt ports connecting to 4K monitors while still charging. if hp omen doesn't work, you got another suggestion?
davidliu9518
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,416
Message 5 of 16

Haven’t tried others yet... 

davidliu9518
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,362
Message 6 of 16

I just tried Aorus gaming box from Gigabyte and it works smoothly, plug and play and charges the laptop. HP omen seems not compatible with YOGA 920 and now I am returning it.

The one with GTX 1080 have two DP ports and you can use that to connect to your monitors, but if it’s only used as a dock then it’s kind of wasting money. 

The only issue is that I can only use port 2.  If I use port 1 it interferes with the trackpad. I don’t know why but I think I have seen others posting this issue.

wildpig1234
Punch Card
Views: 2,353
Message 7 of 16

hmm. very interesting concept of getting an eGPU dock.  The premium is basically about $150 or less over just a regular price card. so that's not bad....problem is that you still don't have fast enough bandwidth thunderbolt for full use of pcie x16 v3....  but we are getting there.  probably will get there in no more than a few yrs?

davidliu9518
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,338
Message 8 of 16

The performance drop is quite noticable. The one I got is 1070and clearly it’s worth than my desktop with 1070. When running PUBG I thinks it’s about 30% frame drop, but not very sure. But when using benchmark from Civilization VI, the frame rate is around half of my desktop, I don’t know why.. I am ruturning the 1070 one and I probably will go for the 1080 version, and I hope even with performance drop I can get similar performance as a desktop 1070
wildpig1234
Punch Card
Views: 2,329
Message 9 of 16

not sure if going for the 1080 will be much better since you still got the same bottleneck.  

The only one application i know so far that are not limited even going as low as usb 3.0 cable is the GPU accelerated coin mining.   There are many MB purposely built with like 7 or 8 usb 3.0 like interface to connect to multiple break out cables that would connect as pci e x1 with the GPU...

DDDyshow
What's DOS?
Views: 2,271
Message 10 of 16

Hi, I owned yoga 920 and aorus gaming box 1080, had a nightmare with this plug and disconnect sound.

i had this worked first day, then i updated the bios on lenovo website, the connect and disconnet sound starts, and laptop is not recognizing any thunderbolt devise.

Long story short,everything got resolved after i downgrade my BIOS.

for the version i downgraded, please check this thread 

https://egpu.io/forums/implementation-guides/yoga-920-auros-1080-gaming-box/

And one thing worth trying is, try unplug the power supply of your OMEN and replug in, i know it sounds silly, but this works for my aorus box 1080 sometimes.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors