Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RadekSmetana
Paper Tape
Views: 146
Message 1 of 3

YOGA 920 WIN10 HOME & Bitlocker

Hi there,

I have Lenovo Yoga 920 with preinstalled Windows 10 HOME. Recently I faced the problem with failed Windows auto update that resulted in system failure and boot in recovery mode. Than I realized that the disk was encrypted via Bitlocker although official support from Microsoft said the Bitlocker is active only on WIN10 Pro version. As I had only WIN10 HOME, I was not able to get the recovery Bitlocker code from my Microsoft account. The recovery software required the Bitlocker recovery key for each recovery option, thus I was not able to do anyting else than a new clean installation with all data on the disk lost (most of the data was backupped, but the installation of all SW and customization of settings took hours).

This seems to be a trap with no chance to win - every next incident that will require some type of system recovery will result in the same situation. Therefore I seek for the solution how to disable the Bitlocker encryption to be able to recover the system without need of Bitlocker recovery key (that I cannot obtain on WIN10 HOME) to my common settings and data.

Radek

swapneeldatta
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 101
Message 2 of 3

Re: YOGA 920 WIN10 HOME & Bitlocker

Hi RadekSmetana,

I do recall facing this issue once when I updated my 920. However, I did manage to find my bitlocker key after I logged in to my Microsoft account. This may be because I had synced my device with a Microsoft account?

RadekSmetana
Paper Tape
Views: 82
Message 3 of 3

Re: YOGA 920 WIN10 HOME & Bitlocker

HI swapneeldatta,

thanks for the post. Based on that I tried again the microsoft account. When I accessed the MS account directly from the Lenovo NB, I was able to get the bitlocker recovery key. But it is still not accessible from other PC. However I have the code now for future failures and hope it will work.

Regards,

RadekSmetana

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors