Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenardg
802.11n
Views: 163
Message 1 of 3

YOGA C630 WOS battery stops charging and does not fully charge

I had some strange battery behaviors with my YOGA C630 WOS. It feels more like a sotware/firmware issue, but I am not certain. 

The basic premise is that the notebook stops charging at around 79-80%. If I monitor the charging current, it charges at about 10-15W in the beginning, then begins to slow down and gradually drops to 2-3W and then stops when reaching 79-80%. In essence it behaves as if the battery would be fully charged at that point, even though it is not. 

I tried draining the battery and charging from empty, but it gives the same results. 

Also, while plugged in at 80%, if I remove and reconnect the charger, sometimes it will charge for a little bit again, before stopping again. Rarely I have also seen it start charging for a brief period. So sometimes it went up to 86%. 

I did get to fully charge it maybe once or twice. 

Battery wear is currently reported at 5%, althoug it did change during the lifetime of the product. Actually it jumped around a lot in the beginning (6%-14%-8%-19%) before settling on 5%. Now it has been at 5%. (I started using the device in April, so it is not very old). 

The battery lasts for a really long time, so this has rarely been a problem for me, but would still be nice to have a solution to it. It almost feels like as if it had a charge limit set, but there are no options or ways I know of where you can set a charge limit in a non-thinkpad Lenovo. Since there are no drivers to install or software to update (it all happens through Windows Update) there is really nothing I can think of to try anymore. I also checked the UEFI Firmware, but found no options that would pertain to the battery. 

Has anyone else seen this behavior? 

Thanks

-Lenard

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52, X1 Yoga (1st gen) | YOGA C630 WOS
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 79
Message 2 of 3

Re: YOGA C630 WOS battery stops charging and does not fully charge

Hi lenardg!

Thanks for posting in the Community,

Whenever the battery stops charging, does the battery indicator in the taskbar shows the message "Plugged in, not charging"? Here is the related article for that,

https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/solutions/ht103159

We can try the suggested steps in the article and check if it'll work. Update us how it goes.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 57
Message 3 of 3

Re: YOGA C630 WOS battery stops charging and does not fully charge

Thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately as it turns out, the C630 WOS is a little bit of a different beast, and these normal troubleshooting articles rarely apply to it.

As of currently, the Lenovo Vantage does not provide any settings or options on the C630 WOS. The Vantage App is just there so you can launch the Users Manual. All the regular options for hardware settings, hardware tests, updates or warranty information are missing. (As far as I know, Lenovo is planning to adding these in the WOS as well, but currently they are not available). 

Also, there is no way to update any drivers or the BIOS manually, these can be done through special update packages that arrive using Windows update. 

These changes are because of the Snapdragon CPU and platform inside.

I have now ordered a replacement battery and will try changing the battery and see if that helps. I will report back into this thread when that is done. Unfortunately there is a long lead time on the battery, so it's a long wait Smiley Happy

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52, X1 Yoga (1st gen) | YOGA C630 WOS

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors