Options

6 Posts

12-27-2019

US

9 Signins

161 Page Views

• Views: 161
  • Message 1 of 3

YOGA C940 NVIDIA Driver Workaround (GTX 1650 with Max-Q)

2020-01-05, 2:44 AM

I was having some issues concerning the video card on this systems that I saw to be shared amongst others. I found a work around (posted below) and I wanted to share: 

Concerning things I have observed:

• Nvidia drivers won't install and return messages about being incompitabile with the operating system or there not being any compatible hardware on the system 
  • Uninstall / reinstall does not help - nothing from NVIDIA reinstalls - Windows installs 431.31 with NVIDIA Control panel from the device manager but this driver is older an has issues and does not seem to make the video card avaialbe to be used by games and such
  • Drivers downloaded from lenovo do not install from NVIDIA installer
  • Geforce experience does not help resolve support
  • When I run any game or anything that should be using descrete graphics - the task manager monitors it's use as 0% and integrated goes to 100% (basically the GTX 1650 is not being used)
  • Cannot manually set the prefered processor to the GTX 1650 - Driver related issue

Manual Driver Install - WORKAROUND:

• Download and begin the installation for the latest drivers from NVIDIA - I know this won't complete; we are getting the files out from the installer.
  • During this installation process it will ask you where to extract the install files to - usually something like: 'C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\441.66\Win10_64\International'. Select your directory and allow the installer to extract the files. 
  • After extraction the installer will fail as expected - DON'T close the window just yet - copy the extracted files to a new location and take note of it. Once you close the installer it will delete the directory that it extracted to ('C:\Drivers\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\441.66\Win10_64\International')
  • The following steps might not be neccesary - try skipping to the driver install section; but if it fails becasue windows thinks it already has the best drivers come back here to remove the currently installed drivers.
    • disconnect from the internet - will keep the windows auto-driver install at bay for now
    • Open the Device Manager and uninstall the device (NVIDIA GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design - should be under the Display devices drop down) and make sure that the "Delete the driver software for this device option" is checked.
    • Scan for changes in the Device Manager under the action menu. It should now appears a 3D device under a Other Devices tree in the Device Manager. If you having a hard  time getting it to stay as this device (auto-updates keep changing it to the old NVIDIA drivers) simply right click and disable it. 
  • Now right click on the device and click Update Drivers.
  • Click "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Click "let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
  • Click "have disk"
  • Browse to the directory you copied with the driver install files and go to \NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\441.66\Win10_64\International\Display.Driver and select the nvaci.inf file to get the NVIDIA driver listings.
    2019-12-28 10_43_09-Edit Message - Lenovo Community.png
  • Click the very last NVIDIA GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design and click next
  • follow the rest of the Install process and boom - should be working 

Windows will likley try to install the old driver automatically - this can be avoided by making the device exempt from automatic updates. To do this follow this well written guide:
https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers/

Options

379 Posts

11-04-2019

PH

114 Signins

4667 Page Views

• Views: 4667
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: YOGA C940 NVIDIA Driver Workaround (GTX 1650 with Max-Q)

2020-01-05, 14:10 PM

Hi ,

Thank you for this share as this will greatly help out Community.

if the step I gave you doesnt work try this workaround.

Regards,

Jeremy

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

Options

1 Posts

04-18-2020

FI

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:YOGA C940 NVIDIA Driver Workaround (GTX 1650 with Max-Q)

2020-04-18, 20:03 PM

Hi, I followed these steps but I cannot see "Other devices" nor I can find any other tab related to 3d or Nvidia.

My system only shows Intel UHD under display driver.

Could u help?

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save