Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maggieann
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,026
Message 1 of 31

Yoga 11 - Sluggish Keyboard

I'm starting a new thread regarding the Yoga 11 keyboard, even though it has been mentioned in another post. That post has seen no activity for a while.

Does anyone else have a problem with a sluggish keyboard on the Yoga 11? (the physical keyboard)  I am very often (not always)  missing double letter keystrokes. For example, "tell" will be "tel", "wheel" will be "whel".  It is very irritating to always have to check what I've typed. I'm a touch typist of fast/average speed and in 50 years have not had this problem with another keyboard. I talked to Lenovo support this morning and they could not help, nor had this particular agent heard of the problem before. At first he tried to see if there was an updated driver, but Windows RT, which the Yoga 11 uses, does not use drivers. 

In addition to missing double letters, I've recently started seeing an occasional double letter.

Anyone else?  Any work arounds or solutions? 

Moderator Note; subject edited to better reflect theme.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,978
Message 2 of 31

Re: Yoga 11 - Sluggish Keyboard

Hello,

Perhaps adjusting the keyboard's repeat rate will help?  Here's how to do this on a Lenovo Yoga 11:

1. Open the Run dialog by pressing Winkey+R on the keyboard.  The Run dialog will appear.
  2. Enter "control keyboard" as the name of the program to run and press Enter.  The Keyboard Properties dialog will appear.
  3. On the Speed tab, try changing the repeat rate to "Short".
  4. Click the OK button to commit the change

Does this make any different for you?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,965
Message 3 of 31

@maggieann wrote:

I'm starting a new thread regarding the Yoga 11 keyboard, even though it has been mentioned in another post. That post has seen no activity for a while.

Does anyone else have a problem with a sluggish keyboard on the Yoga 11? (the physical keyboard)  I am very often (not always)  missing double letter keystrokes. For example, "tell" will be "tel", "wheel" will be "whel".  It is very irritating to always have to check what I've typed. I'm a touch typist of fast/average speed and in 50 years have not had this problem with another keyboard. I talked to Lenovo support this morning and they could not help, nor had this particular agent heard of the problem before. At first he tried to see if there was an updated driver, but Windows RT, which the Yoga 11 uses, does not use drivers. 

In addition to missing double letters, I've recently started seeing an occasional double letter.

Yes.  Drives me nuts.  It's almost embarrassing how much I've complained about this.  We're pushing an update via Windows Update that will fix this.  I am not sure of the schedule, though, because it's reliant on Microsoft's schedule.  I've asked for the fix to be coded as "Recommended" so it comes down automatically for users using Automatic Updates.  I need to follow up on that.

-Bloo

--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
maggieann
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,955
Message 4 of 31

Oh, Bloo, really!!???  That's the best news!  Because otherwise I really like the Yoga 11 as a web browsing / email /word processing computer, yet I was strongly considering returning it for something different.  It's a comfortable lap size, totally silent, completely cool, quick, lightweight, very portable, and it comes with free Microsoft Office 2013.  I'd love to hear an update. Might it be weeks? Months? I'll test it for you! Smiley Happy

Aryeh, yes, I've tried every possible variation of the repeat rate. (Along with anything else I could find on the Internet.)  It does not help.  And, by the way, this is my 2nd Yoga 11--I returned the first one because of this very issue, thinking it might be a hardware problem. 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,945
Message 5 of 31

I'd think weeks at worst.  I really don't know much about Microsoft's scheduling for Windows Update other than "patch Tuesday" for security updates.  I don't know if they have a different cycle for driver updates, or if they're included as part of patch Tuesday.  So, weeks at worst is about the best I can tell you.  Sorry I can't be more specific.

--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
maggieann
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,903
Message 6 of 31

Bloo, thanks again!  If I were to post to this forum again in, say, 3 or 4 weeks, would you be able to confirm then whether or not the fix has been pushed out?  If so, I'll put it on my calendar and do so.  (Yes, I know I should be able to figure it out, but it would be nice to have confirmation so I could relax about always having to check my typing.)  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,877
Message 7 of 31

Hello,

Microsoft delivers optional and non-security updates on the fourth Tuesday of each month.  As an example, see Microsoft Knowledgebase Article #894199, Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update Services changes in content for 20....

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
bmoura
Punch Card
Views: 4,725
Message 8 of 31

@bloo wrote:

@maggieann wrote:

Yes.  Drives me nuts.  It's almost embarrassing how much I've complained about this.  We're pushing an update via Windows Update that will fix this.  I am not sure of the schedule, though, because it's reliant on Microsoft's schedule.  I've asked for the fix to be coded as "Recommended" so it comes down automatically for users using Automatic Updates.  I need to follow up on that.

-Bloo

Glad to hear that. 
I was playing with a Yoga 11 in a store today and was very impressed by the size, light weight and the features.  But when I started typing and then increased my typing speed, the sluggishness issue hit big time.  Very disappointing -
I'll be interested to see if the upcoming Windows RT patch from Lenovo (possibly on 2/26) does the trick. 
spinningtape
What's DOS?
Views: 4,678
Message 9 of 31

Hi Bloo,

I was playing around with the Yoga 11 at the store today and definitely noticed this issue.  I'm interested in purchasing a Yoga 13, unfortunately I can't find any store that has it on display, so playing with the Yoga 11 was the closest I could get to getting a feel for it.  I'm wondering if the same keystroke skipping issue exists on the Yoga 13 models?

sup
Paper Tape
Views: 4,555
Message 10 of 31

bmoura schrieb:
I'll be interested to see if the upcoming Windows RT patch from Lenovo (possibly on 2/26) does the trick. 

I'm glad that the issue is going to be fixed (I hope!). I really like the Yoga 11, but I can't even type "11" without problems ... For someone typing fast that's a real problem.

bmoura, do you have any information on that patch? Maybe a link with details?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors