Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobblah
Paper Tape
Views: 972
Message 1 of 8

Yoga (11s i3) Crashes when external hard drive is plugged into usb port

My Yoga 11s laptop almost always crashes when I plug in my external Wesstern Didigital My Passport 500 GB hard drive. As soon as I plug it in, screen goes dark. It sometimes is difficult to power it back on, sometimes takes several minutes of pressing the power button.

Once I reboot it, with the external drive already plugged in it's fine. But is very annoying to deal with. 

I've also had issues with the Yoga not waking from sleep mode some times, where I have to hard power it down and reboot, maybe related?

Any one else see this problem?

brad71
Paper Tape
Views: 930
Message 2 of 8

Re: Yoga (11s i3) Crashes when external hard drive is plugged into usb port

I have the same problem with mine (11s i5).

I also have the startup problem at times when no external USB devices are connected.

xtotof86
Fanfold Paper
Views: 903
Message 3 of 8

Hello,

I too abrupt stops when I plug an external usb hub (3 usb3 + lan) on port usb 3 of my yoga 11s.
Connecting the hub stops immediatly computer, even if no device is connected to the hub.

If the computer is plugged into the power and if I plug the hub before you start the computer everything works.

My external drive connected directly to the USB port 3 works perfectly, even if I unplug hot.

Only usb hub causes me stop the computer.

What to do? Where does the problem?

bobblah
Paper Tape
Views: 864
Message 4 of 8

I am STILL having this issue. 

I'm using a WD My Passport bus powered hard drive. When I plug it into my Win 8 Yoga usb port it crashes the laptop almost every time. It will boot up with it plugged in and work but trying to boot up after it crashes is stressful as it sometimes take 5-10 minutes of trying the power button. Huge problem, I've gotten around this by keeping it pluggedin as much as possible, even while traveling but this isn't ideal. 

I have used this My passport HD on my old HP laptop running Win 7 there is no problem. I have tried plugging in an older non bus powered hard drive into the Yoga and itrecognizes it fine without crashing. It seems to me to be a problem with bus powered devices or drives? 

No idea how to fix this. 

Help please.

Jerome_123
What's DOS?
Views: 717
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

I have the same problem with my Yoga 11s i3. Have you found a solution?

Thanks

bobblah
Paper Tape
Views: 704
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

I still have this problem.

But I also posted this question on the MSFT forums and a tech their gave a list of things to try. See the link. I should try again but the first time I attempted some of the instructions didn't seem to match how my PC was set up and so some steps were confusing and I gave up.

I should probably try again. Let me know if you have success.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/lenovo-yoga-crashes-shuts-down-wh...
Leno6
What's DOS?
Views: 140
Message 7 of 8

I have the exact same problem with a similar model. Screen turned dark after plugged in an external hub/drive. I was able to restart laptop one time, but after plugging in the hub/drive a second time, the computer never woke up after multiple attempts to restart using alt ctrl delete with power plugged in or not. Any one knows how to restart the computer or did it go dead after the plugin? Ext hub/harddrive works with another laptop so I don't think there is a virus on it. Thanks.
NikolaPikola
Paper Tape
Views: 76
Message 8 of 8

I found a solution!  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Solution-for-Yoga-11S-no-lights-no-power-n...

I had the same problem.  I connected an external USB harddrive and the computer would not power on.  I then powered the computer on without the drive connected, waited until Windows was loaded, plugged in the USB drive and BAM, it died immediately... Computer would not power on despite far too many attempts.  The white light power indicator is all I could get, just a black screen, no bootup, no fans spinning.  Tried every possible combination of power and NOVO button presses.  I removed the RAM, the battery, even drained the supercapacitor but still no luck.

Here's what I had to do to get it working again:

Remove battery and unsolder a leg from the purple button-sized supercapacitor.  Then reassembled minus screws and battery.  Plug in powersupply and now you can power it on.  Whew, I thought the motherboard was toast but this worked when every other procedure failed.  After you get it booted just shut it back down, resolder the supercapacitor, reinstall battery, and reassemble.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors