Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duderino
Serial Port
Views: 186
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 13 2191 Some hardware stops working after a while

Please read the symptoms carefully, it's crazy.

I have a 1st gen Yoga.

From time to time, some hardware of my laptop become inactive (= keyboard, trackpad, volume, power port and power button to put computer on Sleep), BUT the USB ports remain functional (= wireless mouse and wireless keyboard keep working), as well as the touch screen speakers and jack output and I can still long press the power button to crash the computer.

If I try to restart the PC or to shut it down from the Start menu, it remains stuck on "Restarting" or "Shutting down" and I have to force crash it.

After this, to start the computer, I have to press the power button for about 20 seconds, release it and press it again quickly, it doesn't work every time, but it does work if I try a couple of times.

Then, the computer works perfectly till next time the problem occurs.

I can't figure out if it's a hardware or software problem, or both, because, after the computer is restarted, everything works, so there doesn't seem to be a definitive hardware problem, but it might still be something that occurs because of some electronic problem.

Any hint?

Thanks

MOD: Title edited to add model

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 150
Message 2 of 6

Re: Some hardware stops working after a while

Model of Yoga?  And which OS are you using?  Include the build if it's Windows 10 (e.g. 1803).

On the surface it sounds like it could be outdated drivers or a wrecked Windows installation. Are there any error messages in Event Viewer that might give you some clues?

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
duderino
Serial Port
Views: 131
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the answer.

Model is 2191

It's running Windows 8 64-bit that I've never been able to upgrade to 8.1, because the update does not appear in the Store and the manually downloaded updates are "not applicable to this computer", in spite of the fact it's a perfectly legit OS that came with the computer, just ridiculous.

No error message whatsoever.

Thanks for any further hint.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 118
Message 4 of 6

Strange that there are no errors listed in Event Viewer.  If I were to hazard a guess, I'd bet your machine is so far behind in security updates and driver updates that it just crashes. 

You didn't use any Norton products, didja?  How about McAfee? 

duderino
Serial Port
Views: 81
Message 5 of 6

I've been able to fix things up by performing a full install of 8.1 from a USB key.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 78
Message 6 of 6

Closing this thread to avoid confusion with the other one. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors