Options

4 Posts

12-08-2012

Boston Ma

15 Signins

93 Page Views

• Views: 93
  • Message 1 of 4

[Yoga 13] Any cons to uninstalling fast boot and merging in the partition?

2012-12-08, 16:06 PM

So, it seems that disabling Fast Boot has little or no effect on actual boot times, everything still boots extremely quickly in less than 10 seconds with this feature disabled. So, why use it? Any reason other than maybe saving 1-2 seconds per boot that I am not aware of? It uses an 8 GB partition on the SSD which can be easily merged with the prior C: partition to provide us with 8gb more disk space, so is there any compelling reason to not disable fast boot and merge in the extra disk space?  Is giving up 8gb of disk space worth saving maybe a second when you reboot? I'd say no, but maybe there's something else to this that I'm missing?  Any insight or opinions are welcome!

Options

10 Posts

12-05-2012

United States

8 Signins

173 Page Views

• Views: 173
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Any cons to uninstalling fast boot and merging in the partition?

2012-12-08, 16:19 PM

It's technically not Fast Boot, it's the Rapid Start technology and it does afford some advantages other than just start times. It's really more in play during sleep/resume rather than boot. 

During the transition to the Sleep state, the IRST service flushes the standby and modified memory pages to reduce the amount of memory reported as “in-use.” This can considerably reduce the amount of data that needs to be transferred to the SSD, resulting in improved resume time.

Another function provided by the service is optimizing the amount of active pages that need to be written to the SSD. The service will flush the non-critical active pages during the Sleep transition. Again, this improves resume performance but also reduces the required SSD partition size. It also actually reduces read/write subsequently reducing wear cycles on the SSD

Options

4 Posts

12-08-2012

Boston Ma

15 Signins

93 Page Views

• Views: 93
  • Message 3 of 4

2012-12-08, 16:26 PM

Very interesting, thank you for this information.  So, it sounds like in your opinion it is worth giving up the disk space to use this feature?

Options

10 Posts

12-05-2012

United States

8 Signins

173 Page Views

• Views: 173
  • Message 4 of 4

2012-12-08, 16:50 PM

I did keep it on a clean install of Win8 Pro, but in the spirit of full disclosure I pretty much opened up my Yoga the day I bought it and installed twin 240gb MSATA drives and 8gb of memory, so the hit wasn't as big for me. I can understand fully wanting to recover 8gb from a 128gb SSD. I was pretty much answering your question explaining that IRST was a bit more than just a fast boot utility. Could you live without it? Probably. Are there advantages to having it? That's a yes too. At least you can make an informed decision which I always prefer. Rest is entirely your call.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete