Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmacpherson
Paper Tape
Views: 3,269
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 13 Blinking Sleep LED

I just received my new Yoga 13 yesterday and am very happy with it so far, however I have found one thing that annoys me which I'd like to see if I can re-configure. The power LED is lit solidly when the laptop is on, turns off when the laptop is shutdown, and blinks when it's in sleep mode. I don't really care if the laptop is off or in sleep when I have the lid closed, and the blinking LED is annoying because I usually have my laptop on my nightstand next to my bed.

Does anybody know if there is a way to configure the behavior of this LED? If not the only solution I can come up with is my usual LED fix - electrical tape. I'd rather not have to put electrical tape on a brand new laptop though.

Thanks!

gmacpherson
Paper Tape
Views: 3,201
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 13 Blinking Sleep LED

I was never able to find a proper solution for this so I did end up going the electrical tape route. If anybody else is looking to do this I can say that it does work fairly well. I just cut a tiny sliver of tape that was small enough to cover the power symbol without covering the full button itself. I can still see the light from the LED a little bit through the button, but it's very dim.

trishx1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,195
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for bringing this up. I  just ordered a YOGA 13 (taking forever to get to me) and am interested to know if this can be resolved. Please keep everyone here posted if you find a solution other than the handy tape method.

GregV
Token Ring
Views: 3,184
Message 4 of 6

If you don't care whether the laptop is off or in sleep mode you can use the Windows settings to make it hibernate when you close the lid.  After Windows finishes saving the memory the laptop turns completely off so it won't blink anymore, and hibernation won't make you close everything like a regular shutdown either.  It will just take a few seconds longer to start up again.

Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options > Choose what closing the lid does

beerbaron105
Punch Card
Views: 3,180
Message 5 of 6

It would be nice if the blinking LED had a soft glow like the Macbook pro

gmacpherson
Paper Tape
Views: 3,123
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the hibernate idea! This does get the LED to turn off when you close the lid, it's not quite a perfect solution though. The laptop doesn't take long to boot up from hibernate, but it is a bit longer than normal sleep mode. I've been spoiled with the quick sleep mode startup for too long to switch over to hibernate now.

The other small annoyance is that the laptop doesn't turn itself back on automatically when you open the lid, you have to press the power button for it to start up. Both of these are definitely small issues, but I'm happy enough with the tape to keep it that way for now. This will definitely work for someone who doesn't want to put tape on a brand new laptop.

Thanks again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors