Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

11-05-2012

United States

17 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 111 of 1012

Re: Yoga 13 Fan Noise

2012-11-28, 3:36 AM

Hate to do it but I am planning on taking mine back here pretty soon, great machine other than that stupid fan!! Sadly BestBuy has no more in stock, atleast where I live, so I guess I will look into other options/wait for the stock!!

Options

56 Posts

10-20-2012

Ireland

439 Signins

1586 Page Views

• Views: 1586
  • Message 112 of 1012

2012-11-28, 11:04 AM

I have to agree - it's very disappointing that Lenovo seem to be ignoring this thread. It loooks like there are two seperate problems:

1. The fan running all the time even at very low CPU loads - this is possibly fixable with a BIOS update

2. Noisy fans in some units probably due to the fan hitting the metal housing as described by tristech

Maybe Lenovo are waiting for a sufficent number of Yogas with problem 2 to be returned before they decide what to do. If so it would be nice if they could let us know!

Do Best Buy allow you to keep a faulty but functioning item until such time as they have a replacement item in stock even if this exceeds the return period (probably could have put that better but I'm tired!)

On a side note I'm still not sure if my Yoga will be covered by an international warranty - bought in Best Buy but relocated to Ireland. Lenovo support said it probably would be once the it's launched over here but no word on a date for that yet.

Options

36 Posts

11-28-2012

United States of America

38 Signins

498 Page Views

• Views: 498
  • Message 113 of 1012

2012-11-28, 21:41 PM

I bought a Lenovo Yoga from Bestbuy for $999.99 + tax on 11/26/2012. The manufacture date was 27/10/2012 (Oct 27, 2012). I used it for a day and showed my cool toy around to my co-workers. As one of my co-workers picked it up from my desk to see how heavy it was, it made a kinda loud buzzing/rattling noise. He asked what's that noise. I tilted the Yoga from side to side and noticed that when you tilt it  by moving the left side up and right side down, it made this rattling noise from the fan (near the left side). Also, if you just held it at certain angles, it would make that loud rattling/buzzing sound from the fan. At certain angles (flat), the noise was lesser. I am okay with fan running all the time because that's fairly quiet but this was pretty loud fan noise when held at certain angles.So I took it back to Bestbuy on 11/27/2012 and exchanged it for another Lenovo Yoga (same manufacturing date). It is running fine so far (fan running most of the time but not that weird rattling/buzzing at angles). So after a day of use, this one hasn't started to do that rattling/buzzing noise at any angles. But I have kept it pretty stationary on the desk. No more Yoga moves for my Yoga.

Again, I am okay with smoothly running fan like the exchanged unit is (so far) but the original definitely had the fan blades touching the fan housing to make that kind of grinding/rattling/buzzing noise.

Options

12 Posts

11-03-2012

Laurel Hollow, NY

482 Signins

1903 Page Views

• Views: 1903
  • Message 114 of 1012

2012-11-29, 2:29 AM

Just exchanged my yoga at best buy because the fan seemed a little louder after 32 days of ownership. The replacement unit seems no better than the first. Fans are constantly running and the fans have a noticeable purr. And this one seems warmer on the bottom!

Options

36 Posts

11-28-2012

United States of America

38 Signins

498 Page Views

• Message 115 of 1012

2012-11-29, 3:39 AM

wrote:

I bought a Lenovo Yoga from Bestbuy for $999.99 + tax on 11/26/2012. The manufacture date was 27/10/2012 (Oct 27, 2012). I used it for a day and showed my cool toy around to my co-workers. As one of my co-workers picked it up from my desk to see how heavy it was, it made a kinda loud buzzing/rattling noise. He asked what's that noise. I tilted the Yoga from side to side and noticed that when you tilt it  by moving the left side up and right side down, it made this rattling noise from the fan (near the left side). Also, if you just held it at certain angles, it would make that loud rattling/buzzing sound from the fan. At certain angles (flat), the noise was lesser. I am okay with fan running all the time because that's fairly quiet but this was pretty loud fan noise when held at certain angles.So I took it back to Bestbuy on 11/27/2012 and exchanged it for another Lenovo Yoga (same manufacturing date). It is running fine so far (fan running most of the time but not that weird rattling/buzzing at angles). So after a day of use, this one hasn't started to do that rattling/buzzing noise at any angles. But I have kept it pretty stationary on the desk. No more Yoga moves for my Yoga.

Again, I am okay with smoothly running fan like the exchanged unit is (so far) but the original definitely had the fan blades touching the fan housing to make that kind of grinding/rattling/buzzing noise.

Just for anyone reading this who doesn't currently own a Lenovo Yoga, I want to clarify the sound levels - Normal Yoga fans are quiet enough that you have to bring the vents to within about half a foot of your ear to hear the faint and smooth fan sound (mainly just the sound of air). The unit that I exchanged was loud enough that I could hear it upto  5 feet away in a normal room. (It is also important to note that it was quiet the first day but the second day it started making this noise after I tried Yoga in different positions that day.)

So relatively speaking, both were very quiet in terms of decibel levels but we are now used to super quiet iPads and Macbook Air. So that buzzing noise in the Yoga that I exchanged in bestbuy was a little annoying. The exchanged unit has been quiet so far (except for that faint sound of air near the fan vents but who holds their laptop by their ear!). 

Options

20 Posts

11-20-2012

United States

32 Signins

177 Page Views

• Views: 177
  • Message 116 of 1012

2012-11-29, 23:28 PM

Just to add to the number of users; my Yoga fan runs always for the most part, started about 10 seconds after I turned it on. I don't think it is to loud, noticeable, but not an issue. It speeds up as the heat rises. As I would expect. My primary concern is battery life with it almost always running.

Options

36 Posts

11-28-2012

United States of America

38 Signins

498 Page Views

• Message 117 of 1012

2012-12-03, 3:40 AM

wrote:

wrote:

Just for anyone reading this who doesn't currently own a Lenovo Yoga, I want to clarify the sound levels - Normal Yoga fans are quiet enough that you have to bring the vents to within about half a foot of your ear to hear the faint and smooth fan sound (mainly just the sound of air). The unit that I exchanged was loud enough that I could hear it upto  5 feet away in a normal room. (It is also important to note that it was quiet the first day but the second day it started making this noise after I tried Yoga in different positions that day.)

So relatively speaking, both were very quiet in terms of decibel levels but we are now used to super quiet iPads and Macbook Air. So that buzzing noise in the Yoga that I exchanged in bestbuy was a little annoying. The exchanged unit has been quiet so far (except for that faint sound of air near the fan vents but who holds their laptop by their ear!). 

Just wanted to give another update that the exchanged Yoga has been running flawless with no fan sound issues and I have put it through some rigors.

Options

19 Posts

11-05-2012

NYC

108 Signins

536 Page Views

• Views: 536
  • Message 118 of 1012

2012-12-05, 12:32 PM

I disagree with lenovoyogauser's sound level desription. In my bedroom, no TV or radio, with the door closed, the sound can be heard from anywhere in the 12x10 room. I cannot accept that the fan is on ALL the time. I often do research in quiet locations (labs, library) and I can still hear it. Perhaps I am sensitive to the pitch, but it is observable.  Not full on/full speed, but loud enough to disturb.  It does spin up during certain games, but I expect that since it's CPU intense.

Side note: I did return mine to Bestbuy on 29th day (out of 30) hoping a system fix would be released before I ran out of time.

Well if you read this post, you will notice no help from Lenovo. I did get the Samsung Series 9, same CPU, 2x the RAM OPEN BOX for less than the Yoga 13. Sammy IS SILENT 90% of the time. That is how it should be.  It is almost scary silent after having the Yoga's constant sound. Zero regrets on the exchange.

I will recommend a great USB light for the Yoga. As I was searching for a replacement of my 3.5 year old the single LED Kensington light I had, I came across another 10 LED USB light.  Brand: "Elago" a flex goose neck type, it has a touch sense on/off on the end (tip).  It will address the lack of keyboard light issue for those interested.  Although before my return, I found other models of Lenovo with the SAME keyboard type as the Yoga that are backlit.  I would have attempted a swap being the keyboard is so easily removed.  I cancelled the part order.

Options

84 Posts

10-30-2012

China

148 Signins

803 Page Views

• Views: 803
  • Message 119 of 1012

2012-12-05, 13:49 PM

It meet Intel's Ultrabook specification even the fan noisy is "a little bit"... Personally I don't feel uncomfortable with it, but if you do, please keep harassing Lenovo service for a BIOS/EC update......

------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to get BIOS version: Windows key + R --> cmd --> wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion
Options

6 Posts

11-13-2012

Austria

30 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 120 of 1012

2012-12-05, 17:02 PM

the sound is noticeable everywhere in a silent room, everyone who is saying not, has not the same problem as us. but it is not so loud that it can annoy me. Don't buy this laptop, if you want a laptop that is silent... it is not! and even if Lenvo says that they a working on it, I don't believe it, a good service and a serious support would mean, that there are updates about the status of the problem solving process several times in week or at least one time!

also there are other problems popping up now and then, now my onscreen keyboard disappears immediately after opening it. so I can not use it in any other mode then the laptop mode.... it complitly useless now....

also the multitouch of the touchpad does not work anymore, there is a update of the touchpad, but I can not install it, I getting always error messages...

this two issues are maybe caused by Windows8 and not by lenovo, but since last week everyday there is a new issue... I'm getting tired of it...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms