Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

31 Posts

10-28-2012

New York

1050 Signins

3352 Page Views

• Views: 3352
  • Message 151 of 1012

Re: Yoga 13 Fan Noise

2012-12-24, 19:29 PM

I've been playing with the hardware monitor floris1988 has pictured since I'm at someone else's house and sometimes there's a delay before the fans turn on.  From what I can figure out the fans turn on as soon as one of the cores hits 41C.  It doesn't matter if it's just for a moment, once it touches that threshold they turn on and stay on.  I'm sure there's a bottom threshold that would cause them to turn off again, but I can't find it since it almost never happens.  Around 37-42 seems to be the normal range for not doing anything strenuous, like typing this reply, whereas loading a complicated site in Firefox and scrolling around can have it touch 51.  Playing 5 minutes of Riptide GP (a 3D racing game) has it touch 55.

So from a load perspective, it would be nice to have the trigger for turning on the fans be 55 (meaning the average would be in the low 50s) and the trigger for turning the fans off be 42 (meaning the average could be a few degrees higher.)  Between those is the dead zone where it keeps doing whatever it was doing, so they won't turn on until you do something that makes it touch 55, but then they'll stay on until it cools down enough to touch 42.  This is just from a load perspective, I don't know if there are any hardware tolerance issues at these temperatures.

I'm not going to reinstall my system, but I will say that when I first got it the fans turned on a few moments after powering it up for the first time, meaning it couldn't be some rogue program I installed running in the background because it was still in the OOBE setup process.

Options

137 Posts

12-08-2012

hawaii

852 Signins

3449 Page Views

• Views: 3449
  • Message 152 of 1012

2012-12-24, 21:02 PM
Here are some possible reasons why I have such low perceptible fan noise (while they are on). Sorry this will appear run-on, but paragraph breaks have stopped working for some of us: (1) I already mentioned it is quiet in tablet mode, but I avoid resting the vent edge against my body. Choking the vent might be quieter at first but then my i7 would overheat. Aiming vents up lets convection do part of the cooling anyway. Even holding it in portrait mode, I rotate in a way so my hand isn't blocking the hottest part of the airflow which is on one end. (2) When I find the fans very quiet in laptop mode, I really mean laptop rather than tabletop. The vents are shielded by the screen and point to the great open spaces away from you. These two configs are what this machine was built for... have the vents optimized to tolerate tablet mode, and once in a great while you open it in your lap to briefly type. The point of this is to be liberated from tabletop or desk with it's upright chair torture devices. (3) Even I have to plug in a usb on a table once in a great while, but I don't do it facing a vertical wall. On a table, the sound is thrown rearwards, then amplified by the megaphone formed by the screen backtilt vs table. That is loud enough, but if you face a vertical reflective wall it is louder bounceback. Too much trouble? Then buy something not optimized for tablet mode rather than telling Lenovo to change the emphasis. (4) Hardware differences may include the i7 actually runs cooler in light tasks, the now apparently paused silver assembly line that seemed to lead to many bby returns maybe had some reason that the fan shroud wasn't stabilized or got bent on installation. And maybe my filled 2nd slot of memory leads to more solidity or less sound resonance. Sorry for the run-on; I have reported the paragraph dysfunction to moderators. I focus on this issue because fan noise would have really bothered me and I hate to return anything... I can't understand this culture of casual returns which runs up the costs for all of us.
Options

8 Posts

12-22-2012

Dordrecht

35 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 153 of 1012

2012-12-25, 15:19 PM

I don't think this is an issue with the users. When I start my notebook in the morning (it's around 3 C outside here atm) the fans starts running after 10 seconds. I don't even have time to start up the Hardware monitor.

That means the fan starts running in laptop mode at 35C temperature. That shouldn't happen. The Intel spec says that the temp of the Core i7 shouldn't run above 80C. I think it should start running at 55C. And that shoudn't bother anyone since they bought a notebook, and not a tablet. But now the fan is always on (and I do mean always, even if I let it idle for hours...the fan stays on). And it's noticable too, my desktop PC is in the same room and when sitting behind my notebook I can still here the fans of yoga.

I am going to send my device back because of the keyboard issue. The fans are a software issue, I can live with that. But the keyboard clicky thing (around the F9 and F10) keys are a hardware issue. That should be fixed by Lenovo. I don't think it's unreasonable to demand a good device at 1600 euro. You should be able to expect quality from Lenovo.

Options

9 Posts

12-26-2012

Germany

133 Signins

737 Page Views

• Views: 737
  • Message 154 of 1012

2012-12-26, 12:06 PM

Same here, got my Yoga a couple of days now and few seconds after booting, the fan starts to run and never stops.

This is extremly annoying and I hope for a update soon.

I've started checking the EC values myself, but couldn't figure out anything but the battery values so far. 

So please Lenovo, look into this.

Options

19 Posts

02-01-2009

Norway

45 Signins

429 Page Views

• Views: 429
  • Message 155 of 1012

2012-12-26, 14:20 PM

Same constant fan noice from my Yoga

Model name: 2191

Mfg Date: 27.11.2012

P/N:

personal informations removed.

Options

1 Posts

12-27-2012

NC, USA

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 156 of 1012

2012-12-27, 17:09 PM

Most everyone here is experiencing the same annoyance with the constant fan noise.  

An update from a Lenovo employee would be really nice!

Options

9 Posts

12-26-2012

Germany

133 Signins

737 Page Views

• Views: 737
  • Message 157 of 1012

2012-12-27, 18:25 PM

Forgot to tell you this informations in my previous post:

Model Name: 2191
Date: 12/12/04
P/N: 

I spent most of the day today messing around with the Yoga's embedded controller and looking into DSDT tables, without any success on the fan issue though.

A simple BIOS/EC update altering the fan thresholds should be the easiest way anyways. So come on Lenovo, give us an update please!

personal informations removed.

Options

41 Posts

12-17-2012

Minnesota

160 Signins

665 Page Views

• Views: 665
  • Message 158 of 1012

2012-12-27, 19:41 PM

This is my first ultrabook so it took me a while to realize mine has a constantly running fan too.  I'm so used to my older laptops being so loud that this still seemed quiet, but this seems like something that shouldn't be happening and is going to wear the parts out quicker than they should.

I'm already on my second Yoga due to the coil whine noise (second one has it too) so I'm probably going to just return it by mid-January due to all this and no response from Lenovo.  I don't get why they can't respond and fix these issues but I guess the pressure isn't strong enough so they don't care.

Options

2 Posts

03-16-2011

London

4 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 159 of 1012

2012-12-27, 20:52 PM

Got mine replaced, and then returned it, both have the constant fan, and both have a poorly fitted keyboard which is at its worst around the top right side.

This is a real shame as I think the Yoga is the most attractive of the Ultrabook offerings and would have been more then happy to keep it if it didnt annoy the hell out of me.

Manufacturing error and a bios update? COME ON fix them.

Options

137 Posts

12-08-2012

hawaii

852 Signins

3449 Page Views

• Views: 3449
  • Message 160 of 1012

2012-12-28, 21:00 PM

Ok, i finally got a bit of fan noise when operating in laptop mode, although it doesnt bother me much. I can tell something is newly wrong due to when turning off, the right fan makes a clicking sound as it spools down like there is light contact of a blade with plastic. 

d

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms