Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

38 Posts

01-11-2013

Seattle

293 Signins

812 Page Views

• Views: 812
  • Message 271 of 1012

Re: Yoga 13 Fan Noise

2013-01-29, 18:27 PM

stijnos: I have B and C.  Neither is terrible; both are slightly annoying.  In fact, I'm afraid a fix for the fans will make the coil whine more apparent.

Options

9 Posts

01-30-2013

Germany

40 Signins

254 Page Views

• Views: 254
  • Message 272 of 1012

2013-01-30, 15:27 PM

fan is ALWAYS on at my device, too. as soon as i press the power button the fan starts and never stops or reduces rounds.

the fan noise in stand mode (keyboard on table) is quite acceptable, because the noise comes mainly out of the keyboard and not out of the cooling grid on the backside of the yoga.

but in laptop mode the noise is really really annoying and also a shame if you use it in public (library, etc.)

FURTHERMORE, the keyboard around the keys F9 - F12 and 8, 9, 0, -, = (in german keyboard style: 8,9,0,ß,`) is HORRIBLE.

That is so annoying! I just cant believe that, i paid so much money for this basically WONDERFUL device, but everytime I use it, I get f**** up with this 2 issues

I have 3 more days left to send it back, and i will do. what a pity

mfg date: 12/12/04

factory id: S

Options

3 Posts

01-23-2013

Chicago

14 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 273 of 1012

2013-01-30, 20:10 PM

Just returned mine due to the fan noise and coil whine.

I will repurchase if these issues get sorted out.  

Please, Lenovo - these issues are costing you money!

Options

319 Posts

11-28-2007

United States of America

1764 Signins

19691 Page Views

• Views: 19691
  • Message 274 of 1012

2013-01-31, 15:01 PM

I'm going to jump in here to provide an update on what we're doing and where we are with it.  Also, because there has been a tremendous amount of discussion around this complaint, I want to give a little bit of background on why the Yoga fan works the way it does.  I'll start with what we're doing, so those of you who don't really care about the why can read that and move on.

tl;dr version:

I've approved an update that contains a new thermal map that spins the fans up later and to a lower RPM.  We plan to release an update to apply this new thermal map, along with a package that will restore the old thermal map in case anyone wants to backlevel.

----

Alright, that out of the way, some details:

The thermal table change has two effects: First, the fan noise is reduced by 1.5dBA.  While perception of sound levels are subjective and will vary from person to person, every user I've asked to evaluate the change has said the new design is noticeably quieter.  That said, understand YMMV.

The second effect is just what you would expect: the system is hotter.  Temperature, in terms of hot, cold, acceptable, unacceptable, is also subjective.  So if you update and find you don't think the system is really *that* much quieter but it sure is warmer, you can revert to the original state.

I've seen a few questions around why the CPU temperature threshold is so low, making the fans spin up so quickly after power on and/or run even while the system is idle.  The main reason for this is that Yoga's form factor introduces some unique use cases.

The CPU sits more or less directly under the keyboard, in the upper left corner.  This is by no means unusual and this is a common location because as the CPU heats up the keyboard, the hottest area is around the F1, 1, and ~ keys.  The surface temperature difference between these keys and home row is significant.  Since your hands don't tend to rest on the F-keys like they do home row, this is generally a solid compromise making the heat less noticeable.

Yoga needs a different approach because of two unique use cases: tablet mode and stand mode.  With these modes, it's now possible for a user to have the keyboard face down on her lap.  Now we're looking at prolonged contact with the hottest point on the keyboard.  Because of that, we chose to modify our thermal spec to lower the maximum allowed surface temperature of the keyboard, regardless of the location of the hottest point.

The current thermal table represents what we believe to be the best balance between thermal and accoustic performance for all use cases.  However, I've argued above that accoustic and thermal perception are subjective, and it would be idiotic for us to ignore your argument that... well... accoustic and thermal perception are subjective; one size does not fit all.

We still need to do final packaging of the update and the backlevel, then both will go through verification testing, so this isn't going to be on the web within the next few days.  But we've heard you (and the fans) and we're in the final stages of an update to address your concerns.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

-Bloo

--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
Options

6 Posts

01-21-2013

Denmark

37 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 275 of 1012

2013-01-31, 15:14 PM

Thanx bloo. Sound - no pun intended - arguments !

Options

22 Posts

11-22-2012

ann arbor

54 Signins

122 Page Views

• Views: 122
  • Message 276 of 1012

2013-01-31, 15:59 PM

Bloo- thanks for the update.

However, can you address the issue I identified on my blog where the fan scrapes the metal housing?

See photos here: How to Fix Lenovo Fan Noise

1. Is there a plan for how to solve this (major) problem (of the fan scraping the housing)?

And separately,

2. Can you address a solution for how to disable the CPU throttling when the device is in stand mode?

I would imagine this was for battery and heat reasons but it causes the system to be unresponsive (for me and others) - but I'm not sure how to disable it without uninstalling Intel Dynamic Thermal Framework. I would rather just disable the Lenovo setting.

3. (Minor) Is there a way to tighten the hinge? The screen is not steady enough to support heavy use while in Stand Mode. I designed a support brace to solve this, but it would be preferable to have a sturdier hinge.

For those interested: Lenovo Yoga Support Brace for Stand Mode

I think your post neglects one of the other reasons this laptop gets hotter than other ultrabooks (educated guess) - the material used is somewhat insulating...?

Thanks again for your time and attention.

Options

319 Posts

11-28-2007

United States of America

1764 Signins

19691 Page Views

• Views: 19691
  • Message 277 of 1012

2013-01-31, 17:15 PM

Responses:

wrote:

1. Is there a plan for how to solve this (major) problem (of the fan scraping the housing)?

Have the system serviced.  As your write up notes, there's very little clearance between the fan blades and the housing so the margin of error is very small.  That said, if it's scraping, it shouldn't be, so the fan assembly should be replaced.

2. Can you address a solution for how to disable the CPU throttling when the device is in stand mode?

Going to need more info here.  How are you measuring?  Even benchmarking, I'm seeing no difference on my Yogas regardless of mode, but there are a few reasons that may be true.  Honestly, I can't think of a good reason to throttle the CPU in stand or tablet mode, so I'm happy to go ask a developer to convince me otherwise :D

3. (Minor) Is there a way to tighten the hinge? The screen is not steady enough to support heavy use while in Stand Mode. I designed a support brace to solve this, but it would be preferable to have a sturdier hinge.

For those interested: Lenovo Yoga Support Brace for Stand Mode

There's not, that I'm aware of.  This is another "delicate balance" issue.  There's a rate of diminshing returns on screen wobble and we played around with several levels of hinge resistence.  Getting the screen much more stable than it is, especially when tapping higher than center, required torquing down the hinges to the point the system was hard to open.  This an area of ongoing research.

I sometimes wonder whether we gave stand mode the credit it deserves.  I saw a lot of chatter around tent mode, which is cool and all, but my experience and observation is that stand mode is the truly innovative use case.  But don't tell anyone I said that ;)

--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
Options

7 Posts

12-17-2012

Finland

136 Signins

677 Page Views

• Views: 677
  • Message 278 of 1012

2013-01-31, 18:03 PM

nobody has said thank you yet! Thank you. This update is exactly what I've been hoping for. I love my yoga... and now I'll love it even more. Thank you for putting the time and resources into doing this.

Ryan.

Options

9 Posts

01-14-2013

Finland

93 Signins

274 Page Views

• Views: 274
  • Message 279 of 1012

2013-01-31, 18:17 PM

Thanks for answering! When can we expect this update?

Edit. I read your long answer again, not in the next few days i presume. The sooner the better. If this gets any more silent in light use like internet-browsing, this would be killer device!

Options

5 Posts

01-29-2013

USA

14 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 280 of 1012

2013-01-31, 18:45 PM
Just wanted to jump in to say, thank you!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)