Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

02-22-2013

United States

45 Signins

251 Page Views

• Views: 251
  • Message 431 of 1012

Re: Yoga 13 Fan Noise

2013-03-15, 3:24 AM

wrote:

I registered to provide my feedback after anxiously waiting for a fix and checking this thread every day.  Maybe someone will find it helpful. 

Finally couldn't wait any longer for the "fix" and returned the Yoga, reluctantly.  I really wanted to keep it.  I loved everything about it but couldn't live with the noise.  Fans ran constantly, and I could have lived with that except for the high pitched whine when the second fan kicked in... associated with some additional high pitched noised from case vibration that I could reduce by gently touching the right hand bottom of the unit's case opposite the f12 key.  In terms of pitch, the sounds were almost at the upper limit of what I could perceive... undeniably I would feel unsettled and stressed after working with the machine for a period of time.  I was really questioning myself, wondering if perhaps I was just being too obsessive-compulsive about the whole thing...then at one point I was using the Yoga in the living room and my wife was reading, sitting about fifteen feet away, and she complained about the high pitched sounds. That was it for the Yoga :-).  

My hunch is that a new fan algorithm will help (to the extent noise is generated by the fan spinning) but is not getting to the root cause.  As other posters have suggested, I think there is a mechanical/engineering/production issue with the fans.  There are some good ones apparently but it is hit or miss.  I was talking to an associate at **** *** (large electronics retailer in the USA) and when I asked him what he thought of Lenovos (I hadn't mentioned my problem with the Yoga's fan), he said they were good machines except for problems with the fans...all of their Lenovo store demos had developed fan failures, though he said under normal home use they would probably be okay.... 

As an alternative, I then tried a Dell XPS 12 at home... (good screen, keyboard, but they ruined it with a terrible trackpad)...the fan would sometimes come on, at times quite audibly, but it was just the sound of moving air, no high pitch noises.  I could have lived with that fan noise but not the lousy trackpad.  Having also returned that machine, I am now typing this message on an Asus UX31a... very cool and near silent operation... excellent screen and trackpad....fans rarely (maybe once or twice a day) come on at all with general net surfing, messaging and word processing.  And when they do come on, fan operation is barely audible, even in a totally quiet room.  No high pitched whine.  Now if this thing could only bend backwards.....

Best wishes to all of you who are still waiting, I hope the problem will be resolved.   

Congrats man. I'm using the same thing. I have the touch version and I aboslutley love it. There is literally nothing wrong with it. Even the power adapter is awesome..(its a little box) with no thing in the middle

Options

7 Posts

03-15-2013

Svalbard and Jan Mayen

26 Signins

195 Page Views

• Views: 195
  • Message 432 of 1012

2013-03-15, 5:01 AM

wrote:

1. Of course it has a heatsink. You think the fan just blows across the cpu surface?

2. Aluminum is lighter than copper. Hopefully you can understand the underlying point there. It's also not much worse than copper in terms of heat dispersion. A vast majority of cpu coolers are all-aluminum, those that aren't are usually aluminum with copper heatpipes (which is most likely what the Yoga 13 uses). There are very few full-copper heatsinks out there, especially on OEM devices.

3. I bet your crappy HP was at least twice as thick as this laptop. With more thickness, you can fit more substantial cooling solution (more heat dispersion, more airflow with less fan noise). 

Anyway, the Yoga 13's cpu temperature thresholds are what cause the always-on fan. The fan's on for anything over ~38c in my experience, which is unnecessarily low. These chips have a T-Junction of 105c (maximum thermal load); you don't want to see them get that high, but up to 80c or so they're WELL within tolerance. In my personal experience, my cpu maxes around 68c running LinX (essentially; the heaviest load a cpu will ever experience).

shutting off the fan while idle, the idle temps will increase. The problem is finding something that works for everyone (and doesn't result in fried hardware). With current settings, the top surface of my laptop stays cool during all usage situations (left side of the keyboard under the 123 keys gets slightly warmer @ full load). 

Moderator note: inappropriate language removed.  Let's keep it respectful.

They could have used a thin (or thick) shim of metal over the CPU instead of the real heatsink. Of course that I didn't think the fan blows over the CPU. What were you thinking when giving such an answer ?

When commenting back on my HP, why didn't you take some time and tried to comment on my remark about the fan noise on T420s ? It doesn't spin on idle. Is it because it's thicker ? Then, you wise guy, explain me why I don't hear the fan even when it's running, just a little bit of air hum ?

After all, why don't you comment on the fan noise /temperature in e.g. Asus Zenbook ?  Search the internet and you'll find it's a way better than Lenovo Yoga when it comes to the fan noise (or try it in a store).

Then you check Dell XPS 12 - again, it's air hum, not fan noise.

Then, you can go and  try new Sony T Series 13 inch. It's a 1K$ laptop as well and the CPU is at 50C under no load while the fan runs crazy.

See my point ? There are poorly executed cooling systems (when it comes to fan usage) and Lenovo Yoga is one of them.

Options

16 Posts

02-05-2013

France

72 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 433 of 1012

2013-03-15, 6:40 AM
Finally I see some customers that are being honest about the Yoga issues and about their customer support. Check out my replies on yoga 13 auto rotation failure and yoga 13 Bluetooth audio and you will see how my Lenovo experience has turned into a nightmare...
Options

7 Posts

12-17-2012

Finland

136 Signins

677 Page Views

• Views: 677
  • Message 434 of 1012

2013-03-15, 7:39 AM

just realized that this thread has over 10 thousand views. You'd think Lenovo would take this seriously. Weird.

Options

2 Posts

03-14-2013

USA

10 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 435 of 1012

2013-03-15, 13:01 PM

wrote:

wrote:

I registered to provide my feedback after anxiously waiting for a fix and checking this thread every day.  Maybe someone will find it helpful. 

Finally couldn't wait any longer for the "fix" and returned the Yoga, reluctantly.  I really wanted to keep it.  I loved everything about it but couldn't live with the noise.  Fans ran constantly, and I could have lived with that except for the high pitched whine when the second fan kicked in...

I am now typing this message on an Asus UX31a... very cool and near silent operation... excellent screen and trackpad....

Congrats man. I'm using the same thing. I have the touch version and I aboslutley love it. There is literally nothing wrong with it. Even the power adapter is awesome..(its a little box) with no thing in the middle

Yep, I have the Asus Zenbook touch version, awesome machine.  I appreciate how they also include a nifty case for it, one less thing to buy.  The power adapter is cool...if I were to nitpick, I would say go all the way with the Mac mimic and make the power connector a magnetic connection.  Also, I did like the keyboard layout better on the Lenovo.  Amazed how silent it is... Asus really did a good job of engineering heat management... fans have run maybe 10 seconds in total in the last week of fairly continuous use.  It just doesn't get hot enough to require the fans.  Of course all of these will likely be left behind after the Haswell chip comes out in a few months.

Options

4 Posts

03-15-2013

Switzerland

28 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 436 of 1012

2013-03-15, 16:29 PM

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to share something with you all.  I've been reading up on the forum to see what to expect from the Yoga 13.  I decided to buy one three days ago and the Local Mediamarkt here in Zürich had them on promo.

128SSD/8GB/I5 in silver.

I got home unboxed it and started setting up the machine.  Fans were horrible, high pitch wine and a noticeable hum from the vents at the back.  Wifi was poor, 1M away from my Cisco e4200 router I got 3 bars....   I decided to continue setting it up, updates and all, driver updates from the Lenovo site, and the hotfix for the disk partitions.  The I removed all the bloatware etc.

In essence the concept of the machine was simply brilliant!

Once I got over my excitement of having the new toy and settled down to work on it.  I quickly realized that the fans were going to take a toll on me.  Did a reset of windows, packed up the machine and went back to Mediamarkt.

The service technician was very nice and agreed the fans were unbearable, and offered to exchange the unit.  I gladly accepted and we unpacked a new one in the store to checkup on the 'Fan Noise'.  Lo and behold this one was totally silent. Yes the fans spin all the time, but all you hear is the noise of air flowing through the vents.  No mechanical fan noise, no whining.

During the setup of the machine, I switched it to the 'High Power' setting, to speed up installation of updates etc. and the fans remained at the low speed, only when installing .net updates did they go up one notch, but still very quiet.

Needless to say this machine is a keeper!  So there is a variance on the products out there in the market.

And for info, I sold my MacBook Pro Retina 15.4" to switch to the Yoga, ditching my iPad at the same time.  I'm sold.

Cheers!

Options

7 Posts

03-15-2013

Svalbard and Jan Mayen

26 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 437 of 1012

2013-03-15, 18:35 PM

So after all these email I can conclude one thing:

The possible bios update can do a simple fix to start fan at higher temperature. But it won't fix many of those defective fans that produce high pitch.

Options

31 Posts

10-28-2012

New York

1050 Signins

3352 Page Views

• Views: 3352
  • Message 438 of 1012

2013-03-15, 21:50 PM

If you're getting a high pitched noise it's probably coil whine and can be fixed with a registry setting.

Options

7 Posts

03-16-2013

So Cal

109 Signins

420 Page Views

• Views: 420
  • Message 439 of 1012

2013-03-16, 8:12 AM

Well, as a new owner of a refurb, I have to say I'm concerned about this issue.  I have a kind of forerunner of an "ultrabook", a Dell from 2009, that is SSD-equipped with a Core Duo, and my wife has a similarly spec'ed MB Air from 2011.  One of the distinct pleasures of both those machines is their complete absence of sound, i.e. fan or hard drive noise.  The only time the fan engages in either machine--and it SHOULD engage at times--is when streaming or playing video,  in which case normally audio is also being played which masks it, or performing very CPU-intensive tasks.

It's disappointing, therefore, to hear the fan running constantly on this new machine!  One of the main reasons I went for this machine is I wanted a (silent!) SSD, even if it only holds 1/4 the data.  I feel as though I have moved retrograde in this respect. The fan seems"dumb" and does not vary at all, whether when streaming video or just "at idle", which is obviously improper. I have yet to feel any warming, I don't hear any high-pitched whine per se--it sounds like a normal, if rather loud, laptop fan.  

I see that there have been responses by some Lenovo staff on this thread, so I'm hoping that a (BIOS, presumably) fix will be released, as this isn't really acceptable, particularly with a device with pretensions of a part-time tablet!  I would seriously consider returning it were it not for the 15% restocking penalty (this refurb machine seems otherwise perfectly nice).

...just my 2 cent contribution...

Options

7 Posts

03-15-2013

Svalbard and Jan Mayen

26 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 440 of 1012

2013-03-16, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the info on coil whine. But that helped just a bit. However, when I stop the fans by hand I can still hear that coil whine.
What's interesting is that I took the keyboard out, per instructions, and it really popped out easily. But, I couldn't put it back easily - upper hinges are so small and week and few of them don't work any more.
This laptop is really a POS.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms