Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wulftone
Not applicable
Views: 49,042
Message 1 of 998

Yoga 13 Fan Noise

Hey everybody,

I just got the Yoga 13 and the fan will not stop... ever... and it's loud.  It's not broken.. it works just fine, but the fan is constantly running.  This is incredibly obnoxious in a quiet space.  Is there a fix for this?  Do the later hardware revisions change the fan speed (or preferably turn it off when it's not needed)?

This was purchased from Best Buy, and the model number is much lower than the ones for sale on the lenovo website, so I'm guessing it was an earlier manufacturing run. Maybe this noisiness is by design, but I hope they recognise it's a problem and try to improve it.

Thanks!

rzp2003
Not applicable
Views: 48,816
Message 2 of 998

Re: Yoga 13 Fan Noise

Do you still use the Norton anti-virus? If so you can remove it and replace it with the free MSE.

You can also download the freeware HWMonitor to check what the temperature is. If the idle temp is higher than 45 c degrees then it could mean the thermal paste needs to be adjusted (call lenovo for a service).

NateS
Not applicable
Views: 48,811
Message 3 of 998

Just a heads-up... seemingly, there's no MSE for Windows 8. If you visit the MSE page it informs that, for Win8, Windows Defender incorporates the antivirus duties.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

upbull340
Not applicable
Views: 48,796
Message 4 of 998

MSE Website. . .  I guess we have to believe them. . .  

Note

• In Windows 8 and Windows RT, Windows Defender provides the same level of protection against malware  as Microsoft Security Essentials. You can't use Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 8 or Windows RT, but you don't need to—Windows Defender is already included and ready to go.

tednash
Not applicable
Views: 48,755
Message 5 of 998

Yoga 13 Fan wont stop (is this normal?)

Just got my Yoga 13 today,  loving it...  except the fan wont stop... 

is this normal?

is something broken?  im probably going to return it.

Im  100% sure  the people at best buy or even lenovo tech support would give me the tom and jerry runaround

so no use in asking them...but really.. any ideas.. really dissapointed as it is s dealbreaker

upbull340
Not applicable
Views: 48,711
Message 6 of 998

Re: Yoga 13 Fan wont stop (is this normal?)

Just got my Yoga 13 today,  loving it...  except the fan wont stop...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope its not normal.  Are there any power/fan management tools from Lenovo or within Windows 8 that you can play with?  If not, and it continues I'd suggest you call Lenovo support for guidance. 

tednash
Not applicable
Views: 48,693
Message 7 of 998

Re: Yoga 13 Fan wont stop (is this normal?)

I'd bet $10 the first person I speak to a lenovo tech support won't evenknow what the Yoga is.... Then I have no wish to be transfered around for 2 hours ago only to be told to "reinstall". Windows and then after that to ship it in for repair.... I bought the thing yesterday... This shouldn't happen out of the box.... Going to Best Buy in an hour to return it...

Sad cause I love everything about it.... (except the small shift key but I could have lived with that...) maybe will buy v2 once they get it right....
noxxle
Not applicable
Views: 48,664
Message 8 of 998

How hot does the proc get?  The fan issue might be resolvable via a bios update.

tednash
Not applicable
Views: 48,649
Message 9 of 998

Underneath is way hotter than it should be,  I have a year old Zenbook an its silent and cool after hours,  after 15 minutes the Yoga is uncomfortable to put on the lap.    

I already returned the Yoga just now  no need to play mecaniac with a new computer out of the box,  will try again when they acknowledge and get this stuff fixed so it works th first time you turn it on!

wulftone
Not applicable
Views: 48,597
Message 10 of 998

@rzp2003 wrote:

Do you still use the Norton anti-virus? If so you can remove it and replace it with the free MSE.

You can also download the freeware HWMonitor to check what the temperature is. If the idle temp is higher than 45 c degrees then it could mean the thermal paste needs to be adjusted (call lenovo for a service).

The computer didn't come with Norton installed, thankfully.

I downloaded SpeedFan, but it couldn't find any fans.

I also downloaded HWMonitor, and it shows much the same information that SpeedFan did about CPU temps and whatnot. Here's the readout after doing stuff, current readings are with a couple of system tools and chrome open:

temps.png

They seem totally reasonable.  The higher temps were acheived during a "system maintenance" thing I manually started.  But the fan is still running at a very audible level at only 40 degrees C, and that's where it seems to stay most of the time during web browsing and whatnot.

At no time does the Yoga become too hot to put on my lap, so I dunno what was going on with the guy above who had the "hot yoga".  ; )

I'd still like to see this loud fan issue resolved somehow.  Does anyone have a Yoga with a quiet fan?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors