Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
earthkeptwarm
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,600
Message 1 of 12

Yoga 13 Headphone Hum / Ground Noise

Hi,

When I plug my Lenova Yoga 13 into the mains to power, there is very audible buzzing noise coming from the heaphone output. This happens both with unpowered headphones as well as externally powered speakers that are plugged in on the same strip.

The headphone issue is the one that is a particular concern as I can't understand why there might be grounding issues?

I'm a UK user. Is this an uncommon issue?

XMB
Punch Card
Views: 1,579
Message 2 of 12

Re: Yoga 13 Headphone Hum / Ground Noise

Do you have anything plugged into any of the other ports, apart from the power supply and the headphones?

Normally the hum is due to leakage currents flowing from the power supply earth. It may of course be due to excessive ripple from the power supply.
earthkeptwarm
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,570
Message 3 of 12

Hi.

Nothing else plugged in. Just the mains connection.

I don't buy into blaming the mains circuits as this doesn't appear to be a situation on other peoples laptop computers here so what are the possible issues within the machine and power supply itself?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

XMB
Punch Card
Views: 1,565
Message 4 of 12

I tired on my Yoga and I hear no hum, with or without the power supply connected.

As you only get the hum when the power supply is conected I suggest you try another power supply.

earthkeptwarm
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,563
Message 5 of 12

Do you think that would be something covered by my warranty?

aevans
Paper Tape
Views: 1,527
Message 6 of 12

Yup I get the same buzzing noise. but only when the battery is at 100%. So if i'm listening to music I disconnect the mains supply for a bit until the battery goes down to 50% then reconnect it.Bit annoying but I can live with it.

I have noticed that if you put the charger half way in and touch the metal shielding on the connector, this reduces the noise.

XMB
Punch Card
Views: 1,520
Message 7 of 12

Out of interest does the hum alter if you insert the figure-of-eight mains lead into the power supply the oposite way around? (So in effect you are swapping over the live and neutral connections.)

aevans
Paper Tape
Views: 1,517
Message 8 of 12

Nope, not on mine
earthkeptwarm
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,460
Message 9 of 12

Doesn't matter which way I plug it in, I am still getting buzz.

There doesn't appear to be any shielding that I touch that earth's the connection, its just a constant. Would a new power supply make any difference? If so... why would it make a difference?

XMB
Punch Card
Views: 1,454
Message 10 of 12

If there is no noise when the power supply is un-plugged then the most likely source of the noise is the power supply. There is of course a possibility that, when the power supply is charging the battery, some internal charging electronics are creating the noise.

Can you call into a PC World and see if you could try one of their display units power supply?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors