Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

52 Posts

11-14-2012

Seattlish

138 Signins

724 Page Views

• Views: 724
  • Message 1 of 23

Yoga 13 - Satisfied Users with Glitch-Free Systems!

2012-12-04, 21:27 PM

One problem with support boards is that people jump in to ask for help, or to complain, but they rarely drop in to say "wow, I just love my new system!"

If you have an IdeaPad Yoga 13 and your system's running without quirks or glitches, chime in here! And if you made tweaks to the system that make it glitch-free for you, it'd be great if you could share those.

I had to return my initial system due to a hardware issue, but I'm really hoping the second one will be the charm, because when it was working fine, I really, really liked it. So, it'd be reassuring to hear from you folks who are just quietly enjoying your Yoga 13s!

Options

6 Posts

11-18-2012

united states

5 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 2 of 23

Re: Yoga 13 - Satisfied Users with Glitch-Free Systems!

2012-12-04, 23:13 PM

As early adopters, there is the necessary undertaking of a "learning curve" that we have to go through until this piece of machinery really takes its place on our laps. 

Let me preface by saying this is my first serious laptop purchase in over 6 years. I was getting by on buying cheap laptops on craigslist every couple years just to get by. Finally deciding to bite the bullet, I had actually purchased the Lenovo U400 with less than stellar specs. That was before I took a stroll into Best Buy.

I saw people crowding around the machine I too, was curious as to what the commotion was all about. Well there it was, this super slim interestingly built computer that had great physical features.. .but I was skeptical about hardware. Upon closer inspection, this machine blew the one I bought out of the water and I had to have it. I babied this thing from day 1 and as an early adopter, was hypersensitive about any potential problem that might happen.

I immediately ran into the "touch screen not working" problem which was fixed only by restarting. Well a forum check showed me disabling BTDev Manager would solve that. Problem eradicated.

Then ONLY until I read about it, did I notice the constant fan running... I assumed something was wrong.. Scoured the internet for a way to fix it but then realized it is something that could be fixed with an update, and actually it's not that loud AND keeps my laptop cool. Why am I complaining again?

It took me a moment to realize that the partitions of the harddrive were all screwy and I better put my installs on a diet so as not to swallow up my precious SSD space. Well a hot fix came out a little less than a month AND I just found out there's a second OPEN slot for a 2nd SSD to which I will be buying a 128 or 256 ssd and filling that gap soon. 

Lastly that leaves me to the keyboard issue. I type A LOT (transcription part time work) and when I bought the laptop I left it with Best Buy to upgrade the memory to 8GB. They (probably less than gently) peeled back the keyboard and realized it was a 1 8GB stick, rather than 2 4's like they told me it was. The closed it back up (to which now it was less than flush and bit mushy) then I ordered my 8GB stick from Crucial and reopened it back up to stick it in. The keyboard still sits mushy in the top right and my only fix at this point will be to attempt double sided tape. This issue is cosmetic and does not affect the functionality of what I'm using my computer for.. I can't really complain since yea, opening something that's taped down, loosens it. Basic common sense.

I love my Yoga, she stays on nearly 18 hours a day and never bogs down and the screen is brilliant and everything else works spectacularly. I was scared to drop a thousand bucks on 1 piece of equipment, but I have no regrets at this time.

Hope this helps! 

Options

32 Posts

10-26-2012

Connecticut

106 Signins

1132 Page Views

• Views: 1132
  • Message 3 of 23

2012-12-05, 1:01 AM

While the Yoga wasn't perfect out of the box, the issues I experienced weren't show stoppers for me.  I still have the fan constantly running issue, no biggie for me since I pretty much never use it in a dead silent room anyway. I had the SSD space issue, but following Yikes quide, I recovered most of the wasted free space. I had the issue with Windows Update, but found the workaround for that. All in all, I'm quite happy with the Yoga.  I travel 70% of the time and the Yoga is great for taking everywhere with me. I actually use it all 4 modes and it's great! No regrets.

Options

7460 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29476 Signins

1686673 Page Views

• Views: 1686673
  • Message 4 of 23

2012-12-05, 2:15 AM

Nice thread.

Nice to hear the good stories!

Thanks!

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

57 Posts

10-26-2012

North Carolina

148 Signins

684 Page Views

• Views: 684
  • Message 5 of 23

2012-12-05, 2:17 AM

Awesome, great idea for a thread... you're exactly right about only the negative feedback getting the most coverage.

I bought mine 10/29 and absolutely love it!! I was bummed about the lack of storage at first, but Lenovo offerred the patch that gives you at least 100gb of free space. I also ordered and installed an additional 128gb SSD and 8gb RAM. This thing screams and I now have enough storage to use this as my primary laptop.

Others have had problems with the fan noise or wifi, but mine has been solid. I will note that I had a wifi problem after upgrading drivers... it was horrible, but I "rolled back" to the original version and all is well again.

The real winner with the Yoga is the awesome screen. So bright, multi-touch is awesome, and resolution is perfect for a screen this size. 

I love it, a very good buy and good laptop... there is no better option on the market. 

Options

2192 Posts

05-02-2008

Malaysia

14693 Signins

219550 Page Views

• Views: 219550
  • Message 6 of 23

2012-12-05, 3:31 AM

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for spending your precious time to share with us your love with your new toy - Yoga 13. Yeah it's true that people usually come into social space for finding solutions/complaints. That's definitely nothing wrong with it because I am looking for solutions too for products that I have problem with.

How many of us really go to certain sites and just to tell them 'hey your product is really awesome' ? Thus, i'm truly grateful for your positive notes left right here. It gives us especially those helping in this forum the strength to do better!

Thanks again, folks!

Cheers,
Cleo

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Options

6 Posts

11-18-2012

united states

5 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 7 of 23

2012-12-05, 6:09 AM

@tdanbrown Did you install the 128GB second SSD yourself? Just curious. I haven't seen any youtube vids out yet with instructions on how to do this. Curious about how the system accepts the new drive, if its just a plug and go, or you have to do anything with the BIOS to have it accept the drive. Excuse my crude knowledge I'm learning more everyday. 

Options

36 Posts

11-28-2012

United States of America

38 Signins

498 Page Views

• Views: 498
  • Message 8 of 23

2012-12-05, 6:21 AM

My first Bestbuy Yoga had fan noise issue but the exchanged unit is working great. Best form factor for a computer!

Options

57 Posts

10-26-2012

North Carolina

148 Signins

684 Page Views

• Views: 684
  • Message 9 of 23

2012-12-05, 10:36 AM

Yes, I did the install myself. It was easier than I expected. Just go slow and keep track of all the screws. It is definitely torx T5 screw... some say they've usd T4, but it's really T5.

SSD installation is a snap, litterally just like adding memory. No BIOS modifications needed, it sees is automatically. The only thing you have to do is format it within Windows from computer management and assign a drive letter. Start > Run > compmgmt.msc then disk management. It's pretty self explanatory from there.

Options

31 Posts

10-28-2012

New York

1050 Signins

3352 Page Views

• Views: 3352
  • Message 10 of 23

2012-12-05, 19:11 PM

I'm very happy with mine.  I've been reading this forum before I got it so I was able to fix the disk space and swipe from edge issues right away.  I found out how to fix Windows Update here when I ran into it, and Lenovo's updated drivers fixed the touchpad/Office issue.  I never had a problem with wifi or the coating chipping off.  I'd still like them to provide an update so the fan doesn't run constantly, but it's not something I'd return it over.

I bought it because I wanted a good laptop first and any tablet stuff would be a bonus.  I was kind of skeptical of Windows 8 too but now that I've been using it I love the touch stuff.  I use it that way more than I thought I would, and it's nice to be able to flip it around to stand mode to get the keyboard out of the way.  The screen is great and it boots up extremely fast.  Cold boot is 6 or 7 seconds from button press to lock screen.  From hibernation it's 8 to 10.

I have RAM and SSD upgrades waiting at home, I just didn't have the tools to do it yet because my Torx screwdriver only goes down to T6.  Will probably be able to do it tonight or tomorrow night.  I also have this page bookmarked so I can see if that will alleviate the fan noise a bit while I'm in there, but it doesn't sound like scraping at all so it might not.

So yes, it does have its glitches, but the forum that tells you about them also provides fixes for most of them.  I'm still very happy with it overall.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms