Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choppy
Paper Tape
Views: 776
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 13 - To buy or not to buy- fan and wireless issues

I want to buy the Yoga 13 but the wifi and fan issues that I've read up on here are deal breakers. I've reviewed all of the ultra book convertibles and I really *want* the Yoga 13, can finally do away with the mouse which I never liked anyway. I have to get the laptop in the next week I'm starting a new job on the 18th, wanted to get used to the OS on a touchscreen also. Appreciate the Twist is the business model, but the Yoga winds hands down for design. Also, can't seem to get an orange one with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM from any reseller in the UK, even the Lenovo site doesn't seem to be doing these anymore.

Anyone heard back on the wifi and fan issues, any fixes for these, planned or otherwise?

All those that have taken theirs back, what are you buying as an alternative. The Dell XPS seems like the only option, but I don't like the way it converts

Thanks
dumbth
SCSI Port
Views: 731
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 13 - To buy or not to buy- fan and wireless issues

I just got my second yoga i7. Neither had the slightest wifi or fan problem. The first one died after 2 weeks, and they were too backed up to exchange or fix it for me so i just returned it to lenovo. I couldnt get as good discount for a new one, so i downgraded to 128gb and silver color. Works perfectly and i dont miss the shrill orange. Maybe i celebrate too soon because i havent done windows update yet, which was rocky with the last one.
GregV
Token Ring
Views: 714
Message 3 of 6

There are two fan issues.  One is the fan hitting the casing, which doesn't affect all Yogas.  If you get one that has that you can exchange it for another one.  Mine didn't have that issue.

The second is that the fans run almost all the time which makes it louder than it needs to be.  Lenovo is working on an update that will let you choose to keep the current behavior for a louder but cooler Yoga, or change to a quieter but warmer Yoga.  It should be released around the end of the month. (1, 2)

I haven't been following the wifi issue because I don't have a problem with mine.

Choppy
Paper Tape
Views: 627
Message 4 of 6

Tha is for the update, I think I'll get one and see how it pans out
Choppy
Paper Tape
Views: 626
Message 5 of 6

I think I'd prefer a warm yoga to a constant whirring fan, thanks for the update, it helps, at least one of the issues will have a workaround
Mattrition
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 573
Message 6 of 6

Hi Choppy,

In my personal experience and two weeks with the yoga 13 I have not experienced any problems with the wifi or fan. As others have noted, the fan is a little trigger happy and makes a fairly distinct rushing sound when it gets going but it is not too loud for me - I actually find it quite soothing when I'm browsing quietly in bed! The laptop only appears to get uncomfortably hot when I play games on it though, which is completely expected (I play pinball fx2 on it in tablet portrait mode - an fantastic way to play pinball!)

I have come across a couple of other issues with the laptop, however. These all seem to be driver-related issues and will hopefully be fixable:

1) [resolved] I had a small issue with windows updates. One update will absolutely not install unless you stop all the non-essential background services. See here for the solution. I also could not update any apps through the windows store for a week. This seems to be not directly related to the yoga. Nevertheless, the solution is to boot into safe mode and delete the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.

2) [unresolved] The keyboard and trackpad sometimes do not turn off until the yoga has been flipped all the way around into tablet mode. For me, this happens intermittently and can be fixed by logging off and on again when it does happen. A thread about this can be found here http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-IdeaTab-Slate-Tablets/Yoga-13-keyboard-not-turning-off-until-alm...

3) [unresolved] The screen sometimes refuses to autorotate for me when I rotate the laptop's screen. This issue is also intermittent for me and I can't pin it down to be reproducible. An ongoing thread about this issue can be found here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-IdeaTab-Slate-Tablets/Yoga-13-Auto-Rotate/td-p/913997

Other than these unresolved issues the Yoga 13 is a brilliant laptop that I would recommend to anyone with the cash to spare. I absolutely don't regret buying it!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors