Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-28-2013

Canada

8 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 1 of 15

Yoga 13 - Would you recommend it a year later

2013-07-28, 21:40 PM

I am currently in the market for a new laptop/ultrabook and the convertibility from laptop mode to all the positions of the Yoga really have me intruiged. Allot of reviews list its size as a problem and recommend the 11s in its place. I had the opportunity to play with the Yoga 13 in a local store and its size doesn't seem that cumbersome to me. They didn't have the 11s in stock but I did try typing on a 11" MBA to see if there's any difference and it felt cramped.

The only concern I have at this point is all the issues some Yoga users have been experiencing (Wifi, touch pad, touch screen, rubber paint problems ect...) What I'd like to know, now that the Yoga 13 has been out for almost a year (9 months), those of you that have had your Yoga 13's for a while, would you still buy a Yoga 13 today if you knew what kind of experience you would have ie would you still recommend it a year later.

Thanks

-Alien

Answer
Options

14 Posts

12-05-2012

Portland, OR

17 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141

Re: Yoga 13 - Would you recommend it a year later

2013-07-30, 18:30 PM

No. It's a close one, but unrefined and buggy driver support, and the lack of timely improvements from Lenovo, have started to turn me against the brand as a whole.

A few points:

-Unfefined trackpad driver---it is a great as a piece of hardware, but could be SO much more fluid and have more options to customize and improve the experience (for instance, the ability to turn of right-click---this should be a MUST for any single-panel touchpad).

-Auto-rotate---randomly quits working---got better with last BIOS update but still have to sleep/wake or even do a full restart on occasion to get it back.

-Battery---wish it had better life but it's a tradeoff PC makers are stuck with until Haswell. However, it seems to be losing it's capacity at an unacceptably rapid rate. Seems like it's on track to be completely shot before the 2-year mark. When I've got an ASUS laptop at home with a battery that's still going strong into it's 4th year, this is really frustrating.

In summary, I can't recommend any Lenovo products, and won't be buying any more myself, until they refine their driver support. I recommend the Surface Pro---tried that out in the Window Store the other day----liked it a LOT---and much better than I thought I would.

Replies(14)
Answer
Options

14 Posts

12-05-2012

Portland, OR

17 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 2 of 15

2013-07-30, 18:30 PM

No. It's a close one, but unrefined and buggy driver support, and the lack of timely improvements from Lenovo, have started to turn me against the brand as a whole.

A few points:

-Unfefined trackpad driver---it is a great as a piece of hardware, but could be SO much more fluid and have more options to customize and improve the experience (for instance, the ability to turn of right-click---this should be a MUST for any single-panel touchpad).

-Auto-rotate---randomly quits working---got better with last BIOS update but still have to sleep/wake or even do a full restart on occasion to get it back.

-Battery---wish it had better life but it's a tradeoff PC makers are stuck with until Haswell. However, it seems to be losing it's capacity at an unacceptably rapid rate. Seems like it's on track to be completely shot before the 2-year mark. When I've got an ASUS laptop at home with a battery that's still going strong into it's 4th year, this is really frustrating.

In summary, I can't recommend any Lenovo products, and won't be buying any more myself, until they refine their driver support. I recommend the Surface Pro---tried that out in the Window Store the other day----liked it a LOT---and much better than I thought I would.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

14 Posts

12-05-2012

Portland, OR

17 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

2013-07-30, 18:35 PM

Regarding the rubber paint

--I've kept mine in a padded sleeve since I got it and it still looks great after 8 months---the bottom is a bit scratched up but the top still looks pretty nice. There is a clearish coating on the inside of the body that's coming off a bit at the corners --- pretty minor but still maybe something Lenovo could look to improve on future models.

In general, thought, the soft feel of this machine is really nice, but it's also scratch-prone---it should ALWAYS be kept in some kind of padded sleeve--never just dumped into a bag in the open with other objects.

Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Views: 7583
  • Message 4 of 15

2013-07-30, 18:39 PM

No. There are a lot of threads here asking this same question. My opinion is... Wait for a new wireless card. Wait for Haswell and see if the new Yoga has quieter fans when it gets the new Intel chips.

Options

38 Posts

06-15-2013

United Kingdom

101 Signins

440 Page Views

• Views: 440
  • Message 5 of 15

2013-07-30, 19:11 PM
If you need a Windows convertible machine now then it is still a good choice. The fan noise is the main issue for many and a better (dual band) wifi card would be nice..

Otherwise just buy a 13" MacBook Air!
Options

3 Posts

07-28-2013

Canada

8 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 6 of 15

2013-07-31, 2:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll look for another ultrabook. As far as macs go, I like the build quality but I despise the Apple philosophy and how it limits what you can and can't do as opposed to a normal pc with windows & linux.

Thanks again

-Alien

Options

48 Posts

02-07-2013

Germany

313 Signins

1452 Page Views

• Views: 1452
  • Message 7 of 15

2013-07-31, 21:43 PM

Just install bootcamp and you got your windows ;)

And no here. I am a person who has returned his Yoga after 3 months of usage as it was faulty from my point of view. 

The keyboard is terrible, the fan noise is loud, the build quality is bad so are the materials. The screen feels very bad. It does not even have Corning's Gorilla Glas. Although I have to say my display did not get scratched at all ! 

Options

14 Posts

12-05-2012

Portland, OR

17 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 8 of 15

2013-09-18, 19:05 PM

Wanted to revisit this for what it's worth. I did a full reformat and clean install of Windows 8 Pro (a volume license) when I first got the machine. I ran into so many roadblocks in that process I gave up on the UEFI boot and used Legacy boot instead.

Recently, after trying out Windows 8.1 Preview, I reverted back to Windows 8 Pro by doing another complete reformate/clean install. This time I ran into the same roadblocks again but was able to solve the problems and managed to get a UEFI boot installation.

My new installation works almost PERFECTLY. I'm still not 100% happy with the trackpad driver but it's tolerable--actually pretty good by Windows standards. The touchscreen issues and auto-rotate problems seem to have been solved as well. I don't know if the UEFI install has anything to do with that, or if Windows 8 OS and driver updates issued during my foray into 8.1 preview solved the issues, but whatever the case, I finally have a machine I am quite happy with---seems pretty bug free now. only took 10 months to get there . . .

Options

8 Posts

09-24-2013

Switzerland

17 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 9 of 15

2013-09-25, 13:52 PM

i would buy it again.

i think its very performant, nice looking, and mine doesnt have any problems.

i upgraded a second ssd 256gb and made a tri-boot with win7pro, win8pro and win8core.

works fine!

Options

8 Posts

07-20-2013

France

34 Signins

211 Page Views

• Views: 211
  • Message 10 of 15

2013-09-26, 13:15 PM

Your answer lead me to a simple question: is this malfunctioning of wifi and bluetooth a driver issue or a hardware issue?

I have seen many people replying here describing the exactly same issues that the ones I am experiencing - but it seems that maybe some person do not have any problem.

I'm seriously fed up of this problem which make my Yoga 13 nearly unusable and I'm thinking to send it back to repair as it's under guarantee.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms