cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stfn-64
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,118
Message 1 of 7

Yoga 13: any chance for open source Synaptics touchpad driver or touchpad API?

The Yoga is my 1st Windows machine in years. Coming from various MacBook(s) Pro(s) I dearly miss the capabilities and configurability of Apple's multitouch touchpad. While responsibility of the Synaptics device is fairly decent I haven't found an experience that is anything close to the one perceived on the MacBook touchpad. Latter in combination with BetterTouchTool is my weapon of choice when it comes to productivity. It offers almost unlimited configurability, that is, I can design/configure any gesture I desire and link it to a keystroke for instance. It's just perfect since I am not into Apple's predefined gesture settings at all.

Now I have spent endless hours in getting this back on my new Yoga. At least I am now able to use 3 finger swipes for back/forward navigation. However, this is just a fraction of what I need/want. That's why I am looking for a way to either be able to modify the driver myself (open source, Lenovo/Synaptics?) or get access to an API I can build on. Obviously I'd prefer latter option. Synaptics is touting their Gesture Suite but I cannot find a download somewhere. I'm afraid it's OEM only. And if that's the config app that comes with the standard Synaptics driver it's just pathetic.

So does anyone have a clue on how we can significantly improve the performance of this otherwise very nice laptop?

Thanks in advance,

stfn

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 4,049
Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga 13: any chance for open source Synaptics touchpad driver or touchpad API?

hi stfn-64,

my personal opinion on this case, i don't think either lenovo or synaptics will share the main source codes with you or anyone else.

at this point, i suggest you to try to update drivers synaptics. it may solve your issue.

hope this helps.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
stfn-64
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,027
Message 3 of 7

Re: Yoga 13: any chance for open source Synaptics touchpad driver or touchpad API?

To be honest I never put much hope on my request.

However, I consider the requested functionality crucial if a company wants its products to compete with Apple's. I do not expect anything but just wanted to express my discontent about the current status since I am still hoping for thoroughly thought though, more sophisticated products in the future

About the driver update: as I stated in my initial post if been experimenting with drivers quite a bit.

dodgerfan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,014
Message 4 of 7

What did you do to get 3-finger forward/back swipe on the Lenovo touchpad?  I would like to configure that without downgrading to drivers that don't cooperate with shutting off the touchpad when the screen is folded back for tablet mode.

stfn-64
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,984
Message 5 of 7

This has been discussed in a different thread.

Basic steps are:

- uninstalling current driver

- installing Synaptics driver

- configuring touchpad to one's liking

- installing Lenovo drivr again

Please see for yourself (it's message #4, didn't figure how to link directly): touchpad thread

Jad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,786
Message 6 of 7

Synaptics actually does have an API though they don't really market it: http://www.synaptics.com/resources/developers

There are less than a handful of projects out on the net that use their API, one specifically that you should look at is 'two-finger-scroll': http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll/

I am currently working on a replacement windows driver for an Acer Aspire S7, which has an Elantech touchpad, however, the concept is the same.  And I am pursuing for the same reason: to build a better touchpad interaction than what the manufacturers provide.

As of today (April 20, 2013), I've got an empty Windows KMDF driver (based on "moufiltr" example) compiling and deploying successfully and slightly manipulating the x/y data of the mouse.  However, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to access the raw mouse data like touch points and pressure and all that.

Drop me a line maybe and we can connect on this issue:

Moderator note; e-mail address removed to stop the spambots getting it

Jad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,264
Message 7 of 7

just wanted to say that I open-sourced the work I completed on the project:
https://github.com/jadware/betterfinger

Most of the hard work is done, but there is plenty of labor remaining..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors