Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Terrier_man
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,484
Message 1 of 2

Yoga 13 - i5 or i7 from a gaming POV?

So, I discovered the Yoga 13 when I was browsing the web looking for a suitable next computer, and it fits the bill on many points. I have been trying to find out whether the i5 or the i7 version would be a better buy for me by checking reviews and message boards, but I can't find the information I need, so I turn to you.

I am right now considering both the version with i5 and 4 gigs of RAM and the i7 with 8 gigs of RAM (+ double SSD space). The only reason for me to buy the more expensive i7 version would be a better performance in games, but this is of course relative.

I wouldn't buy the i7 just so that I could put the graphics settings in a game (e.g.. Arkham Asylum) on high instead of medium.

I would, however, buy the i7 if I could run the newer titles (e.g.. BLOPS2, Max Payne 3) with a reasonably stable framerate.

Do you think that the processor and RAM will affect this or does everything hinge on the graphic card? (Then I'll probably go for the i5)

Mattrition
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,472
Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga 13 - i5 or i7 from a gaming POV?

I have a Yoga 13 i7 with 4GB RAM. I haven't tested very far at all with games. The most intensive game I ran was Minecraft and that runs perfectly smooth on the highest setting.

Take a look at The Verge's review for the i7 model, particularly this paragraph:

"The Yoga's even a vaguely usable gaming machine, which is leaps and bounds better than I can say for most ultrabooks. Older games like Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X play relatively smoothly, and even newer games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, which cripples most ultrabooks, was at least decently playable at native resolution and low settings — though by no means should you mistake this for a competitor to an actual gaming rig."

Generally, gaming largely does hinge on a decent graphics card - but a better processor with integrated graphics will definitely stretch a bit further than a lesser processor.

Hope that helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors