Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madhatter7750
Punch Card
Views: 14,073
Message 21 of 47

Re: Yoga 13 mSata storage limit?

Is the removal of the bottom of the Yoga straight forward are there any issues I should be aware of when I add another drive?

Does anyone have a video of this perhaps?

dennya
SCSI Port
Views: 13,968
Message 22 of 47

Here's the service manual; haven't checked it out yet, but I assume it has the info you need:

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_yoga13_hmm_1st_edition_oct_2012_english.pdf

There are also some photos in the last post on this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/640537-ideapad-yoga-34.html

rlirwin1138
What's DOS?
Views: 13,806
Message 23 of 47

Can you supply some instructions on how the hard drive was installed or some link to details?
rlirwin1138
What's DOS?
Views: 13,805
Message 24 of 47

Can you give some details on how the second sad was installed?

ppc_zouz
Paper Tape
Views: 13,784
Message 25 of 47

Hello Guys

I wish I had made a video about the install, but it really is easy enough.

Actually, you do not remove the bottom, instead, you remove the keyboard bezel and palm rest.

Once you removed the keyboard (as shown in videos on youtube), there is no trick to remove the bezel. There are 10 screws on the bottom, none hidden. And there are 5 screws below the keyboard (the one holding the bezel).

Once removed, you will need to pry the bezel open... be warned... use nothing but a plastic pry tool. Ones for cell phones repair work best. The bezel is very sensitive and bruses like a peach.

Although not necessary, I would recommend disconnecting the keyboard ribbon cable and removing the keyboard. It is quite easy to reconnect later on.

The bezel is connected to the motherboard with two cables: the trackpad and what seems to be the wireless antenna cable. You do no need to disconnect those cables as the PCIe slot is quite accessible.

the Samsung pre-installed SSD located on the lower right corner (next to the trackpad), while the open PCIe is located on the upper right corner (near the hinge).

You will need a screw to hold the newly inserted SSD in place. I had trouble finding one that fits, so I "borrwed" one of the screws from underneath the keyboard.

After inserting the SSD, power up the laptop and make sure everything works properly and the new hardware is recognized, if so, power down the machine and continue assembling the device:

* snap the bezel back (be mindful of the trackpad cable, it tends to get in the way)

* screw the bezel from the top (5 screws (4 if you borrowed one like I did))

* screw the bezel from the bottom (10 screws)

* reconnect the keyboard

* snap the keyboard back (it is better to replace the two-sided tape if possible)

Voila, it is done.

netscorer
Token Ring
Views: 13,754
Message 26 of 47

thanks - pretty good instructions. Could you link to the tape that should be used to reattach the keyboard to the bezel? And I've read that screws that keep bezel attached to the motherboard are one-time use only and should be replaced every time laptop is serviced. Is there any trooth to it?

ppc_zouz
Paper Tape
Views: 13,732
Message 27 of 47

I had the tape for a while, I do not recall where I got it from.

But you could use something like this:Double sided tape

Do not use the thick mounting tape (foam/gel-clear) as it would be too thick. The original tape would still work, it only needs a little bit of reinforcement.

As for the screws, they are just regular reusable screws (if you're careful enough not to over-torque them).

I took the device apart twice and it still holds as it was from day one.

You'll need a Trox T-6 for the bottom screws, and a Philips P-00 for the top screws.

And don't forget the "plastic" prying tool.

Good luck. 

morninghes
Paper Tape
Views: 13,674
Message 28 of 47

Will the 256 version come out with all that space in one ssd slot? Does that mean you could potentially have a 512gb yoga?! ^^

tristech
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,459
Message 29 of 47

yes you could upgrade an existing 128gb yoga to 512 using two 256gb drives

has anyone experimented with adding insulation or a spacer of some kind to prevent fan noise heard mostly when changing the devices viewing orientation/mode?

im about to crack my $999 bestbuy version open when my 1600mhz 8gb ram and second msata ssd arrive monday

rkurata
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,116
Message 30 of 47

I added a 256GB in the second mSATA slot for a total of 384GB. I would imagine you could replace the original with another 256GB as well to make 512GB.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors