Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 13,779
Message 11 of 47

Re: Yoga 13 mSata storage limit?

The SSD, mSATA, RAM on the Yoga are considered to be non-servicable by the end users, so removing/upgrading them will void your warranty.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Iguana
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,745
Message 12 of 47

So technically we cant upgrade the RAM or add a 2nd SSD without voiding the warranty? ugh...
Yargnit
Token Ring
Views: 13,738
Message 13 of 47

I know someone else stated that they didn't encounter any warrenty voiding stickers during the procress of reaching the RAM or SSD to upgrade it. But of course that is nothing official.

Rmat
Paper Tape
Views: 13,715
Message 14 of 47

I heard Lenovo mSATA interface is a Sata 2 interface, can anybody from Lenovo confirm that?  this limits by half the speed of current Sata 3 ssds...

Former Employee
Views: 13,650
Message 15 of 47

Hi Rmat,

Could you post the read/write speed of your SSD?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to get BIOS version: Windows key + R --> cmd --> wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion
ppc_zouz
Paper Tape
Views: 12,746
Message 16 of 47

Hi.

I had a 128GB OCZ Nocti mSata sitting in my drawer, so, learning that there is an empty PCIe slot, I installed it.

Opening the case was simple enough, as was installing the drive.

All worked well except for one major annoyance: the Yoga now takes over 2 minutes to shut down or sleep! It is driving me crazy.

I tried refreshing and resetting Windows. I fiddeled with the BIOS and power managment, but came up empty.

Any ideas?

Regards

fharrington
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,698
Message 17 of 47

My friend just installed a 256gb(240) mSata drive from crucial in his second mSata slot and 8gb ram also from Crucial. Both are compatible and work great. To the previous poster having trouble with the mSata drive? Did you replace the drive that came with the laptop or simply add the new drive to the second slot? I wouldn't think using it as a storage drive would affect OS functions like sleep...

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 12,678
Message 18 of 47

@Iguana wrote:
So technically we cant upgrade the RAM or add a 2nd SSD without voiding the warranty? ugh...

That will not void your warranty.  If you break a bunch of stuff during the upgrade, your warranty may not cover that, but you're not going to void your warranty entirely.

Also, someone else asked for confirmation: the SATA port is 3Gb/s.

--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
ppc_zouz
Paper Tape
Views: 12,548
Message 19 of 47

I have added the OCZ in the empty slot in addition to the Samsung SSD pre-bundled with the system.

I got real sick of the wait last night, so I decided to remove the SSD. So I took the machine apart again, and just before I yank out the SSD, I gave it a try. And what do you know, all works nicely.

So instead, I kept it, and re-assembled the machine. All hummed beautifully. until a few hours later, when the problem re-manifested itself.

Is it something in the hardware? could it be something that is dislocated and/or loose?

All I know is that I'm going crazy over this.

ppc_zouz
Paper Tape
Views: 12,541
Message 20 of 47

I figured it out!

(I can't believe I had to re-install Windows twice and dissamble the machine for this!)

The problem is that I have an "empty" micro-SD to SD card adaptor in the card reader slot. When I remove it, everything works nicely, when I insert it with a Micro-SD card, all works nicely, when I insert it alone, the system becomes sluggish and sleep/shutdown takes over 2 minutes.

The adaptor is Genuine Samsung and had never had any troubles with it before. It is weird.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors