Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

12-07-2012

USA

78 Signins

365 Page Views

• Views: 365
  • Message 11 of 24

Re: Yoga 13" Clementine Orange - Mini review

2012-12-20, 4:01 AM

wrote:

I'm still debating on whether to return it or not by the way.  I'm trying to train myself not to hear it, and that's going well so far.  I'm going to keep this one until further into my return window and see how it goes.  I think it is a shame that it has this issue for me because it is perfect in every other way.  Companies need to stop cutting corners.

I've owned other laptops with coil whine before but for some reason the whine on my unit was excessively loud to the point where I can hear it over the music I was playing over the background. I might be one of the luck (unlucky) few that can hear it and it was giving me a headache. I can't imagine the coil component will be that expensive especially when these companies are ordering their components at such high volume.

Options

22 Posts

12-07-2012

USA

78 Signins

365 Page Views

• Message 12 of 24

2012-12-20, 4:09 AM

wrote:

Coil whine does not happen so often, I have been to four different bestbuy in my search for an orange colored yoga and havn't seen one with coin whine.

vvdd: I will probably order online as the bestbuy store I went to only have grey silver ones.

Actually coil whine does happen pretty often. I had a few PSUs (from corsair, manufactured by seasonic) that had it. I also had a Radeon 6970 video card that had coil whine. My old 2005 Macbook Pro and 2011 Macbook Pro had coil whine as well. With that being said, the coil whine I experienced with other products were really faint. You wont be able to hear it unless you smash your ears righ up against the unit. With the Yoga, this was audible to me 3 feet away. At normal distance from the Yoga, the sound was unbearable to me.

You might be the lucky ones that can't hear it (the ability to hear certain frequencies decreases with age).

I too lurked at my local BB to test the yoga before ordering one from lenovo. The one at BB was a silver and I did not notice any coil whine probrably due to the fact BB, being a store, has quite a bit of noise in the background.

Options

41 Posts

12-17-2012

Minnesota

160 Signins

665 Page Views

• Views: 665
  • Message 13 of 24

2012-12-20, 7:42 AM

Yeah.  There's no way you'd hear it in the store, but I have a feeling all of the Yogas have it.  I don't see how it would be possible they don't.  I saw stories of people exchanging them over and over and over again at BB and all of them had it.

Options

137 Posts

12-08-2012

hawaii

852 Signins

3449 Page Views

• Views: 3449
  • Message 14 of 24

2012-12-20, 9:20 AM
I left off with a new screen problem, but thought i would mention todays performance was impeccible. Maybe early win8 firmware is as delicate as in android, so that pseudo hardware problems come and go with slight config changes? Anyway wifi, keyboard, i7 and tabscreen is now blazing ahead in the spirit of it's burnt orange color.
Options

22 Posts

12-07-2012

USA

78 Signins

365 Page Views

• Message 15 of 24

2012-12-20, 9:30 AM

wrote:
I left off with a new screen problem, but thought i would mention todays performance was impeccible. Maybe early win8 firmware is as delicate as in android, so that pseudo hardware problems come and go with slight config changes? Anyway wifi, keyboard, i7 and tabscreen is now blazing ahead in the spirit of it's burnt orange color.

What new screen problem are you getting?

I agree the performance of Yoga is really good out of the box and no tweaking required. I applaud Lenovo for putting a samsung ssd in there as a quality ssd is a big contributing factor.

Options

137 Posts

12-08-2012

hawaii

852 Signins

3449 Page Views

• Message 16 of 24

2012-12-20, 9:57 AM
Yesterday i had alarming screen blackouts or colorful snowstorm displays every few mnutes, which were only solved by reboots. I guess i had just sucked in a bunch of ms win8 updates.. maybe they take a while to accommodate to everything? No problems today. I moderate an android forum where we find sometimes you have to reboot 3 times after a big update to stabilize, but didn't expect that here. Next i will register with lenovo, where i expect they will offer more updates to wrestle with.
Options

11 Posts

12-14-2012

United States

9 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 17 of 24

2012-12-20, 18:36 PM

I posted this question on another thread but haven't come up with any answers.

I ordered the same spec'd clementine Yoga as the OP did.

Just wondering if you ran the hotfix for the partitioning issue on your Yoga?  I'm trying to find out if it'll work on the 256GB Yoga versions.  I saw one poster who said it did not.

Options

22 Posts

12-07-2012

USA

78 Signins

365 Page Views

• Message 18 of 24

2012-12-20, 18:55 PM

wrote:

I posted this question on another thread but haven't come up with any answers.

I ordered the same spec'd clementine Yoga as the OP did.

Just wondering if you ran the hotfix for the partitioning issue on your Yoga?  I'm trying to find out if it'll work on the 256GB Yoga versions.  I saw one poster who said it did not.

I didn't run the hotfix because when I loaded up file explorer, I saw my C drive was ~188 gigs free and D drive (that holds the lenovo utilities and drivers) was ~40 gigs. Seeing how a formated 256gb drive is about 238gb and adding the capacity of both partitions was 'close enough' to a single drive, I figured I didn't need to apply the hotfix.

Although, I do find the ~40gig partition to be a little excessive for a small amount of files. 

Options

137 Posts

12-08-2012

hawaii

852 Signins

3449 Page Views

• Message 19 of 24

2012-12-21, 0:21 AM
Did you misread that number... my d drive is only 4gb and i would love it to be 40. My c is about the same as you listed, both free and used. I think the hotfix may mangle a really clever config for recovering software without clobbering data. Now it is reserving space for worst case amount of installed software, so maybe i will want to run the hotfix later when not expecting to add more software, but i want a large safe d!

By the way, the poster who reported hotfix not working on 256gb may have had the issue of running it from wrong directory that was mentioned a few posts earlier. Speaking of software updates, i checked latest driver updates on yoga page, and i have even more recent version than their latest!
Options

229 Posts

10-08-2012

md, us

501 Signins

5976 Page Views

• Views: 5976
  • Message 20 of 24

2012-12-21, 2:29 AM

wrote:

Yeah.  There's no way you'd hear it in the store, but I have a feeling all of the Yogas have it.  I don't see how it would be possible they don't.  I saw stories of people exchanging them over and over and over again at BB and all of them had it.

The bb stores that I went to were often very quiet. There days there are often more sales people than customers.

I certainly do not care if the "whine" is lower than the background noice or I "am too old to hear it".

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms