Options

4 Posts

11-07-2012

USA

14 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 1 of 6

Yoga 13 touchpad becomes poorly responsive when the device is plugged in for charging

2012-11-07, 6:14 AM

Has anyone noticed the problem on Yoga 13? Once I plug in the device to the power adapter, the trackpad becomes less responsive. The problem is most noticeable during the one-finger tracking (for moving the mouse cursor around the screen). The cursor movement becomes jumpy, choppy, and laggy. It becomes simply uncomfortable and unpleasant to use. Interestingly, the problem immediately disappears once it is unplugged from the power adapter. I am trying to determine whether the issue is specific to this device or not.

Edit: I noticed that the problem disappears if I place the computer on my lap. The problem comes back if I place it on my wooden desk, floor, or carpet (likely any surface that does not provide grounding for electricity). I verified that the problem is also reproduced when a different power adapter (for Yoga) is used. I am thinking of getting an exchange.

Options

1 Posts

11-08-2012

United States

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 13 touchpad becomes poorly responsive when the device is plugged in for charging

2012-11-08, 5:53 AM

I'm having the exact same problem!! It is really annoying. How did you fix it?

Options

4 Posts

11-07-2012

USA

14 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 3 of 6

Re: Yoga 13 touchpad becomes poorly responsive when the device is plugged in for charging

2012-11-08, 7:02 AM
Unfortunately, I still see the problem on my device. The problem came back as soon as I placed the computer on my desk. The problem didn't occur while it was sitting on my lap.

So I finally figured out that the problem occurs when the computer is (1) plugged to the power adapter and (2) placed on the wooden desk, floor, or carpet (likely any surface that does not provide grounding for electricity).

This might look like a problem with the power adapter, but it is less likely the case because I was able to reproduce the problem using a power adapter of Yoga display unit at BestBuy. I also verified that the problem is not reproduced on the display unit when it is plugged.

I am thinking of getting an exchange since it appears that some unit does not have this annoying issue.
Options

1 Posts

11-22-2012

United States

2 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 4 of 6

2012-11-22, 20:09 PM

I’ve been having trouble with the touchpad skipping around too, but couldn’t reproduce the problem consistently.  Now I realize the behavior on mine is the same as this first post.  On my lap or in my hand, it works alright.  On a desk (i.e., a non-grounded surface), it’s pretty much unusable.  I thought it was just the driver, but the latest driver (dated 11/15/2012) does not fix it either.

This seems eerily familiar to an issue Dell had with touchpads back 8 to 10 years ago.  As I recall, static was building up and causing the behavior.  They eventually switched to grounded, 3-prong power adaptors.  So when I opened then Yoga’s box and saw the power adaptor, it immediately took me back to all the issues we used to have with the Dell’s.  I just assumed they found a way around the issue, but now I’m not so sure.  I’m also a little concerned that this is really a hardware problem, and something as simple as a software update isn’t going to fix it.

Options

229 Posts

10-08-2012

md, us

501 Signins

5976 Page Views

• Views: 5976
  • Message 5 of 6

2012-11-23, 0:44 AM

Try the new touchpad driver.

Options

1 Posts

01-10-2013

Luxembourg

1 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 6 of 6

2013-01-10, 16:26 PM

I have the same exact problem, except this opposite way.

Whenever the laptop is unplugged the the mouse lags. If I move the pointer fast enough I can even see the "loading"-sign next to the pointer! It´s like all of a sudden the laptop would not even have enough computing power in order to calculate where the pointer is supposed to be.

If I can not get this resolved by tomorrow I am returning the PC...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete