cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mschubb
Serial Port
Views: 429
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 13 w/ 8Gb ram & SSD -- Help w/ fresh install of WIN 10?

My daughter let our dear friend Microsoft Windows auto-update her old Yoga 13 to Windows 10.  (Yoga is an early model 2191 w/ i5-3317U.)    The machine has been slow as molasses ever since -- basically unusuable-- so now she's using a different laptop.   My usual tricks (disk cleaning, CCleaner, etc.)  did not help. 

Would like to start fresh with an SSD reformat and clean install of Windows 10.  (I have a separate version of Win 10 Pro I can use that was bought for a future DIY build.)  But I am very hesitant to reformat and try a fresh USB stick install without advice from someone who has done it on this proprietary type of machine.

Any advice?  Suggested workflow to avoid problems?  Will a clean install -- followed by a round of lenovo driver updates -- actually work?   Or will this be opening up an ugly can of worms....?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 424
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 13 w/ 8Gb ram & SSD -- Help w/ fresh install of WIN 10?

If you installed the free update, a fresh install will work

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 384
Message 3 of 4

FWIW I had a similar experience with an older machine running an in-place upgrade to Win 10.

Performance wasn't satisfactory.  It was much better after a Win 10 clean install.

That's only one case - a U 260 - so it doesn't gurarantee anything about your particular machine.

If you've previously updated to Win 10 the activation status is stored on Microsoft's servers and a clan install of the same version should activate automatically.

You can download the latest rev of Win 10 here: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

mschubb
Serial Port
Views: 363
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for both your responses!   From what you're saying, I won't need my other Win10 license... I can reformat the harddrive and Windows registration/validation will just recognize that previously validated machine as licensed.  Do I have that right??  

My other main question is will the Yoga 13 operate at least well enough on that generic Windows install that I will be able to then install the various Lenovo drivers?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors