Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

36 Posts

12-22-2012

Boston, USA

191 Signins

669 Page Views

• Views: 669
  • Message 91 of 184

Re: Yoga 13 wifi is extremely poor

2013-02-06, 17:35 PM

=====================================================

N O T   A   S O L U T I O N ! ! !

Somebody already posted that suggestion in a separate thread (do a search for selective suspend). This does little to fix buffering issues. Search back through this thread and read my posts about ping not failing yet data intensive packets failing to go through.

It is entirely possible that you upgraded your router to one with a higher transmit power. If you did, then congratulations, you probably "solved" the problem because on a very strong wifi connection there are no buffer issues because the wifi buffer is barely used.

But, the second you go on vacation and try to use hotel wifi or airport wifi, you may find yourself in the same situation as those of us who can't continuously stream video or use remote desktop without getting kicked off every 3 minutes. If you are outside of your house, you can't ask the starbucks manager if he would mind upgrading his router so that your Yoga will work as well as everybody else in the shop with their iPads and lattes. If all you are doing is surfing the web, you may be fine - but you might as well buy a Yoga 11 or the Surface RT... or heaven forbid... an iPad.

Selective suspend will prevent your wifi device from sleeping and getting stuck with a full buffer by the time it needs to wake up. If you are browsing the web and the wifi suspends, this would give you a similar experience to a streaming activity on an unsuspended wifi connection (assuming no other fixes).

And nothing compensates for the boneheaded decision to put the wifi antennas solely in the keyboard of the device where contact with your lap/table/hands will attenuate the signal faster than if they put two sets of antennas in the keyboard and screen and selectively switched between them based on orientation! That is a hardware flaw that will not be fixed by drivers or === solution!!! === posts to the forum by people randomly changing settings and routers until something sticks. However, I'd be willing to overlook that if somebody could find a workaround for the buffer issues that actually works.

I wasted several hours trying to pin down what the root of the problem was and posted all of my findings on this forum. Yet since I did that, I haven't seen a post from anyone at Lenovo offering a suggestion for how you deal with the combination.

N O T   A   S O L U T I O N ! ! !

Options

35 Posts

11-26-2012

Pennsylvania

48 Signins

276 Page Views

• Views: 276
  • Message 92 of 184

2013-02-06, 17:49 PM

I agree with calebu2, I've replaced my router and while it's better, it isn't great. Based on my wife sitting next to me with her Lenovo G70 happily clicking away at 150Mbps, while I fluctuate between 30-90Mbps (with drops on the lower end), it's clearly not right.

I actually bought a small TP-Link TL-WN823N USB adapter as a workaround. It works great and gets up to 300Mbps. It uses the same manufacturer as the Ideapad Yoga 13 (Realtek) and I do see the speed fluctuate down, but I have to get all the way to the far corner of the house.

I'm really hoping the next driver fixes this issue.

Options

14 Posts

01-23-2013

Colombia

129 Signins

714 Page Views

• Views: 714
  • Message 93 of 184

2013-02-06, 20:39 PM

I agree with "NOT BEING A SOLUTION". I disabled the selective suspend some weeks ago, and my wifi connection improved, and a lot!  but still doesn't compare to my previous Macbook. Im fine with this settings but im not fine considering the fact that this Lenovo was supposed to be the best so far. I bought this super Lenovo to be ahead in every aspect.

Still love my Lenovo, but im waiting for a fix!

Options

39 Posts

02-02-2013

United States of America

102 Signins

870 Page Views

• Views: 870
  • Message 94 of 184

2013-02-06, 21:38 PM

If you use your Yoga only to surf the web and access e-mail, a low link speed to your router and lack of 5GHz capability may not be an issue. But if you need to access files on a network, the speeds that are being reported here are a major hindrance. With a Sony VAIO Z (2010) the link speed to my router is 150 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band and 300 Mbps on the 5 GHz band.

Options

11 Posts

01-16-2013

Spain

29 Signins

107 Page Views

• Views: 107
  • Message 95 of 184

2013-02-06, 22:45 PM

Support local team told me two weeks ago that they 'd contact me providing more details for this issue but I'm still waiting. ?

Maybe there is no software solution for this so in this case we should buy a computer only for working with remote connections.

cheers

Options

103 Posts

11-17-2012

USA

271 Signins

1478 Page Views

• Views: 1478
  • Message 96 of 184

2013-02-07, 0:27 AM

A Lenovo Rep needs to make another statement as this is getting ridiculous!! My return period has come and gone, because I was stupid enough to listen to Lenovo that they were working on the issue. Where are they now?? 

Options

5 Posts

12-22-2012

Tennesee

11 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 97 of 184

2013-02-07, 4:15 AM

I returned mine back to Best Buy the other day. Sad day as this is my favorite PC on the market, even beats the Surface Pro for me but bad WiFi is a non starter so I will be going with the Surface Pro, sorry Lenovo I really wanted this to be my machine.

Options

4 Posts

01-21-2013

Washington DC

4 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 98 of 184

2013-02-08, 16:21 PM

I have a Linksys router in my apartment (not sure of the model, sorry) and the wifi/VPN issue is extremely prominent there. But I'm currently on a Netgear router (N600 Wireless Dual Band Router) at my friend's place and the VPN is working like a charm.

Anyone else have this happen? Can we blame the router type at least partly?

Options

36 Posts

12-22-2012

Boston, USA

191 Signins

669 Page Views

• Views: 669
  • Message 99 of 184

2013-02-08, 19:23 PM

Interesting finding... still not a "good" solution.

I have been able to get past some of the issues with wifi streaming drops by running internet explorer in XP mode (had to do a hack to get XP mode on Windows 8).

While Citrix and RDP aren't the only place I experience dropped connections, it is certainly the most consistent and easy to reproduce. Running remote desktop on the virtual machine within XP mode results in no drops in connection.

This remains consistent regardless of orientation, distance from router and any of the driver settings that are claimed to be a magic fix.

Unfortunately, I'm taking a 2012 machine and making it run a 12 year old operating system for the sake of stability.

So, something is going on with the windows 8 network drivers that is causing problems when streaming programs interface directly with them. If I understand correctly, the virtual XP machine transforms the data slightly before passing it along to the network drivers, so once tranformed, it seems to pass through without issue.

This at least gives me hope of a full solution. I was starting to get worried becuase I just played with the Surface Pro and it's not what I was hoping it would be.

Unfortunately the current Yoga, which I had every intention of returning to Best Buy has a loose touchpad and a loose connection on the SSD. So I'll still need to replace it and hopefully get one that is built to the quality of my original Yoga (which other than the wifi issue was solid).

Anyone got any thoughts on what might cause XP mode to work and Win8 to stall?

Options

22 Posts

12-15-2012

Philadelphia

166 Signins

606 Page Views

• Views: 606
  • Message 100 of 184

2013-02-09, 16:32 PM

I have a dual band D-Link DIR-825 wireless router.  I am very satisfied with the wifi performance on my Yoga.  It is very stable and has better range than my iPad 3 and Nexus 7. 

However, when I need to transfer a large amount of data on my home network, or download a large program over the WAN, I hook up a USB 3.0 to Gigabit adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Indicator-Warranty/dp/B00A0ABQLM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360426551&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+to+ethernet+gigabit).  This thing works great.  When I start the Yoga, about 5 seconds into the boot the USB 3.0 interface is activated and at the home screen it is ready to go.  I plug/unplug this adapter multiple times a day, and the Yoga/Win 8 immediately switches between wifi and wire with no issue.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms