Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

137 Posts

12-08-2012

hawaii

852 Signins

3449 Page Views

• Views: 3449
  • Message 161 of 184

Re: Yoga 13 wifi is extremely poor

2013-03-19, 10:42 AM

Oh, so are you folks with wifi troubles on those superfast networks?

I haven't had notable trouble with 2 yoga13's on the slowest dsl speed. I pay for capacity for up to 15mbps, but there is some local pipe shortage restricting me to up to 7mbps advertised. In tests I get almost exactly 6.57 under all conditions (hardwired or wifi) on all devices (yoga, macbook, android tablet). This is amazing good news to me since my router, wifi broadcaster, and it's nonupdateable firmware are about 10 years old.

As for yoga bars, I almost always get full bars around the house. With a windows update I got intermittant problems which went away when I flipped the switch to not wait for the router id to be broadcast, but just hook up to it automatically. More recently I sometimes find a couple bars missing on the desktop bar, but they come back as soon as I bring up the win8 bar display on the right hand side. I wonder if the desktop lower bar isn't updated that often, and shows fewer bars due to windows housekeeping on startup... that is you really have full bars, but the symbol didn't update.

Options

39 Posts

02-02-2013

United States of America

102 Signins

870 Page Views

• Views: 870
  • Message 162 of 184

2013-03-19, 11:07 AM

I commiserate with all who are facing Wi-Fi connectivity problems with new Yoga 13 ultrabooks and are ignored by Lenovo. Fortunately, I saw this thread and was able to cancel my order. I suggest that you write to the editors of technology publications and send them a link to this thread. Only by getting their attention can you hope to get Lenovo's attention.

Options

1 Posts

03-19-2013

5 Signins

23 Page Views

• Message 163 of 184

2013-03-19, 17:24 PM

Just thought I would add my experience here.  I have a Mfg date of 13/01/10 bought at Best Buy Canada with a 1.7 ghz processor and a Realtek RTL8723A wireless card.  I have not experienced the connectivity drops and the signal strength seems OK but the speed is quite bad.  Windows reports a 72 Mbps connection and I can transfer files to a NAS at about 5 MB/s.

I tested a Belkin N300 usb stick and Windows is reporting a 150 Mbps connection but I'm still only getting a 5 MB/s transfer rate. 

Not sure what's going here to be honest.

Options

2 Posts

03-27-2013

Los Angeles

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 164 of 184

2013-03-27, 15:59 PM
Hi guys,

I was very concerned after reading this forum before buying a Yoga 13. So I wanted to paste my conversation with a Lenovo rep which at the time was very reassuring but I now realize the issue may not have been resolved.  I'm curious what you guys think...

Me:  Among connectivity issues, the Wifi turns off during sleep mode and does not turn back on.

Rep:  Oh! the old Wi-Fi issue, that has been resolved on all the present models. Yes that is fixed Matt.
There is no issue now.

Me:  I hope you understand that before paying about $1500, it would be helpful to see this issue addressed by Lenovo... is there a link by any chance for this?

Rep:  Yes I understand that, this has been informed by our tech support team that it has been fixed however not yet available on the website, you can keep the copy of this chat for furthur reference.
Options

11 Posts

12-23-2012

Canada

65 Signins

335 Page Views

• Views: 335
  • Message 165 of 184

2013-03-28, 23:51 PM
Someone mentioned changing the power settings to "performance" as opposed to balanced or power saver...made a huge difference in my WIFI connectivity..at the expense of a slightly shorter battery life.
Options

36 Posts

12-22-2012

Boston, USA

191 Signins

669 Page Views

• Views: 669
  • Message 166 of 184

2013-03-31, 3:15 AM

Been a few weeks since I bothered to visit the site.

Do we have any updates on the wifi issues? I haven't seen any new drivers, posts by moderators, engineers or anybody on the topic.

I still like the Yoga form factor, but am disappointed that no progress has been made with the wifi issues. What does it take to get Lenovo to make a statement about where they are at with the fixes?

Options

1 Posts

03-31-2013

Boston

10 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 167 of 184

2013-03-31, 4:01 AM
I have just purchased the yoga 13 i7 directly from lenovo with a manufacturer date of 2/23/13. The wifi doesn't work at all for me. I tried connecting to my router (all my 5 other devices all connect fine) to but it won't connect. It sees all the networks and I have a full signal but it says it can't connect. I took it to Starbucks and same thing, full signal but won't connect. After a week of trying to figure out the problem I call support and they said my wireless card is faulty and I need to send it back. Really? I spent how much and they can't get this wifi problem fixed over 6 months later. I am so disappointed and after reading about everyone's else wifi problems, I don't think I even want another one. Too bad I really like the look and feel of it but no Internet in 2013 absolutely unacceptable! I normally don't post stuff but wanted you all to know the wifi problems are still happening even with the latest models.
Options

25 Posts

03-11-2013

Puerto Rico

60 Signins

374 Page Views

• Views: 374
  • Message 168 of 184

2013-04-01, 7:18 AM
Instead of whining, check that your network isnt WPA-TKIP, and set it to WPA2-AES or TKIP.
Options

36 Posts

12-22-2012

Boston, USA

191 Signins

669 Page Views

• Views: 669
  • Message 169 of 184

2013-04-01, 14:11 PM

wrote:
Instead of whining, check that your network isnt WPA-TKIP, and set it to WPA2-AES or TKIP.

Thanks for the insight.

It might be worth coming up with a list of possible remedies that people can try, as your suggestion has been made in the past and people have posted as long ago as November that their device doesn't work properly with WPA2.

You might also suggest that people try:

* Buy a different brand router because Cisco / Netgear / Verizon-branded routers may have issues.

* Change the settings for the wireless device to disable sleep, etc

* Disable everything on your router except Wireless-G.

* Disable everything on your router except Wireless-N.

* Install a different driver for the wifi card.

* Disable bluetooth.

* Update the bluetooth driver.

* Use an external wifi adapter to rule out a router problem.

* Install windows XP in a virtual machine on it. Note that this actually works (If you don't mind using windows XP!)

* Only use Java-based applications for network traffic.

* Try using your device at a hotel to see if their router works (And if they have WPA-TKIP, complain at them for using a dated protocol and demand that they fix it. Ignore the fact that everybody else in the hotel is happily using their laptops).

* Grow your fingernails long so that your hands and palms do not rest on the keyboard, attenuating the antenna reception.

* Only use your laptop on a thin table made of a non metallic, light density material. Never try to use your laptop on your lap...top.

* Sit next to the router (If all else fails, get a USB ethernet adapter).

* Wait patiently for Lenovo to provide an alternative suggestion (note that almost all of the above have been suggested by people randomly trying stuff and just hoping it works).

* Return to store and get a new Yoga

* Return to store and get a Carbon X1.

* Return to store and get an Apple.

That's a start. Anyone else want to list the random things they've tried that or have been suggested on this board so that we have it all in one place?

Options

17 Posts

03-27-2013

United States

13 Signins

201 Page Views

• Views: 201
  • Message 170 of 184

2013-04-01, 15:46 PM
Just thought I'd add my feedback. I have a 1 week old i5 Yoga 13. My WiFi experience has been that it connects to my home network fine, but it is slower compared to my 2003 Gateway M6811 laptop. Both of them side by side, the Gateway connects and runs at 52-54 Mbits while the Yoga is consistently 48 Mbits. Not largely noticeable but different nonetheless.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms