Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

229 Posts

10-08-2012

md, us

501 Signins

5976 Page Views

• Views: 5976
  • Message 31 of 184

Re: Yoga 13 wifi is extremely poor

2013-01-12, 0:11 AM

that sounds like a big jump of faith. Obviously there are many units with wireless problems, but there are others with no problems or have it fixed by reversing to an earlier version of driver.

see the last post in this thread

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-IdeaTab-Slate-Tablets/yoga-13-wifi-issues/td-p/914595/page/11

Options

36 Posts

12-22-2012

Boston, USA

191 Signins

669 Page Views

• Views: 669
  • Message 32 of 184

2013-01-12, 2:51 AM

Nope. The latest drivers do not work. I've downloaded 1.00.0193 from the Lenovo.com website, I've used windows update. They make no difference. And guess what - neither does returning your Yoga to Best Buy and getting a new one!

We're not talking about a connection that doesn't happen. We're talking about a connection that can be dropped by moving the laptop from the sofa to your knees... while the router is on the other side of a wooden door. This wifi card has issues.

But, I think I just bought myself another 30 days return grace period at Best Buy. So unless they figures out a magical software solution that allows a wifi adapter to compensate and adapt to the poor positioning of its antenna (What is this? Terminator? Circuit damaged... rerouting to alternate power source....) the Surface Pro will be out and its a no brainer once that's out. Only thing the Yoga has going then is the form factor, but I'll take function over form factor any day!

Options

7 Posts

12-21-2012

seattle

12 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 33 of 184

2013-01-13, 7:58 AM

Mine isn't as bad as yours by a long shot. It just has less wifi range than all of my other devices. I use it as a secondary machine (a comic book reader with the big screen), so it's limited wifi (I'd say 80% of my other devices) isn't too bad. I'm still thinking about taking it back, as my X220 has a MUCH BETTER keyboard than the Yoga 13, and I've got my eye on the new Lenovo LT1423p screen for my comic reading.

Options

414 Posts

11-28-2011

Russia

518 Signins

2496 Page Views

• Views: 2496
  • Message 34 of 184

2013-01-13, 23:14 PM

I don't have a solution, but thought I'd add my two cents.  I believe, like others have pointed out, that the dropped connect is due to the selective suspend.  However, the root can be found in the Windows Power Management features.

What caught my eye is that the WIFI card runs through the USB Bus.  IF disabling selective suspend in the advanced WIFI settings doesn't work, got into the advanced power management and set the USB to NOT suspend.

Windows disables the USB Bus when not is use to cut down on power consumption.  Since most WIFI cards run through the internal PCI-E Bus, it's not generally a problem.

Options

2651 Posts

03-21-2012

Malaysia

2405 Signins

55976 Page Views

• Views: 55976
  • Message 35 of 184

2013-01-14, 3:34 AM

Hi all,

thanks for posting And welcome to the community. On behalf of Lenovo, I do appologize for the the delay in response. Wour Mods, Gurus and Staff and partners do Try our best to response in a timely manor however there times where case could have been overlook . 

However after reading this thread, I'd like to get the teams involved to take a look at this issue deeper for all. I too have a Yoga 13 and I must admit that I've not faced what you have. This is  probabaly due to my router being connected to a G rather than N. But I have yet to test this out.

But just to be sure I reading this correctly, I believe that most of you facing this issue are connecting to the N network, correct? Prior to doing any updates (Lenovo or Microsoft), was wireless acting up as well or did some face this issue straigt out of the Box? Another thing I equire calrification is that does this happen when connected to AC or without the AC.

Sorry for the list of questions, just wanted to be sure I got the issue correctly.

Do let me know.

Regards 

Options

103 Posts

11-17-2012

USA

271 Signins

1478 Page Views

• Views: 1478
  • Message 36 of 184

2013-01-15, 3:26 AM

Nine - Thank you for getting back to us. It seems that most users had the issue after they ran the Windows Updates, and most of the users are also using a Netgear WNDR3700 and it seems that the firmware on the router doesn't make a difference.

As far as power goes it does happen when the laptop is running on battery as that's how I try to run mine, but I believe it also happens when plugged in. Maybe some other users could jump in and comment on this as well.

The Wifi problem that I have is that the signal is very inconsistent and at sometimes even disconnects all together. I have 25Mbps down and all other wireless devices have no issues in my house.

I also contacted a Lenovo Rep that asked for help on this forum over a month ago and never heard anything back.

Options

2651 Posts

03-21-2012

Malaysia

2405 Signins

55976 Page Views

• Views: 55976
  • Message 37 of 184

2013-01-15, 6:34 AM

Hi all 

Thanks for adding a reply. At this point we do have a case already escalated and our techs are looking into the this matter. What I have been informed that they are in the final testing phase of the analysis and just needed to confirm the solution they have really works out.

In the mean time please do bare with me and as soon as I can get an update I'll be sure to post more.

Regards

Options

40 Posts

01-15-2013

Washington, DC

87 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 38 of 184

2013-01-15, 13:58 PM

Hi NINE,

Thanks for your response regarding the team being in the final testing phase and waiting to confirm the solution they have really works out.  That's the type of communication we appreciate hearing.  It allows us to hold out and helps us understand that there MAY be a potential fix coming and, if not, we know the team has worked on it.

I would appreciate the same diligence being put forth toward the fact that the fans are always running on the machine.  Fans shouldn't be running constantly on a laptop, particularly if the laptop is cool to the touch and not under CPU load.  That's a firmware or driver problem that needs to be addressed as well.  Thanks.

Options

1 Posts

01-15-2013

UAE

2 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 39 of 184

2013-01-15, 19:23 PM

Nine,

I have a particular variation on the wifi problem.  I don't know if it is a totally separate issue, or a related symptom of whatever is causing all these other issues.

In one particular café that I use most days, they change the wifi access key daily.  After the first day when I logged on, the system fails to log on to the router here, and it does not offer me the opportunity to input a correct key.  My android phone has no such issue and just asks me for the correct key.

Other wifi connections that do not change their key reconnect no problem, and I can see other signals, which ask me the key when I try and connect, it is just this one place causing the problem.  If looks to my untrained eye that it is trying to connect, fails the key validation, and then just tells pops out an error message, rather than asking me to re-input the key.  As though it assumes the key must be correct because it worked the previously.

Have tried with auto connect ticked and unticked but it makes no difference

Hope someone can give me some insight

I don't know what

Options

1 Posts

01-15-2013

USA

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 40 of 184

2013-01-15, 19:34 PM
I'm having the same problems. Interestingly, I can connect to one Access Point that is unsecured, but when I try and connect to my company's domain access point, it fails to connect 95% of the time. The signal strength is only 4 bars, and I have a line of sight to the access point about 20 feet away. This is pretty big failure, hopefully someone gets terminated on the design or Q&A team, as I've personally invested 4+ hours installing and tweaking drivers/features on this Yoga 13, my network admin has also invested over an hour. Out of the box this device couldn't connect, but as I was installing Windows 8 Enterprise, I figured that maybe(?) it would be resolved with a wipe and reinstall. Nope. Nothing fixed. Sweet laptop otherwise, it's really a shame. I mean, how did the Q&A person even test network functionality? Do they test the network functionality before going into production? In any case, Lenovo has about 24 hours before this device is returned to Best Buy, and due to my waste of time, I’m going to invest another 60 minutes during a conference call and leave snarky review comments detailing my experiences at every online retailer where this laptop is sold.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms