venezuela

8 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 1 of 5

Yoga 13 with external portable hard drive

2013-05-08, 21:34 PM

Hi!

I just ordered a Yoga 13 with 128 GB storage/ 4 GB RAM/i3 processor (great deal refurbished at Lenovo outlet!).   I also ordered a powered USB 3.0 hub to expand the USB capacity.

Ultimately I will upgrade the internal memory and storage, but first I need to see if I will keep the computer, as I have read (here and elsewhere) about the ubiquitous problems with wi-fi.

I was wondering....how well would a conventional external portable hard drive, such as the 1 TB Western Digital USB 3.0 portable drive (5400 RPM- I think it is called My Passport or some such thing), work with this computer, both with and without the powered hub?  I assume it would be slower than an external SSD, but it can hold everything I have with ease including programs that do not fit on the flimsy stock internal SSD, supposedly fits in a pocket, and they sell new for only about $70.  online.     I don't do gaming and high productivity is not an issue....the most demanding thing I do is probably downloading and streaming video, and running standard programs. 

Thanks.

protagonist

Solved! See the solution
Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

PH

4456 Signins

274702 Page Views

• Views: 274702
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 13 with external portable hard drive

2013-05-09, 22:59 PM

hi protagonist,

You almost won't notice the difference if you just connect the 1TB USB 3.0 external HDD on the USB 3.0 hub, or even if

you have 3 other devices connected to it (mouse, keyboard, BT dongle) as long as there's only 1 device that's doing a read/write access. If you have an external HDD and a USB flashdrive that's simultaneously doing a read/write on the USB hub then that's when the bottleneck occurs.

Although the 1Tb 5400RPM drive is not as fast as the SSD when it comes to read and write, the price, capacity and the USB 3.0 interface makes up for it.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

137 Posts

12-08-2012

hawaii

852 Signins

3449 Page Views

• Views: 3449
  • Message 3 of 5

2013-05-09, 23:38 PM

I use that same drive fine, except in the 2tb size. I keep all my data on usb disks in triplicate, and then save money on all devices with minimal internal data options. If you are copying a hundred or so GB at once, it may go slow enough so your machine will fall asleep before finishing, so you may have to adjust the power/awakeness rules in win8.

I wouldn't leave the disk plugged in; I think it drains plenty power, and of course you should primarily use your yoga as an unplugged tablet (although the WD usb tail is long enough to plug in during tablet mode).

Options

9 Posts

05-08-2013

venezuela

8 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 4 of 5

2013-05-10, 3:32 AM

Thanks, Neokenchi and Dumbth!

One more question....

Will I notice a big difference if the drive is plugged into the USB 3.0 vs. the 2.0 port?

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

PH

4456 Signins

274702 Page Views

• Views: 274702
  • Message 5 of 5

2013-05-10, 19:41 PM

hi protagonist,

If you'll be using a USB 3.0 drive to a USB 2.0 port, the speed will degrade from SuperSpeed (4 8Gbs) to HighSpeed (480Mbs). You won't notice this difference if you'll be playing videos / music from that drive but you'll see a big difference when transferring files. 

As high quality drives performs better then cheap ones, see these benchmarks results as a reference:

Copy Benchmark Images (Read)

Copy Benchmark Images (Write)

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete