Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schlssbr
Paper Tape
Views: 427
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 15 battery will not charge

It looks like we can add the Yoga 15 to the list of badly designed Lenovo models with battery issues.  I just got my Yoga 15 on Monday, and by Thursday the battery was continually saying "plugged in not charging."  It's still running on AC power, but the battery is gradually diminishing.  I'm using Windows 10 64 and haven't installed any other power or fan management software.

I haven't seen any other mentions of Yoga 15's with this problem, so if anyone has a solution for this model, I'd be grateful.  There is no OneKey software on this machine, so the solutions offered for the Yoga 3 don't apply here.

If you're thinking of buying a Yoga 15, caveat emptor.

schlssbr
Paper Tape
Views: 398
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 15 battery will not charge

And now more fun: when I called tech support, they told me I don't have a warranty, not even the standard warranty that all Lenovo PCs ship with (I bought direct from Lenovo).

Like I said, if you're thinking about buying a Yoga 15, there might be better options out there.  Better companies ,too.

Ace01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 387
Message 3 of 6

I just noticed the same problem with my 1-week old Yoga 900. I had it plugged into an extension cable that was plugged into a power strip. I plugged directly into a wall outlet in another room and it started charging. Got rid of the old extension cord and am now using a new power strip and all is working again.  

schlssbr
Paper Tape
Views: 374
Message 4 of 6

I think I figured this one out.  When the laptop is started with a charge of over 95%, it won't charge.  When you go below 95% or so (I don't know what the exact cutoff is), it seems to charge to 100%.   But if you turn off the computer before it hits 100% and restart at, say, 96%, it doesn't charge.  I'm assuming that this is designed to prolong battery life by keeping it from overcharging, but who knows.

I need to drain/charge the battery a few more times to confirm.  I'll post again.

BTW, why isn't there someone from Lenovo on the forums responding to issues like mine?  If this is a feature and not a bug, then it should have been trivial for someone in the know to give me an answer.

Ace01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 361
Message 5 of 6

Mine will charge at 95%. My only issue has been that the Yoga charger doesn't like some of my old extension cords. 2 of my extension cords, cause it to give the not charging message. When I'm plugged in from a newer power strip that is plugged directly into the wall, I have no problem and the Yoga will start charging even if the battery was at 98%. 

The_Vicar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 261
Message 6 of 6

I've had my Yoga 15 9 months and it's started showing exactly the same symptoms as other Yoga machines. When plugged into the mains, the icon says "Plugged in, charging". Interestingly it's not all the time (as I'm writing this it's charging at 29%). I know the connector has worked a bit loose over the time I've had it and I have to wiggle it about sometimes for it to make good contact but it may just be coincidence. 

What astounds me is that firstly there are so many posts concerning this issue but no real solutions, and secondly a firm like Lenovo with a previously exemplary reputation (this is my 5th Thinkpad/Lenovo laptop) deafens us with its silence on this matter.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors