Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eldavoo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,023
Message 1 of 7

Yoga 2 11 Battery suddenly died

Hi everybody,

I have a Lenovo yoga 2 11'. Windows 10 1511. About one month ago I shutted it down, I don't remember if it was charged or not. I turned it on some days ago and seems that the battery died. What can we do?

EM is installed and says that everything is fine. The computer works fine if plugged, but if I unplug it doesn't. Windows and EM say that "battery is charging at 0%". The LED is orange and blinks.

If you need other details feel free to ask.

EDIT: Latest BIOS installed, Windows is updated, there is no "USB Always on" option in the BIOS.
Cattura.PNG

zerobattery
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,942
Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga 2 11 Battery suddenly died

[ignore this - Lenovo's forums don't seem to know the difference between preview and post]

zerobattery
Blue Screen Again
Message 3 of 7

[ignore this - Lenovo's forums don't seem to know the difference between preview and post]

zerobattery
Blue Screen Again
Message 4 of 7

Yes, I have the same problem with my Yoga 2 11. Since I purchased it new in 2014, it has had two problems:

1. The battery will die after the computer is shut down.
2. OS upgrades prevent the battery from being charged (battery is charging at 0%).

The battery not charging issue occured when upgrading from 8 to 8.1 and occurred again when upgrading from 8 to 10 and from 10 to 10 Anniversary edition.

After upgrading from 8 to 8.1, I reverted the computer to factory conditions using the built in one touch restore function. This did not correct the problem, and the battery continued to fail to charge. The computer was just inside warranty, so I sent it to Lenovo. They updated the bios, and this fixed the problem. The computer worked normally for a year (if you call being drained on shutdown normal), but when the automatic update to 10 was completed the problem resurfaced. The computer now works only with the AC charger and will not charge the battery at all.

Things I have tried to fix this problem, based on advice from these and other forums:

1. Upgrade OS to latest version (1607), including all updates. No effect.
2. Upgrade BIOS to latest version released by Lenovo. Because of the design of the Bios flash utility, it will not allow the bios to be flashed with a dead battery. This can be corrected by unpacking the utility and changing the charge amount to check in the settings ini file to 0. The flash was successful, but this had no effect.
3. Update firmware of battery. Battery firmware already latest version, so this had no effect.
4. Install/unistall/adjust the Energy Manager and Power Manager programs. No effect.
5. Disconnect battery from motherboard, startup with battery removed, uninstall battery driver, shutdown, wait, reconnect battery. No effect.
6. Boot into a Linux Mint live session from USB and check battery from there. This told me that the battery is "Charging at zero rate - will never fully charge". Whatever is happening is either to do with the motherboard or battery itself.

Edited to add the result:

7. Disable fast boot in the power options - no immediate effect, but see below.

8. Complete clean install of Windows 1607, to remove all previous settings and drivers - no immediate effect, but see below.

9. Leave on charge for 14 hours.
9. Purchase of a secondhand battery

After completing steps 7 and 8, the battery continued to not charge, but I then left it on charge overnight, and the battery was 100% charged after 8 hours. I am not able to determine whether disabling fast boot or completely wiping and re-installing Windows was the effective step, as I have left the machine on charge for extended periods before.

I also have yet to see how long the battery lasts, but at least it now works. I should also point out, for anyone else reading this in the future who is in a similar situation, that Windows 1607 includes all required drivers, and that it is not neccessary to install any software from the product download page. Indeed, it is possible that some of this software was at fault, as a complete re-install removed all of it from the machine.

I consider it completely unacceptable that the laptop battery has died so completely, just 2 years after purchase. These and other forums are full of people with the same issue with this product, but no solution is forthcoming. I will not purchase another Lenovo product and would not recommend their products to others.

eldavoo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,925
Message 5 of 7

Dear "zerobattery" (1name, 1problem lol)

The problem solved itself. I disabled windows' fast start, shutted down the pc and, after some hours, I noticed that the led was white and battery was at 99%. The battery now works normally. Try to do the same.

I also suggest you to run and post a battery report and a screenshot of NirSoft's BatteryInfoView (which includes voltage, so we can understand better the battery's status)

zerobattery
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,889
Message 6 of 7

Thanks - I have edited my original message with the result. I think reinstalling Windows and then leaving it on charge solved the problem, but it is difficult to be sure. Battery reports as follows:

battery.PNGBefore reinstall of Windowsbattery4.PNGAfter reinstall of Windows

eldavoo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,869
Message 7 of 7

We had the same voltage, so we had the same problem.
We can say that the problem is solved, and the fix is:
1)disable fast start
2)shut down the pc
3)wait.
I didn't reset Windows so I don't think it solves the problem.
When we use fast start and we shut down the pc, windows says to the bios that it's hibernating. Instead, when we reboot or don't use fast start, it says to the bios that it's shutting down. Maybe when the BIOS "hears" that windows shutted down, it does some battery reset or something like that.
I would call this "crappy BIOS" and "crappy acpi management".
Have a good day.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors