GB

13 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 1 of 3

Yoga 2 11 Battery

2019-07-31, 13:21 PM

Hi, hope somebody can help with this.

I bought a Yoga 2 11 mid 2017 so it's just about 2 years old. I bought it as a 'going away' machine so only gets used properly about 5 times per year. Very dissapointed that just after 12 months the battery started to quickly loose capacity especially as I had been using conservation mode when running on the AC Adapter. I just put it down to the irregular use it gets. Now the battery shows only 1 hour of use at full charge and worse if I pop it in its bag (fully shut down) when I come to use it a few hours later it can be down to only 10% or even down to the red safety shut off.  So time to replace it I guess. Looked on Lenovo web site for a replacement but after using the various search options all I got was no records found. So using the serial number I used the option to see what spares were listed as being available for my machine. No battery was shown as available.

Next I checked this ( and other Forums) I found that other people had the same problem and one person on this Forum said he had contacted Lenovo support directly and been told to search the Internet for a supplier. So this I did. I've now got the replacement (claimed as genuineLenovo) battery it looks identical with the same Yello Lenovo labeling and Lenovo Trademark but when I plug in the charger it charges for about 1 minute then stops with the message 'Plugged in, not charging' and the charge light flashes a slow orange pulse instead of white.

I tried just about all I can think of but after the initial minute the new battery appears to be rejected. Is there some software tweak I need to perform to get the battery charging. 

Thanks  Jack

Options

3 Posts

07-31-2019

GB

13 Signins

159 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 2 11 Battery

2019-07-31, 21:49 PM

So after doing a good bit of research on this, it seems like one of the few things I haven't tried that is being suggested as a possible fix is flashing the Bios. This something I hesitate to try, not least because I am 75 and although not claiming to be totally stupid in relation to tech. the inners of computer is something I have had to self teach myself since retiring and it's been a bit of an uphill journey for an old dog. So fiddling with the Bios is not something I would do unless there was a real chance of some actual benefit.

Now here's my problem. The latest Bios for my machine is shown with a date of  11th Feb. 2019. I ran the checksum after download and it checks out. So far so good however ......

My machine was built 14th January 2017. So you would think the Bios I have just downloaded is newer by almost 2 years but, ....

When I read the 'readme' for it this is dated 20th July 2015 (???) now when I look more closely at the readme it appears that it might be just addressing a couple of minor compatibility issues for windows 8  machines ready for upgrading to windows 10 and especially so as windows 10 was first released 29 July 2015 and there is nothing even remotely concerning power management mentioned in the 'readme'.

So as my machine was built roughly 18 months after the readme date, which date is correct? The readme date or the displayed software date on the download page, will I be gaining anything at all chancing updating the Bios with a Readme that is older than the build Bios in my machine.

Is this likely to be just some slack management of Lenovo's support page, which is in itself concerning as to the suitability of the available software they offer anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Options

3 Posts

07-31-2019

GB

13 Signins

159 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 2 11 Battery

2019-08-18, 13:39 PM

Am I really the only one with this problem?? I love this Yoga 2 11 appart from the battery management which has been a pain all along.

I now have another replacement battery from the supplier, they are adament that these are genuine Lenovo batteries but again the second battery behaves exactly as the first one did (explained above).

There has to be a solution to this, why do Lenovo not list replacement batteries on their website for their Yoga 2 11, and when you go to the trouble of trying best to establish a reliable supplier of genuine Lenovo batteries, the new battery is rejected by something in the Yoga2 software.  What in the Lenovo (or Windows sofware) causes perfectly good  and apparently genuine Lenovo batteries to be rejected.

Please! has anybody got an idea, would updating the BIOS sort it out?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save