Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
computer-cpr
Paper Tape
Views: 2,224
Message 1 of 2

Yoga 2 11 Boot from usb to Windows 8 or 10

Ok we've experienced uefi issues before with corrupt hard drives and having to reinstall a new hard drive or upgrade.  Upgrade is easy clone the disk.  However, reinstall not so much.  Ive seen multiple posts on this particular model on this website and across the web.  None really have a solution to the missing legacy option.  Being that we cannot boot via ethernet or dvd we are only left with usb.  This should be as simple as setting boot from usb in bios, but lol thats just not the case with these tablet pcs.

Anyways, firstly disable secure boot in bios along with fast boot, be sure to enable boot from usb.  You will not be able to boot from usb the way you normally would after doing this.  You will need a special tool called rufus that will create the correct partitions and convert the iso into a bootable usb.  You can do this by hand, I do it everyday when repairing boot managers in uefi systems.  But why, this little tool does it all for you.  But if you are familiar with diskpart you can do this very easily from cmd aswell.  

There are several guides on how to use efi to work with uefi only machines, but of course none of them work with this model.  What worked for us is using a vanilla iso of whatever you like win 7 win 8 win 10, and setting rufus to MBR partition scheme for UEFI, don't use GPT or UEFI/CSM it will not work with this model, although it should.  This thing only will read mbr for uefi.  pick your iso, select two passes for redundancy, and hit start.

It will hum along do its thing and complete in about 5 minutes.  Eject the thumb, power off the lenovo yoga 2 11, plug in your usb thumb, hit the novo button next to the power button on the side and a menu should pop up.  Select boot menu.  Voila!!!  You should now see your bootable EFI partition in the boot manager.  Select it and install and feel good about life.  

Hope this saves somebody some time.  From your friends at Computer CPR

Unspun
What's DOS?
Views: 815
Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga 2 11 Boot from usb to Windows 8 or 10

The problem that i have, is I cannot get my lenovo to recognize the usb unless it is in FAT32 format, which when I switch the settings in RUFUS to MBR/BIOS it automatically changes the format to NTFS to which my yoga 211 will not recognize. What the heck do I do now Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors