Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RaV3N
Not applicable
Views: 5,906
Message 31 of 44

Re: Yoga 2 11 USB boot

I was 100% with lenovo and really liked their products (this one specifically) until I have run into this same issue...  Know laptop/desktop/motherboard should be stuck on the OS that it ships with. Poeple like me have other needs for their job and home use. It was a requirment for me to dual boot this laptop. Sadly im giving it away to my brother now and Ill stick with the old brands I used to use. FAIL lenovo, people dont like bios locked..

dafzuka
Not applicable
Views: 5,868
Message 32 of 44

I'm so incredibly frustrated. After TWO MONTHS in the repair process waiting for a replacement HDD (how do they not have these in stock?!), I got the machine back two days ago and it still has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. It crashed upon initial setup and had numerous strange errors so I went to run system restore using one-key recovery. It once again croaked in the middle of the recovery process, rendering my Windows install unbootable and recovery won't work anymore either. Incredible.

On a different note, I followed the thread instructions regarding the USB recover drive they sent me (copies all the files over to a fat32 formatted usb stick) and I was actually able to get it to boot, but even this recovery environment crashes in the middle! I'm not sure I'll ever buy a Lenovo again after all this nonsense.

RaV3N
Not applicable
Views: 5,866
Message 33 of 44

I actually ended up getting it to work by installing a UEFI compliant
ubuntu (any new version) and it actually worked.

Dom2854873
Not applicable
Views: 5,856
Message 34 of 44

@dafzuka
Download and run Memtest UEFI. I think it's RAM or CPU defekt.
About USB Stick with Windows image - I use this many times, it's work perfect - it's definitely hardware mainboard problem in your laptop.
dafzuka
Not applicable
Views: 5,847
Message 35 of 44

Thanks for the reponses. I figured there must be an issue with hardware
other than the HDD. I guess I'll send it back again and hope it comes back
in working condition this time...

CSchwiening
Not applicable
Views: 5,595
Message 36 of 44

I have to agree. I needed a computer to dual boot into Windows 7 since some of my software uses the API to access 24 bit colour maps (which Windows 8 does not support). I have tried almost everything I can to get a UEFI copy of Window 7 Pro to boot on either a USB stick or DVD...no joy. I have yet to try a USB hard disk - that might be the way forward....Certainly the locking down of the BIOS to prevent a legacy boot is very annoying. I had a moment of weakness and bought a Lenovo - I won't do it again.
mathiasleroy
Not applicable
Views: 5,496
Message 37 of 44

I managed to start ubuntu in live mode. Here is how I did it; I hope this helps.

0 BIOS V1.1 : Secure Boot enabled ; fast boot enabled ; usb boot enabled

1 Downloaded Ubuntu 14.10 64bit

2 Formatted USB stick of 8G to FAT32 (just to be sure)

3 Created Bootable USB stick with Universal USB isntaller

4 Shift + reboot

5 use peripheral

6 EFI USB Device

7 there I see the ubuntu startup menu (try ; install ; OEM install ; check discs)

I tried ubuntu "without installing"

touch screen is working

wifi not

Now If I could do this with elementary OS it would be perfect.

Has anyone any idea how to install Linux to be able to dual boot and not messing up windows ?

mathiasleroy
Not applicable
Views: 5,493
Message 38 of 44

elementaryos-unstable-amd64.20140810.iso

works same as ubuntu

bbrannon
Not applicable
Views: 5,255
Message 39 of 44

Just my two cents, I tried several different ways to get USB or USB CD to boot and was unable to succeed. I was able to clone the WD HD to a Samsung 256GB SSD using Easeus todo backup software. Free.  Purchased the 90204934 Vienna HDD Cable SEAGET from EAF Supply Chain. Shipped from the UK to US.

@dafzuka wrote:

Any progress on this? I also can't boot from a USB drive and I'm unable to change the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy. My BIOS version is v1.06 and I don't have the "OS Optimized Defaults" option under the exit tab, as a few others have posted.

This is especially frustrating for me because my Windows install AND my recovery partition are dorked up. Lenovo sent me a recovery USB drive, but I can't boot from it because of these BIOS settings! Their solution is for me to mail it in for repair which is fine, but I still wish there was some way to change that BIOS setting.....

c2629128
Not applicable
Views: 5,130
Message 40 of 44

Any progress with disabling UEFI in Lenovo Yoga 2 11 ?

I have the same problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors