Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dc15
Not applicable
Views: 4,600
Message 41 of 44

Re: Yoga 2 11 USB boot

On my Yoga 2 11, an EFI boot option magically appeared on the Boot Menu (from the Novo Button Menu) when I redid the bootable USB for my new operating system using the most recent version (currently ver.1.5.12) of the free program Rufus.

Partition scheme and target system:  GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer

File system:  FAT32 (default)

16 kilobytes (Default)

Check:  Create a bootable disk using:  ISO Image, selecting from the icon to the immediate right the .iso image file that you have for the new operating system that would otherwise be used to create a bootable DVD.

I did not need to make any changes to the BIOS under BIOS setup.  (Those default options include Secure Boot <Enabled>; Platform Mode = User Mode; Secure Boot Mode = Standard; Fast Boot = Enabled; USB Boot = Enabled.)  I had initially monkeyed around with these options to no avail.  To return to the default options, I selected, "Restore Factory Keys" on the Security screen and Load Default Settings on the Exit menu, then Save and Exit.)

I did not need to update the BIOS.  I have installed, BIOS Version 1.08.

As it turned out, my first attempt was unsuccessful because the USB drive was formatted incorrectly (using the Rufus default setting of Partition Scheme = MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI computers.)

jayram1408
Not applicable
Views: 3,747
Message 42 of 44

I found the answer. It was on Wikipedia of all places. I just looked at UEFI and there it is. Here is a link. Read the whole page then you will understand. I wont put a one sentence answer here because then some people may not get it right and this wiki explains it better than I can. read this so you can  do this

jayram1408
Not applicable
Views: 3,746
Message 43 of 44

The last supported version of that BIOS was in 2005 at version 10 so this is actualy old and IBM gave it up because of problems. Lenovo a off shoot is now learning what IBM all ready did away with.

Lagos12
Not applicable
Views: 2,315
Message 44 of 44

Yes I have a easy solution to boot from usb on Yoga 2.11

I Booted Tails OS from usb   

Installed latest bios from lenova site v1.93, this one also don't have the possibility to enable legacy mode but follow the next steps 

In bios enable USB 

Set fastboot to disable

Disable secure boot

Save en exit

Insert USB and in windows (8.1) restart and hold shift button

Now you can choose to start from usb

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors